Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 05:17 PM

386 posts, read 606,253 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this question's been asked 1 million times but it's been on my mind as I'm considering somewhere to relocate. I'm currently living in Raleigh, NC and looking to move out west. Denver is on my short list of places I'm looking at and it seems like a pretty awesome place! I am a city person (from Boston originally) but also a huge outdoors/mountains person so it seems like a perfect place for me.

The one major question I have right now is about the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and if it's had any effect on society. Contrary to many people my age, I am not "420 friendly" - I personally do not partake and think the smell is disgusting (just not a fan of any smoking whatsoever). Is this something that is a growing problem from that perspective? From what I've read public consumption is not legal but is this really widespread that I'd have to worry about it in say an apartment building or whatever? From what you hear from people and on the news, you would think that everybody in Colorado is lighting it up but I'm sure that's not the case and it may be just like there are a fair number of drunk people everywhere and you just have to avoid wherever they might be. I personally don't care whether people use marijuana or not - it is their choice but I just don't want to live in an environment where it is in my face 24/7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 05:31 PM

229 posts, read 423,805 times
Aside from smelling it maybe 10-15% more along the 16th street mall (our downtown pedestrian mall that is a giant tourist trap), I've noticed 0 difference since the legalization. Course I live in a house and not an apartment, but I have friends that do live in attached housing or apartments and they haven't noticed any change either. This has been discussed a lot on here in the past year. Some people notice it a bit more some not at all.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:46 PM

386 posts, read 606,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co_guy_94 View Post
Aside from smelling it maybe 10-15% more along the 16th street mall (our downtown pedestrian mall that is a giant tourist trap), I've noticed 0 difference since the legalization. Course I live in a house and not an apartment, but I have friends that do live in attached housing or apartments and they haven't noticed any change either. This has been discussed a lot on here in the past year. Some people notice it a bit more some not at all.
What was it like before legalization? I'm coming from the Bible Belt so I might need some background haha

Old 08-18-2015, 06:48 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Default Stoned?

Why is it that I can never remember what the question was?

Old 08-18-2015, 07:13 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,987 times
I thought the ranking of these two topics was ironic:

Old 08-18-2015, 08:54 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,569,209 times
If you are going to be offended by ever seeing marijuana or occasionally catching a whiff of it, you should not come here. There are pot shops that are very visible. Some people hate the idea of it being legal and the very thought of it offends them. If that's you, stay away.

Personally, I never see it except at concerts and it has been like that since I started going to concerts over 20 years ago.

I really feel like very little has changed for me. If you aren't looking for it, you won't find it most of the time.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:45 PM

91 posts, read 149,748 times
As the PPs have mentioned, you don't really notice it. Once in a great while, I will smell it in some random areas when my windows are rolled down, but it isn't like you are at the museum with your family and everyone is high. Yes, you will see pot shops. No, we don't all smoke here. No, most of us don't care if others do. FWITW, as a nurse, I would rather have a patient smoking pot for pain relief than popping percocet... I am moderately conservative on many of my views, but I have seen a lot more harm and stupidity come from alcohol than from MJ.

I doubt you will notice it. And, I definitely wouldn't make it a reason not to relocate here.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:55 PM

6,812 posts, read 9,365,924 times
It depends on your daily routine. I work in downtown Denver off of the 16th Street Mall and I see it and smell it every day. I also occasionally smell it in my neighborhood as well. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's in my face 24/7, but in my opinion people generally seem to not follow the rules re: public consumption.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:00 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,096,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I thought the ranking of these two topics was ironic:
The bottom one is a great pun.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:47 PM

22 posts, read 27,979 times
i'll smell it once in a while walking around my neighborhood and have definitely smelled it while snowboarding and moutain biking from people who ducked into the trees but that's about it. oh, and at concerts of course, but that's a given in any town.

speaking of concerts, i like to play a little game called "guess how long it will take the singer to mention legal weed." it's usually within the first 5 min.

"heeeey denver! so we heard you're the mile HIGH city!!!". har har! ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver