Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,106 times

Advertisements

Looking at moving to Colorado at the end of next summer but I was wondering about the state of jobs especially in Denver. Are they easy to come by and what is the state of salary and tips? I'm moving from the Uk and have been a general manager of a coffee shop and an assistant manager at a restaurant for the last 5 years. In the UK most people don't declare their cash tips to the government so I'm having a hard time telling what the average take home is even for a waitress or server. Any Other tips would be welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 04:26 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,483 times
Lot's of jobs here in Denver for you. More restaurants opening every week. Good luck!

Old 11-24-2015, 08:08 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Plenty of jobs.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-24-2015 at 08:25 PM..

Old 11-25-2015, 07:15 PM

214 posts, read 260,133 times
Tons of jobs, rent is high though with respect to pay. It might be good to look for a roommate.

Also, if you are ok with it I have heard some of the upscale pot shops pay fairly well. I have heard they make $12-$15 per hour plus tips.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:46 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimeeS View Post
Looking at moving to Colorado at the end of next summer but I was wondering about the state of jobs especially in Denver. Are they easy to come by and what is the state of salary and tips? I'm moving from the Uk and have been a general manager of a coffee shop and an assistant manager at a restaurant for the last 5 years. In the UK most people don't declare their cash tips to the government so I'm having a hard time telling what the average take home is even for a waitress or server. Any Other tips would be welcome!
Tips should not be big concern. Since you worked in Management in the past, then you should seek management in this country. You will then not always be given tips or included in any tip sharing.

If you are management and given a fixed salary then you are considered an exempt employee which means you are exempt, meaning not covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act. A salaried employee will generally not receive immediate daily tips. Salaried bar manager and Salaried Dining Room Managers who interacts directly with a customer may receive a daily individual tips.

There are gratuity of banquets and events that are paid by the patrons per event but are settled on a periodic basis where salaried chefs, sous chefs, banquet captains can be her allocated a part of these tip gratuities as determined by the organization.

However upper level salaried management and salaried unit managers do not get their compensation from tips. They may receive in addition to their salary bonuses and profit sharing. Bonuses and profit sharing can also be given to hourly workers as again determined by the organization.

As a salaried exempt employee you will have other benefits--you will have the opportunity to work long hours and have your wages diluted to less per hour than the employees you supervise. Take it from me who has worked sometimes 60 to 80 hour weeks.

Keep in mind that the hospitality industry often violates labor laws. As a manager, the requirement is you need to spend more time supervising and not doing the labor and you have to be supervising a defined number of employees. Many restaurants love to call an employee a manager and give him that salary and then think they can avoid overtime and having you work long hours. Be careful and do not be fooled.

Another issue with tips. Many tip employees do not report their tips. Consequently, they may get away from paying taxes but also they loose the benefit accumulation of wages that determine social security.

Also, in workman's comp or disability determinations if you unfortunately get hurt or sick, tips hidden will not be included in any insurance payments as the companies will try to pay you less and since you lied, you lie will work against you.

There is also laws in place to tax employees to fulfill the minimum wage requirements even though they receive less per hour as the anticipated tips are included in the wage determination.

Livecontent

Old 11-27-2015, 04:11 PM

108 posts, read 125,502 times
I may have missed the clarification... do they use the word "hospitality" to describe food service jobs in the UK?

Curious because I'm a hoteliere professional and I thought you were asking about jobs within a hotel operation. If you are asking about food service jobs inside hotel, that would explain it. lol.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:48 AM

19 posts, read 13,528 times
I would keep in mind that tourism really slows down in Denver over the winter months. I work in a hotel and the difference in tips between the summer months and winter months is dramatic. Also, the hourly wage for tipped based employees is rather low, in most places in Denver it is less than minimum wage. April and May are good months to move here if possible, right before the busy season. Just something to consider.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,106 times
That's all great information thanks!!!
By hospitality I mean food and the service industry in general. I've worked in hotels, bars, restaurants and coffee shops myself.

Sounds very simliar to the industry over here. Suddenly salary managers are considered free labour but I've gained enough knowledge and assertiveness over here to be able to stand my ground with my legal rights. Obviously that will all change in the US! Especially when it comes to any benefits that come with insurence and social security. I will do my research before I go for sure.

I definitely think it'll be a learning curve that's for sure.

Thanks again

Old 12-05-2015, 05:37 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,209,539 times
Your tips vary by the establishment you can get a job at. Coffee shop staff get few tips. Best tips are at fancy resturants, resturants like Hooters (bing it), and night clubs. I should expect that the requirements for the higher paying hospitality jobs in the UK are the same as here, being attractive and having people skills is more important than having experience.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:23 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,317,672 times
This website has a listing of hospitality jobs in Denver if you are interested-Kimee

https://denver.poachedjobs.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: