Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:09 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times

Advertisements

If it's just one person traveling, Super Shuttle. If it's the entire family, we drive and use covered off-site parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 08:04 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,972 times
I use skyride almost exclusively. The exception is when I have a lot of baggage, in which case I either get a ride from someone, take Super Shuttle, or take Uber. I live close to the Greyhound station, and I try my best to be environmentally friendly, so I take the skyride whenever I can.

I'd take the new train to DIA for sure even though it's slightly less convenient than the bus because the train obviously doesn't pick up from the Greyhound station.

Advantages of the train are: not having to drive, not having to park, not having to waste money and sanity on traffic, environmental friendliness, frequency, reliability, low cost, and speed presumably.

Disadvantages: obviously less flexible pickup locations than other means of transportation.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:01 AM

557 posts, read 811,021 times
Uber. The new line will be popular though, if for no other reason, just to avoid the ridiculousness of I-70 any time of day that most people are awake.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:09 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
I live in Stapleton and have used the sky ride many times. So when the new trains station opens, I'll just take the train. But for business travel, since my company pays for it, I drive and park in the garage as close to the door as I can get lol!. For personal travel, I'd never pay those rates

Old 12-01-2015, 10:10 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
A big misconception of the public is that DIA main function is to serve the local citizens; allowing them to fly to and from their destinations.

Yes that is a service of DIA but one cannot fly out of the airport unless there is airplane there and available. In order for that plane to be at DIA, it has to have already have flown into the airport. To have the airplane fly into DIA, it has to have passengers that need and want to fly into DIA. Airplanes do not fly empty--Carriers need passengers for the economic necessity to fly a plane. If there is not enough demand for that route to DIA, then there will be no plane. Hence, no plane for the locals to use for their travel.

Basically, it is a residual benefit that is left for the locals to have an ability to travel is what is available from the inflights of others. Airplane Commerce at DIA cannot only be sustained by locals citizens and their needs of travel--it needs other travelers from other areas to fly into DIA.

In order to get more people wanting and needed to fly into the DIA, we need to create a comfortable business and recreational climate to attract those from other areas. We also have to make it easier and comfortable with less anxiety for them to get from and to the airport. That is the main function of the rail from/to the airport, not necessarily to serve only we who live here.

As is seen from these posters, many locals already have other ways to get to the airport and they are familiar with this area roads, highways and other transport as this is their home. The local residents necessarily do not always consider public transit or need it for personal travel. Travelers from other areas are not so familiar and so having a rail from the airport is an easy, cheap and quickly understandable way for them to enter Denver and to return to DIA.

We must keep in mind that our economic growth and prosperity is better served by getting others to come here and spend their money and salaries. On the other hand, it is NOT served by having our local citizens go to other places and spend their money and salaries--that benefits other areas. So, it is essential that we create a welcoming climate to get travelers from other areas and to spend and give us their money--and that is the big benefit of the rail from/to DIA.

Note: that I am saying from/to but we often say to/from because it is from DIA where we get the money of visitors, not to.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-01-2015 at 11:13 AM..

Old 12-01-2015, 10:18 AM

930 posts, read 700,487 times
When I lived closer to downtown, I would walk down to Market Street Station (when it existed) and take the SkyRide (AF) for $11 one way. When it's for a business function, I will usually drive and park, as I can expense the cost. Now that I have an Eco-Pass, I will more than likely take public transit (Bus: 105 to AF to DIA; Rail: 83L to H/future R-Line to future A-Line to DIA). I think it will only cost me $2 additional to take the AF SkyRide to DIA.

I have taken Super Shuttle before, which is pretty convenient only when going to the airport. The ride back is pretty bad, because I'm usually the last guy on the stop.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
When I lived closer to downtown, I would walk down to Market Street Station (when it existed) and take the SkyRide (AF) for $11 one way. When it's for a business function, I will usually drive and park, as I can expense the cost. Now that I have an Eco-Pass, I will more than likely take public transit (Bus: 105 to AF to DIA; Rail: 83L to H/future R-Line to future A-Line to DIA). I think it will only cost me $2 additional to take the AF SkyRide to DIA.

I have taken Super Shuttle before, which is pretty convenient only when going to the airport. The ride back is pretty bad, because I'm usually the last guy on the stop.
I applaud you with your very specific knowledge of public transit and how to fit RTD into your life. Just to point out that that the AF and AS skyrides will be discontinued when the rail starts service.

Livecontent

Old 12-01-2015, 10:50 AM

930 posts, read 700,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I applaud you with your very specific knowledge of public transit and how to fit RTD into your life. Just to point out that that the AF and AS skyrides will be discontinued when the rail starts service.

Livecontent
Thanks for the update. I was not aware of that. Admittedly, I knew very little about the public transit system a year ago outside of the SkyRide services and a little about the light rail. Now that I have the EcoPass, and use it as my primary mode of transit to work, I'm constantly studying the schedules in order to optimize my commute experience/time to and from work. I'm on my way to becoming a public transit grandmaster.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:22 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
In DIA's early days we would park at the old Stapleton parking garage and take Skyride to the airport ($6 I think.) When that parking was no longer available we parked at the Pikes Peak lot and shuttled in. Nowadays, with husband's mobility issues, we're more likely to have a family member drop us off and pick us up. But we are casual travelers and don't fly more than a few times a year. I don't anticipate using the rail to DIA.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
In DIA's early days we would park at the old Stapleton parking garage and take Skyride to the airport ($6 I think.) When that parking was no longer available we parked at the Pikes Peak lot and shuttled in. Nowadays, with husband's mobility issues, we're more likely to have a family member drop us off and pick us up. But we are casual travelers and don't fly more than a few times a year. I don't anticipate using the rail to DIA.
I can understand the problems your husband has with mobility issues. I am also disabled and have severe mobility issues. There are benefits and advantages that are also available to you from RTD.

Your husband may get approval for Access-a-Ride which will give him pickup and return service from his house. It has a cost, generally twice the normal fare, but you can ride free as an attendant. Your husband also gets free pass to all RTD transit on buses and trains if he is able that day and his changing condition allow him to use these vehicles and destinations that he can reach. Supplemental cab fare is also available.

Going to the airport with Access-a-Ride is easy and the cost are minimal. I will quote the new rate going in effect in January 2016. The transport will cost $17.50, one way. Considering this will pick your husband up at his house and take him to and from the airport--that is a good value. Again, you can ride free as an attendant. Or if he can take the train--he rides free and a relative can more easily take him or pick him up at the many connecting rail stations vs. driving all the way to the airport.

Just some suggestions as many disable are not aware of these benefits.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver