Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you best fit?
Strong liberal and like Denver's direction 15 19.74%
Strong liberal and dislike Denver's direction 1 1.32%
Moderate liberal and like 21 27.63%
Moderate liberal and dislike 2 2.63%
Centrist and like 3 3.95%
Centrist and dislike 3 3.95%
Libertarian and like 9 11.84%
Libertarian and dislike 8 10.53%
Moderate conservative and like 5 6.58%
Moderate conservative and dislike 4 5.26%
Strong conservative/Tea Party and like 0 0%
Strong conservative/Tea Party and dislike 2 2.63%
Green eggs and ham 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 01:42 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,809,949 times

Advertisements

The libertarian part of me doesn't really like what is going on in Denver.

I would never vote for Diana DeGette (thankfully, I no longer live in her district), because she is on the wrong side (IMO) of an issue that most libertarians, many liberals, and only a handful of conservatives support. In her case, I would be a single issue voter (or would simply leave her spot on the ballot blank). She cares too much about what people do to with their own money to entertain themselves.

Rep. Ed Perlmutter, however, is on the right side of it, and I will support him basically no matter what; I am a proud resident of his district once again.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:48 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
That is despicable description.
As a staunch, some would say militant, atheist, I take strong offense with being labeled a religionist.
But, at least, you did not label me a Papist which would cause my English ancestors to make a zombie attack against you.
lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 05:43 PM

402 posts, read 366,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Labeling people as "uppity" is about as condescending as you can get and is frankly uncalled for.
Saying that someone is uppity is calling out condescension, not exhibiting it. Case in point:
Quote:
Reading Ayn Rand and believing that she was espousing the single truth for a path to a just society is no different than reading Karl Marx and thinking the same. It's an adolescent fantasy world not rooted in any reality. The only difference I can see is that most people outgrow their fascination with Marx after college. Libertarians, on the other hand, just seem to get more dug in.
So libertarians are simply living in an adolescent fantasy world and never grow up. Sounds a lot like condescension to me. I'll concede that my comment was flippant and not productive though.

Nowadays it's not so hard to be a small-L "libertarian"; both parties have moved steadily towards statism, or increasing the power of the state over the individual. The assault on the 1st (free speech zones), 2nd (attacking the "supply" issue but not really being concerned with the underlying causes of violence), 4th (NSA wiretapping), 5th (Patriot Act), and 10th (limitless expansion and perversion of the commerce clause) amendments in recent years are things that I strongly oppose. FWIW, I've never read Ayn Rand. I read Marx in college because it was assigned.

Quote:
I studied it quite thoroughly. Even have a degree to back that up.
Maybe this would be better as a PM or another thread, but I find the evolution of political/social philosophies to be fascinating. Although I have not put much time into researching the modern evolutions. I've read the Federalist Papers, Thomas Paine, and John Locke. I have a copy of Leviathan that I've been meaning to get to. But anyway, do you know of good (academic, non-partisan) resources for learning about the changes in political philosophies since Marx? Even better if they include context about why/how those changes occurred.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:16 AM
Status: "Repub's IVF ruling is anti-family and anti-America" (set 13 days ago)

5,784 posts, read 3,569,406 times
America stands for freedom,
But if you think you're free,
Try walking into a parking lot,
And scratching car paint with your KEEEYYYSSS

Say filthy words to your mom,
then, go to school NAAKEEDDDD!

(my personal sanitized rendition of The Vandal's "Anarchy Burger")

Yep, "more freedom", the freedom of a coyote roaming the pastures and corn fields, really does sound like a brilliant idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver