Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 02:44 PM

20 posts, read 25,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
I also grew up in MSP and escaped when I was 21yrs.

I agree with you that MSP is fairly sunny in the winter, but the sun is for looks only and radiates almost zero heat. Conversely the winter sun in Denver will often make temps skyrocket to the point where one can wear a t-shirt for a couple hours during midday.

Indeed, I agree. The winter sun is not nearly as warm as Colorado's high-elevation winter sun. But it isn't "gloomy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 03:23 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,877,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
Be careful not to focus strictly on weather for relocation. Even if you find the "perfect" spot weather-wise, if you don't look deeply at jobs and cost of living and can't make it work budget-wise, the particular location could become meaningless.
Agreed. And houses in Dever cost probably twice what they do in Minneapolis. But if you're determined then I say get out of Minneapolis now and enjoy your life. I loved Denver when I lived there.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:25 PM

369 posts, read 966,900 times
I grew up in Saint Paul, and would move back if it weren't for the winters. Denver winters are much easier to deal with than the Twin Cities.

Denver has more average snowfall that the Twin Cities, but the snow doesn't stick around. It's sunnier and the average temps are higher:

City Climate Comparisons

Denver's average highs in the winter bottom out in the mid 40s, whereas the Twin Cities keep to the mid 20s. Highs like that in the winter mean that the snow doesn't stick around, the lakes/ponds here don't stay frozen, etc.

Also, Denver's mountains are a big winter playground that make things fun.

Things in general I miss from the Twin Cities are: lush natural forest coverage (Denver area is high plains grasslands - 97% of the tree in the metro area are human planted - mountains are a different story), lots of bodies of natural water (Denver area has a few sad man made reservoirs - there are a few nice big lakes up in the mountains), arts and culture (Denver has a solid art/music scene, but not like the Twin Cities), general progressive mindset (Colorado is extremely tax-adverse and doesn't have a 'let's help each other' attitude as the Twin Cities - Denver proper and Boulder are exceptions).

Don't miss: Bugs, humidity, lack of mountains...

Old 12-04-2015, 09:31 PM

106 posts, read 373,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
But you will pay close to $750/month in taxes for a $500,000 house. Here, it's about $200. That amps the payment up quite a bit. We were just in Mpls/St. Paul a month or so ago, and we checked that out.
Denver property taxes are cheaper (sales tax slightly higher though), but that’s a huge exaggeration on property taxes. We have a house just under that price in St Paul and we are paying $350/month, I wouldn’t call it cheap, but I feel the increase is worth it for the services we get. We also lived in Denver, so understand the difference between the two.

Denver is great though and there are things we miss, especially the milder winters. The Minneapolis Area just offers more for us at a better price. Our line of work also pays more in Mpls than Denver, so that helps with the lack of mountains and colder weather.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akronbball View Post
Denver property taxes are cheaper (sales tax slightly higher though), but that’s a huge exaggeration on property taxes. We have a house just under that price in St Paul and we are paying $350/month, I wouldn’t call it cheap, but I feel the increase is worth it for the services we get. We also lived in Denver, so understand the difference between the two.

Denver is great though and there are things we miss, especially the milder winters. The Minneapolis Area just offers more for us at a better price. Our line of work also pays more in Mpls than Denver, so that helps with the lack of mountains and colder weather.
I am telling the truth. We saw a house for sale in St. Paul, on the Mississippi River Blvd. The asking price was $500,000. It was built in the 1950s. We looked up the current taxes, and they were about $8500/year. Ours, for a house of that value (and this house will probably sell for less), and 30 years newer, are about $2100. $8500/yr is $708/mo. So I wasn't exaggerating by much. And for the life of me, I can't figure out what people are getting for all those taxes.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:03 PM

17,714 posts, read 29,849,261 times
Default Ice time

Quote:
I am telling the truth... for all those taxes.
For you, a skating rink.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Oh, please.

2183 Jefferson Ave, Saint Paul, MN 55105 | Zillow
Taxes: 2014-$8136

Yeah, I just made it all up, dave.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,751 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Denver winter is just a 'wift' of snow (often gone by noon)
Colorado snow (front range) is basically light powdery stuff you can blow away. (with a few exceptions / yr)

There can be a few wet snows in fall and spring (similar to MSP, but without the CHILL / -20F temps.) If it gets real cold in CO, it seldom snows.

Sun is more intense, so you can drive around without a coat. car is plenty warm. Just cold getting TO car.

Chinook winds (warm) can follow a snow, and poof... it is 50 - 60f (day and night)

Roads are generally clear most of winter.

BIG snows can be problematic for clearing / disposing of snow.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:29 PM

106 posts, read 373,176 times
Quote:
Oh, please.

2183 Jefferson Ave, Saint Paul, MN 55105 | Zillow
Taxes: 2014-$8136

Yeah, I just made it all up, dave.
It all depends on the County and City you live. The City of St Paul proper has one of the highest in the Metro Area, so I would say that is high.

I saw that Adams County pays on average of $1,623/month on a house of $186,600.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:33 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,571,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akronbball View Post
It all depends on the County and City you live. The City of St Paul proper has one of the highest in the Metro Area, so I would say that is high.

I saw that Adams County pays on average of $1,623/month on a house of $186,600.
If you are talking Adams county Colorado, you are confusing assessed value of the structure for tax bill. The bill on a property of that value would be under $1,000 a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver