Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you best fit?
Strong liberal and like Denver's direction 15 19.74%
Strong liberal and dislike Denver's direction 1 1.32%
Moderate liberal and like 21 27.63%
Moderate liberal and dislike 2 2.63%
Centrist and like 3 3.95%
Centrist and dislike 3 3.95%
Libertarian and like 9 11.84%
Libertarian and dislike 8 10.53%
Moderate conservative and like 5 6.58%
Moderate conservative and dislike 4 5.26%
Strong conservative/Tea Party and like 0 0%
Strong conservative/Tea Party and dislike 2 2.63%
Green eggs and ham 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 01:47 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
The Fed still cant raise interest rates due to how fragile the economy is.
Not that fragile. Rates are going up... maybe in December, definitely by next summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 01:49 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
That's anarchy, not libertarianism.
Good point. Here is a short video that explains the differences among the different types of government:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDS1OHk7Lf8

Old 10-19-2015, 01:50 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The answer to that always goes back to one thing: Security. People are security junkies. People like your sister who are financially struggling are looking for a savior outside themselves so they don't have to make any changes to their lives that are outside their comfort zones. Of course, this is extremely short sighted thinking...but over a long period of time, this is how you get people to vote away their rights in favor of oligarchy/dictatorship.

It also works on the conservative side of the aisle with unquestioning support of military operations, not questioning the official story of events of 9/11, etc. Terrorist attack? More civil liberties get taken away.

The welfare state and the warfare state are just two different ways of centralizing power and control.
Its funny when some say they they dont trust the govt with anything, like health care, education, services whatever. Then they blindly follow the govt to make the right decisions on military action.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
No. There is a state and a government. It's just has no power over the people. Just like the goal of libertarianism.
You don't even understand the goal of libertarianism.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
lol! Is that what Fox Spews told you to think?
Um, no. It's documented fact that about 90% of academics are of the liberal variety.

Even liberal source Mother Jones admits it. Of course, they follow it up with "but they aren't out to indoctrinate". My response to that is you don't really have to be. We all have biases that bleed through. When you're in an environment where 90% of your peers are of the same political persuasion, that only magnifies those personal biases.

Yes, Liberals Rule the Ivory Tower

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 10-19-2015 at 02:04 PM..

Old 10-19-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philberf View Post
I think that might be something of strawman. To be gracious to libertarians, I think a more accurate characterization may be something more along the lines of desiring a clearly delineated role for government at various levels. The federal level does the things that are truly under the purview of a federal gov't, like national defense, standardized roads/rail/air travel, something like that. State level should have appropriate responsibilities - I dunno, maybe things like sales or resort/hotel taxes for state projects like state parks or museums, etc. And lastly appropriate local taxation.

The biggest difference I've noticed in my life is the fundamental disagreement between various positions as to what is the "good" in society and how should the government help or not help people achieve that specific "good."

For example, most people would agree that it's good to take care of your health. But not everyone agrees what health is, what risks they're willing to take, how much they're willing to pay for how much care, etc. So that leads to pretty significant disagreements as to how much the government ought to regulate health-related things - things from motorcycle helmet wearing, to vaccinations, to buying health insurance, and so on. Those details matter in terms of sorting out where people end up.

Should the gov't promote certain values, and if so, which ones, and with how much force behind it?
Thank you for an intelligent post instead of just one line hyperbole.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:21 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You don't even understand the goal of libertarianism.
No, I completely understand the goal. I studied it quite thoroughly. Even have a degree to back that up. What I think most libertarians fail to understand is the reality. Just like most self proclaimed communists.

Show me a single place where any sort of libertarianism has been instituted as a primary form of governance without chaos ensuing.

Again, a government that simply exists to be a police force to purportedly protect your property devolves into either a corrupt police force that is for sale to the highest bidder or a completely ineffective police force that gives way to regional strongmen.

You may choose to write this off as one line hyperbole, but absent any concrete evidence that libertarianism has actually worked anywhere, it's the truth.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:40 PM

402 posts, read 369,075 times
I've always found that leftists get very defensive and uppity whenever "libertarians" are brought up. I wonder why that is?

Old 10-19-2015, 08:06 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
a Commie Muslim American Hater. D
That is despicable description.
As a staunch, some would say militant, atheist, I take strong offense with being labeled a religionist.
But, at least, you did not label me a Papist which would cause my English ancestors to make a zombie attack against you.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:24 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumline View Post
I've always found that leftists get very defensive and uppity whenever "libertarians" are brought up. I wonder why that is?
Assuming that this was directed at me......I'm sorry if pointing out the flaws in an ideology appears uppity and defensive to you. I'd rather have a discussion on issues. Labeling people as "uppity" is about as condescending as you can get and is frankly uncalled for. I'd rather see you address the issues I raised. It would be much more productive. Also please note the complete absence of personal attacks thus far from all non libertarians in this thread.

I guess I might ask if you have ever noticed that whenever libertarianism is criticized, libertarians always seem to revert to personal attacks. Why is that?

Last edited by SkyDog77; 10-19-2015 at 09:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver