Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 12:00 AM

64 posts, read 81,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedore View Post
You've already made the best decision in getting out of L.A.; with your means, everything should go smooth and will take care of itself. Early to mid 90's is when LA/So. Cal started to go down the tubes, just too many people. You used to be able to get around freely and get somewhere/anywhere in a half hour during the 70's and 80's, pipe dream now. The heavy influx of illegal's coming into the state from Mexico & Guatemala in the late 80's and 90's was when things started to change.
Hi Steve. I completely agree. (well obviously) After over 30 years between my husband and I in LA, we've both had enough. There's always been a part of me that believed the early to mid 90's would have been the best time to be here; not just for cost, but also career in entertainment etc. Everything was just a bit more appealing back then. The housing market just in the last 1 yr to 1.5 yrs has changed drastically. homes we were looking at then, don't even exist anymore and the couple of homes that you can find on the market are so grossly overpriced it's actually disturbing. I can't imagine what most ppl are sacrificing to stay here. We have so many friends that literally have nothing to their name, but enough for rent, some gas and low quality food. Our wealthy friends grumble and moan about their high taxes etc. It just seems like a never ending spiral downward. Rent? Outlandish and insulting. Landlords here are getting away with the equivalent of rape, murder and kidnapping in terms of what they're charging.

As a family and no longer two city singles, we just cannot consciously stay here and frivolously toss our hard earned money away. On top of that, it's not worth it, literally and figuratively. Our careers will always have us be here to some degree throughout a year, and we think that 'visiting' LA, vs living here will give us a greater appreciation for what outsiders (so to speak) think qualifies this as a great place. (i.e. ocean, weather, scenery etc). We're throwing our chips in, walking away with smiles on our faces and warm farewells from our friends, who admire our chutzpah for uprooting (b/c NO ONE is allowed to leave LA/Hollywood apparently lol), and also us truly choosing a better lifestyle for our family vs running in a rat race with no finish line.

So thank you for the kind words and acknowledgment of just how tough/unpleasant it is here. x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 08:05 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times
First, Denver metro is nice, but like L.A., not for everyone. My wife has lived/worked in L.A. and I've worked in L.A.. We lived there for years, before we met/married, but are both from "snow-belt" areas........her, southeastern Michigan and me, northeastern Indiana.

L.A. can be bad, but there are plenty of people living there that think it's great.......earthquakes, traffic, cost-of-living and all. Denver metro can be "no picnic" when caught driving in a blinding snowstorm. A number of former So. Calif. people could think to themselves, "what the "H" am I doing here, in this?" L.A. traffic doesn't seem nearly as bad compared to being caught in that snowstorm. BUT, once there, and settled in with kids in school, new house just bought and working, most just can't "pick up things and move".

When I met my wife in 2000, in So. Calif., I mentioned to her about moving to metro Denver and she was all for it. I had already visited there and pretty much knew I wanted to try living there. Our interests included pro-rodeo, power-boating and seeing Bull Elk in RMNP. There is definitely "rodeo action" on the Eastern Slope (Denver metro/north and south). Some great lakes, for boating/fishing and a nice drive to the mountains to see those Bull Elk. Great zoo in Denver as well. We lived in both Englewood (apartment) and Parker (house) from mid 2002 thru later 2007. Some nasty snowstorms and a few blizzards hit during those years and there are times in the winter, temps can get down pretty low at night......and even during the day.

Anyway, we moved in later 2007. Mainly due to the winter weather. It just got to us at age 58. Currently living in northeastern Florida and in a year/half will be moving back to Denver metro/south. By that time, we will both be retired and won't have to drive in those snowstorms back and forth to work like we did when we lived there.

We love Colorado/Eastern Slope and really miss a lot of things about it. We still have our winter parka's from there!

Bottom line is, nobody in this forum is trying to talk you out of moving to the "Eastern Slope", but definitely want to let you know what you are moving to. It sure isn't L.A., but that doesn't mean that it's good or bad. If you do decide to move, just be PREPARED for the winters......they can sometimes get fairly rough!

Old 12-14-2015, 09:16 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie'sMom View Post
Hi Philberf, thanks for the responses.
As for things to do, yes, we are talking about parks/hiking/playgrounds, shopping, ( a decent mall, target, etc) outdoors things, community events to attend. I want our kids to be able to see/engage with other children. Stapleton really had a great vibe as far as kids/families. They were EVERYWHERE. Literally, running around outside, riding bikes, we really liked that. The problem with stapleton, was the tract homes for us. Many of those communities, the building was below par. We have DR Horton, etc out here, and I've researched these big builders and there are so many complaints with them everywhere and I just do not trust them, nor like their style, of cookie cutter, toss them up in a matter of weeks types of builds. I just wish we could take the stapleton vibe and drop it in the Timbers lol. Right now it's The Timbers at the Pinery that we are about to make an offer on.
We moved from the LA area to Stapleton 10 years ago, and have had no problems with our house (it was new when we moved in). It took about 7 months for it to be built.

I don't see how you get "cookie cutter" out of Stapleton since it's about as non cookie cutter as you will ever find in a new development. So many styles of houses, and they mix the builders up so you don't have all the same builder in one area. Castle Rock and Park always strike me as more cookie cutter, where all the houses are some shade of beige and the same builder builds out an entire neighborhood. Plus, Stapleton has a fair number of larger custom build homes.

But anyway, if you don't like "the city", then you'd hate Stapleton. I don't know where you can find the social interaction of Stapleton, but houses far apart. It seems like the further apart houses are, the more the residents want nothing to do with their neighbors.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:24 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Well, I'm not too sure about that (in red below). What I do remember is........being raised on a hog farm during my teen years and most of the other local farmers (and their families) would help out each other during "haying" season, taking livestock to market and other farm related duties. And, from what I'm told, that still happens. In fact, some of those local farmers will get together on Sundays, during the summer, and have a BBQ at one of the farms. And, I know ranch life is the same way.

Now, the other side of that is this: After wife and I bought our house in a housing development in Parker, CO, most of the neighbors wouldn't have anything to do with us. Why? Because the houses were "family" houses w/small kids and/or teens living there. We were in our mid-50's w/no kids. Just wife and I. The houses were on a quarter acre and very close to each other. We did get to know one neighbor (across the street), because she was from the Philippines and made a fantastic shrimp and rice dinner. Her husband was a former Marine.

To be honest, from what we remember of the Highlands Ranch area, that could be a good area for the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
We moved from the LA area to Stapleton 10 years ago, and have had no problems with our house (it was new when we moved in). It took about 7 months for it to be built.

I don't see how you get "cookie cutter" out of Stapleton since it's about as non cookie cutter as you will ever find in a new development. So many styles of houses, and they mix the builders up so you don't have all the same builder in one area. Castle Rock and Park always strike me as more cookie cutter, where all the houses are some shade of beige and the same builder builds out an entire neighborhood. Plus, Stapleton has a fair number of larger custom build homes.

But anyway, if you don't like "the city", then you'd hate Stapleton. I don't know where you can find the social interaction of Stapleton, but houses far apart. It seems like the further apart houses are, the more the residents want nothing to do with their neighbors.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
First, Denver metro is nice, but like L.A., not for everyone. My wife has lived/worked in L.A. and I've worked in L.A.. We lived there for years, before we met/married, but are both from "snow-belt" areas........her, southeastern Michigan and me, northeastern Indiana.

L.A. can be bad, but there are plenty of people living there that think it's great.......earthquakes, traffic, cost-of-living and all. Denver metro can be "no picnic" when caught driving in a blinding snowstorm. A number of former So. Calif. people could think to themselves, "what the "H" am I doing here, in this?" L.A. traffic doesn't seem nearly as bad compared to being caught in that snowstorm. BUT, once there, and settled in with kids in school, new house just bought and working, most just can't "pick up things and move".

When I met my wife in 2000, in So. Calif., I mentioned to her about moving to metro Denver and she was all for it. I had already visited there and pretty much knew I wanted to try living there. Our interests included pro-rodeo, power-boating and seeing Bull Elk in RMNP. There is definitely "rodeo action" on the Eastern Slope (Denver metro/north and south). Some great lakes, for boating/fishing and a nice drive to the mountains to see those Bull Elk. Great zoo in Denver as well. We lived in both Englewood (apartment) and Parker (house) from mid 2002 thru later 2007. Some nasty snowstorms and a few blizzards hit during those years and there are times in the winter, temps can get down pretty low at night......and even during the day.

Anyway, we moved in later 2007. Mainly due to the winter weather. It just got to us at age 58. Currently living in northeastern Florida and in a year/half will be moving back to Denver metro/south. By that time, we will both be retired and won't have to drive in those snowstorms back and forth to work like we did when we lived there.

We love Colorado/Eastern Slope and really miss a lot of things about it. We still have our winter parka's from there!

Bottom line is, nobody in this forum is trying to talk you out of moving to the "Eastern Slope", but definitely want to let you know what you are moving to. It sure isn't L.A., but that doesn't mean that it's good or bad. If you do decide to move, just be PREPARED for the winters......they can sometimes get fairly rough!
Trying to think how old I was in 2007! Yeah, same as you. The weather doesn't bother me, nor my DH who is a year older. We both retired this summer, he's still working on contract, but won't have to go in when the weather's bad. But through last winter, yes, we both drove to work in the snow. I wouldn't want any worse of a winter than metro Denver's though. Our DD moved to Minneapolis a couple years ago. She can have it!

Old 12-14-2015, 03:13 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Well, I'm not too sure about that (in red below). What I do remember is........being raised on a hog farm during my teen years and most of the other local farmers (and their families) would help out each other during "haying" season, taking livestock to market and other farm related duties. And, from what I'm told, that still happens. In fact, some of those local farmers will get together on Sundays, during the summer, and have a BBQ at one of the farms. And, I know ranch life is the same way.

Now, the other side of that is this: After wife and I bought our house in a housing development in Parker, CO, most of the neighbors wouldn't have anything to do with us. Why? Because the houses were "family" houses w/small kids and/or teens living there. We were in our mid-50's w/no kids. Just wife and I. The houses were on a quarter acre and very close to each other. We did get to know one neighbor (across the street), because she was from the Philippines and made a fantastic shrimp and rice dinner. Her husband was a former Marine.

To be honest, from what we remember of the Highlands Ranch area, that could be a good area for the OP.
I can't say anything about farms/rural areas since I've never lived rural before, but that makes sense.

I think in more suburban areas with huge lots, people choose huge lots because they don't want to see/interact with neighbors and want privacy. Therefore, not much of a social aspect to large lot neighborhoods. That's not to say one person couldn't have very different experiences.

I hear parts of HR are very social, similar to Stapleton.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:13 AM

132 posts, read 132,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie'sMom View Post
Hi Steve. I completely agree. (well obviously) After over 30 years between my husband and I in LA, we've both had enough. There's always been a part of me that believed the early to mid 90's would have been the best time to be here; not just for cost, but also career in entertainment etc. Everything was just a bit more appealing back then. The housing market just in the last 1 yr to 1.5 yrs has changed drastically. homes we were looking at then, don't even exist anymore and the couple of homes that you can find on the market are so grossly overpriced it's actually disturbing. I can't imagine what most ppl are sacrificing to stay here. We have so many friends that literally have nothing to their name, but enough for rent, some gas and low quality food. Our wealthy friends grumble and moan about their high taxes etc. It just seems like a never ending spiral downward. Rent? Outlandish and insulting. Landlords here are getting away with the equivalent of rape, murder and kidnapping in terms of what they're charging.

As a family and no longer two city singles, we just cannot consciously stay here and frivolously toss our hard earned money away. On top of that, it's not worth it, literally and figuratively. Our careers will always have us be here to some degree throughout a year, and we think that 'visiting' LA, vs living here will give us a greater appreciation for what outsiders (so to speak) think qualifies this as a great place. (i.e. ocean, weather, scenery etc). We're throwing our chips in, walking away with smiles on our faces and warm farewells from our friends, who admire our chutzpah for uprooting (b/c NO ONE is allowed to leave LA/Hollywood apparently lol), and also us truly choosing a better lifestyle for our family vs running in a rat race with no finish line.

So thank you for the kind words and acknowledgment of just how tough/unpleasant it is here. x
I've been getting some flack from my parents because I want out; they don't want there grandchild to move away though. I think he'd have a better life in Colorado and If I did move, I'd do it before he starts his schooling in 3 years. My wife loves Colorado and lived there for a few years prior to us meeting; the only catch is I couldn't quit my job (Longshoreman). The salary, flexibility as far as working as little as one day a month and the benefits are simply too good to walk away from. It would be a commute situation, one round trip flight a month, two weeks in L.A and the rest of the month in Colorado. Crazy? Maybe, but I kind of look at it like a sacrifice for my family; we'll see, I have 3 years to figure it out and make a decision one way or the other.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the input. My parents actually just bought a place & moved to Florida for the winter months that can be a real pain back in the midwest. My mom's almost 60 and has the same complaints about the cold weather; for her, it just seems to affect her joints etc. Whereas when she visits us in SoCal, she says her body feels really good/pain free.

Being from the midwest, I've experienced some pretty bad winters throughout my childhood through college. My husband lived in New Mexico for a time, and said that the winters are even worse there than Colorado. I'm sure I'll have 'winter shock' simply b/c I have successfully avoided the winter weather back home at all costs for the last decade or so. lol. Good thing is, we'll be spending majority of the winter time, between Cali and Florida, due to work and visiting my parents. Also, us not 'working' there I hope helps with the weather, as commuting to a 9-5 job isn't an issue and the kids are years from entering school.

There are many things I really enjoy about LA, the weather being one, when it's not sweltering and drought induced the ocean, etc…then there are things I don't miss, that of course could happen anywhere, but earthquakes really bother me. It's something I will never ever get used to or think is normal. Also, it's a target city. Just this morning, they shut down all of LAUSD schools almost 700,000 students b/c of a serious terrorist threat. again, this could happen in NYC, or any major city, Denver included, but LA just has that magnetic pull of natural disaster drama and crap like this.

I wish everyone the best on whatever endeavors they embark on. x

Old 12-15-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedore View Post
I've been getting some flack from my parents because I want out; they don't want there grandchild to move away though. I think he'd have a better life in Colorado and If I did move, I'd do it before he starts his schooling in 3 years. My wife loves Colorado and lived there for a few years prior to us meeting; the only catch is I couldn't quit my job (Longshoreman). The salary, flexibility as far as working as little as one day a month and the benefits are simply too good to walk away from. It would be a commute situation, one round trip flight a month, two weeks in L.A and the rest of the month in Colorado. Crazy? Maybe, but I kind of look at it like a sacrifice for my family; we'll see, I have 3 years to figure it out and make a decision one way or the other.

I totally can relate. Most of our friends though they want to get out of here, simply can't. Their jobs have them here so they have to just make due with what they have. Your situation sounds light years better than theirs, b/c you do somewhat have that option to leave and just spend half your time between the two states. Much like we will be doing, though the consistency of doing it every month for X amount of time isn't set as it would be for you. Do what's best and I'm sure in the next 3 years the answer will come to you and your family.
Waking up this morning to the terror threat that shut down all of LAUSD schools, wasn't much fun either. Plus, as I've stated I just always have this terrible foreboding feeling of disaster here. Whether it's an earthquake or a terror threat. It's just always something that hovers in my conscience. Anything can happen anywhere, but something about Cali/SoCal has just never set right with me.

Wish you and your family the best on your future. x

Old 12-15-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I can't say anything about farms/rural areas since I've never lived rural before, but that makes sense.

I think in more suburban areas with huge lots, people choose huge lots because they don't want to see/interact with neighbors and want privacy. Therefore, not much of a social aspect to large lot neighborhoods. That's not to say one person couldn't have very different experiences.

I hear parts of HR are very social, similar to Stapleton.

yeah, we loved the family vibe that we instantly saw in Stapleton. Kids everywhere, parents walking, dogs etc. It was truly great. The problem was the housing. The houses just weren't to our liking. The neighborhoods were cute/warm, but many of the surrounding areas leading to them were very much 'city,' which we're trying to get away from.

Highlands Ranch, had a lot of tract homes, at least what we saw, and I just cannot live in a tract home, well, not any I've seen in my life so far. Looking out of any of my windows and into my neighbors homes, or having to draw the curtains at night so no one sees me walking around nude from the shower to my bedroom, isn't something I want to deal with.

If we could drop the house in Parker, with the land included, in Stapleton, OR have the house and land along with the Stapleton vibe we saw/felt, it would be perfect. But we just couldn't buy a home that we didn't truly like, unfortunately.

We like a large lot, for privacy and also safety. If one of our kids get out of the front or back door, they're not right into the street where they can get hit, b/c the property is far from the street. We like for the kids to have a play area, enough yard for cookouts, gardening, and just our own little world. But at the same time, we love to socialize and meet folks, just don't want to meet them in our backyard lol. We have a huge lot now here in LA, but it's big left to right, not front to back, so we constantly hear the neighbors behind us arguing, yelling, smell their smoke, hear their dog barking every morning at 4am when they put him outside in their yard etc. It's not fun. It's great when you have amazing neighbors, but many times, you have no clue who is living around you nor how they live until you're living there and already stuck. It's a catch 22.

We plan on introducing ourselves to our neighbors and making an attempt to be cordial/friendly. Hopefully they'll be receptive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver