Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 10:20 AM

49 posts, read 54,179 times

Advertisements

Boulder.

It's a beautiful city, and a great introduction to Colorado. There's plenty to do, with most of the action happening in the Pearl Street Mall and surrounding areas (Broadway). You could live in north or south Boulder and bus/bike/etc to either Foothills or Broadway BMC. Broadway would be bringing you very close to all of the action of Pearl St. Foothills might be more accessible, especially if you end up living further out - like in Louisville, Superior, Lafayette.

I can't speak to how competitive it might be to get 'in' at those hospitals, but Avista in Louisville isn't far either - you would still be close enough to Boulder to enjoy. I do know that rentals are VERY competitive in Boulder (and really everywhere else here) but with your budget you will have more to choose from. I would look around for pics & videos of Boulder, maybe go on street view around the 3 hospitals in the area and see what you think. padmapper.com / hotpads.com will give you an idea of what to expect in terms of rents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 10:53 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,300,450 times
Long-time, newly retired RN here.

A new graduate should probably work in the Denver area at one of the teaching hospitals for starts. You get a lot of experience that way. Then you can get more picky. St. Anthony's in Lakewood would put you on the west side of the metro; the other teaching hospitals are in the downtownish/east Denver area plus the CU Health Science Center is in Aurora. You will likely not be able to get a job prior to residing here. I can't verify this, but I've heard Ft. Collins is very competitive.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:43 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,061,221 times
I agree with Dave that you need to narrow down location based on jobs because you can decide. You are looking at a 2 hour swing between some of the locations on your map.

Good luck with the job search and let us know as you start to narrow things down a bit more.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:56 AM

17,678 posts, read 29,607,847 times
Default Highland Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBound41 View Post
Do you have some ownership interest in that property?
Not at all.
It is near my house so I see every time I drive to Cherry Creek.
It is new.
The prices seem reasonable.
It is on a very good bus route if you are headed downtown.
It is in a neighborhood with lots happening.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:44 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,979,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds507 View Post
I’m a single 21 year old female from the Rochester, MN area. This coming spring, I will graduate with my BSN degree. My classmate (23 year old female) and I plan to find RN jobs in Colorado and move there together. We plan on having our jobs lined up before moving but we would like to know more about specific cities so we can decide which areas to apply for jobs. We will be renting our housing. We are considering cities in the Denver and Boulder areas.

Here are our main preferences in highest to lowest priority:
• Good amount of 20-somethings like us – not an area filled with only families aka cookie cutter, suburbia
• Access to amenities, things to do and nightlife – even if we have to drive a little ways
• Not too big (too many people, too busy, not enough privacy) or too small (not enough people, nothing to do) – not downtown Denver but not the middle of nowhere
• Reasonably safe – an area were crime isn’t a big issue
• Cost of living/housing isn’t a major concern for us but it would obviously be better if it wasn’t too high

Feel free to ask me questions about factors I did not mention. Let me know your suggestions for cities and rationale OR cities we should avoid and reasons why.
Boulder and Fort Collins are the only cities that will come close the meeting your criteria. You have already eliminated Denver, and everything else will be in the middle of nowhere.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:55 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,979,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds507 View Post
Here is a map I created of potential job locations: Colorado Hospitals

Our rental budget is $2,500 per month. We are looking for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment/condo/townhouse/house.
Those are all in Downtown Denver where you say you don’t want to be, or in the cookie cutter suburbs where you say you don’t want to be. You say you don’t want to live in an area that is too big, so why are all the jobs on your map in the middle of a major metro area of three million people? I think you need to go back to the drawing boards with your map.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:28 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,300,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Boulder and Fort Collins are the only cities that will come close the meeting your criteria. You have already eliminated Denver, and everything else will be in the middle of nowhere.
There are not a lot of nursing jobs in either of those cities.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:46 AM

245 posts, read 322,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Not at all.
It is near my house so I see every time I drive to Cherry Creek.
It is new.
The prices seem reasonable.
It is on a very good bus route if you are headed downtown.
It is in a neighborhood with lots happening.
Very well, you just seem to mention it a lot. I agree it is a nice place in a nice location.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:38 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,464,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Those are all in Downtown Denver where you say you don’t want to be, or in the cookie cutter suburbs where you say you don’t want to be. You say you don’t want to live in an area that is too big, so why are all the jobs on your map in the middle of a major metro area of three million people? I think you need to go back to the drawing boards with your map.
Not how I read the request. She can jump in and correct us, but I think she is saying she doesn't want to be in downtown amongst high rises. I think a neighborhood like Highland would be a great fit.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:44 AM

26,646 posts, read 13,616,801 times
The DU areas might work. Lost of young people due to the proximity to the University. Nightlife and amenities without being too busy or too quiet and all in a safe fairly centrally located area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver