Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 11:03 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I prefer the suburbs over living the city because of high density, cost of living and less freedom. People complain about traffic because Colorado infrastructure is behind where it should be compared to other states. Colorado doesn't spend enough money on its roads and bridges in my opinion.
It is true, Denver is behind where it should be when it comes to roads and infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Yeah...I'm sick of the city. Lived in DC for 18 years, which feels a lot more urban than the city of Denver does. Spent nearly 3 years living in Seattle (proper) before moving here to Denver. Forgive me if I want my space LOL

I have no issue with the folks here on CD, nobody means any harm. But some of my hipster friends of the same age tell me about how cool it is living in the city. Mind you, many of them are from small town America (one guy is from rural Wisconsin, one guy is from Eugene, Oregon, and a third dude is from Oklahoma City). But now that they live in the city, they're so proud and excited to be living the "urban lifestyle," that they're always giving me a hard time about living down south in Parker. Dude, i'm born and raised in Northwest DC. I'm more "city" than any of you could ever imagine being LOL.
I try not to bust their bubbles, though LOL.

I work smack downtown at 18th & Broadway, but I commute home to Parker every day. Forgive me and those like me who choose not to live in the city. I've had enough city living for one lifetime. I like the open space behind my house in Parker LOL.
For me moving from NYC to suburbia would be too big a change (edited because I was being snarky) and I need to be close enough to downtown so I don't go stir crazy. I like living in Denver proper - just enough space while still being close to amenities and not sitting on a mega highway twice a day.

Nothing for us to forgive - to each their own. If everyone wanted the same thing only the mega rich would get it. Diversity in our lifestyle choices, things we want, etc is what keeps us afloat IMO. For me, I spent all my life living in shoeboxes so an 1800sqft ranch is almost too big. Some would scoff at my tiny house while others would consider it way more than they need. And, relating back to me and my own wants - I had about enough of hours of commuting and wanted to be close to Downtown so I can bike and/or drive local roads.

Finally - what exactly is wrong about your hipster friends being proud and excited about where they are currently living and how their lives turned out? Sounds like some hating to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 11:04 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,007 times
Quote:
Yeah...I'm sick of the city.

I work smack downtown at 18th & Broadway, but I commute home to Parker every day. Forgive me and those like me who choose not to live in the city. I've had enough city living for one lifetime.

I travel for a living and I'm often gone for several days at a time, traveling from one American DT to the next. Honestly they all start to look the same. The last place I want to be when I get home...is downtown.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:13 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Not necessarily. We live in Centennial and can get around just fine without driving on the highway. Everything we need on a daily basis, work included, is available within just a couple of miles using only surface streets, and we can comfortably walk to much of it.
The comment was in relation to someone who complained about it taking too long to get to activities in Denver. As I said in one of my replies, if your activities are in the suburbs, then it makes sense to live in the suburbs.

Personally, I work in town, my other family members live here, all of our activities take place here. So I'd be schlepping into Denver 6 or 7 days a week if I didn't live here. Now I'm usually no more than 15 minutes from anywhere I want to go, and I'm ok with the occasional 30 or 45 minute drive when I do choose to do something that happens to be located in the suburbs. Obviously for you, the converse of that is the case.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:02 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post

I travel for a living and I'm often gone for several days at a time, traveling from one American DT to the next. Honestly they all start to look the same. The last place I want to be when I get home...is downtown.
This is my life. I just dont see anything special about Denver. Wife and I go once ever 3 months maybe that seems plenty. I like Seattle to visit as a city, but Denver is neither that close to the mountains or close to water so it just doesnt seem appealing to even visit much. I can see why some would want to spend a long weekend in a city for a quick trip like Seattle, Boston, Chicago, SF, NY, DC etc...but Denver is just kinda boring IMO. The zoo is really nice, but other than that I dont feel like being around a bunch of bums and dirty hippies.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:13 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Main difference between now and the 60's that is true all over the West (and that I didn't see mentioned in a quick speed-read) is the incredible sprawl. I am bummed out about sprawl in Albuquerque until I drive up to Denver and realize how much worse it is there, and how far outside Denver the traffic bogs down on the I-25 mega-highway (about 12 lanes across and still bumper-to-bumper in the early p.m.). And I hear long-time residents complain about it even compared to 20 years ago. Yes, there are lots of great things to do and see in Denver, if you can get there.
Well, more people have move here. It's no L.A., where you can literally drive for hours without leaving the built-up metro area of 18 million people.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
There is nothing wrong living in the suburbs. What I get out of some people is the anti suburb vibe coming from some members on this forum.
I work in Lone Tree and live in Denver.... so I have it as bad as someone who lives in the far out 'burbs and drives into the city for work. But I have zero desire to live in Lone Tree, so I suffer... and WFH when possible.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I prefer the suburbs over living the city because of high density, cost of living and less freedom. People complain about traffic because Colorado infrastructure is behind where it should be compared to other states. Colorado doesn't spend enough money on its roads and bridges in my opinion.
How does higher density = less freedom? I prefer higher density. I can mow my entire lawn in 10 min., which means more time to do something else. Higher density in Denver means I have thousands of non-chain (crap) restaurants I can get to in 10 min.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah...I'm sick of the city. Lived in DC for 18 years, which feels a lot more urban than the city of Denver does. Spent nearly 3 years living in Seattle (proper) before moving here to Denver. Forgive me if I want my space LOL

I have no issue with the folks here on CD, nobody means any harm. But some of my hipster friends of the same age tell me about how cool it is living in the city. Mind you, many of them are from small town America (one guy is from rural Wisconsin, one guy is from Eugene, Oregon, and a third dude is from Oklahoma City). But now that they live in the city, they're so proud and excited to be living the "urban lifestyle," that they're always giving me a hard time about living down south in Parker. Dude, i'm born and raised in Northwest DC. I'm more "city" than any of you could ever imagine being LOL.
I try not to bust their bubbles, though LOL.

I work smack downtown at 18th & Broadway, but I commute home to Parker every day. Forgive me and those like me who choose not to live in the city. I've had enough city living for one lifetime. I like the open space behind my house in Parker LOL.
Well, everyone has their preferences. Maybe you were never "wired" for city living. I've always liked urban life. I don't want space outside my house, and open space? Bleh! Just invites wildlife into your yard

Old 10-16-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
This is my life. I just dont see anything special about Denver. Wife and I go once ever 3 months maybe that seems plenty. I like Seattle to visit as a city, but Denver is neither that close to the mountains or close to water so it just doesnt seem appealing to even visit much. I can see why some would want to spend a long weekend in a city for a quick trip like Seattle, Boston, Chicago, SF, NY, DC etc...but Denver is just kinda boring IMO. The zoo is really nice, but other than that I dont feel like being around a bunch of bums and dirty hippies.
lol! Stereotype much?

Old 10-16-2015, 12:28 PM

402 posts, read 369,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
What people?
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...l#post39514456
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...l#post40308299
//www.city-data.com/forum/color...l#post30748457

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I've said it before but for me it's more a matter of 'hey, you've moved here...great, now get a skin in the game and get your Colorado plates' because people who come here and refuse to change their car registration (presumably because it's cheaper in their old state) really *&%% me off.
Trust me, registration is not cheaper in CA. I agree that if you move somewhere you should try to fit in and not be like an evangelist for the place you no longer live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver