Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 08:49 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Yes, yes. Fair assessment of rude and/or reserved (?) Bostonians and New Englanders.

I'm not from the area but have lived here from college into my 50s, and I actually think most are kind and considerate, even friendly. But I see otherwise on the Boston forum at times, from locals and visitors, and from some visitors riding in my cab.

But there is no eye contact on the streets, EVEN the neighborhood side streets where yuppies and newcomers might live. Occasionally, someone will say "hi" at 5:30 a.m. as we pass on a side street, they figuring I live there.

But would I expect any eye contact or nods in your Capitol/Capital (?) Hill area or similar pockets? Would I nowadays, esp. with so many transplants?
People don't make eye contact/say "hi" in urban environments. I don't... there are just people everywhere and I don't know them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 09:12 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
Speaking about the stereotypical rude or aloof Bostonian/New Englanders...I was walking from the subway in the drizzle and dark tonight in South Boston, a neighborhood still firmly entrenched in the past, in a way, with some insular Irish still left...but parts are hip with yuppies and new luxury units. (Lots of newcomers plus the old timers and some minorities in housing projects but still pretty white overall.)

I passed a woman on a side street who was exiting a playground with two dogs. I often carry two large tote bags, and they always attract curious dogs. When I explained to her how dogs flock to my tote bags, perhaps sensing a treat or just sniffing for safety, she was pleasant and wished me a "Happy Holiday."

See...(!) people here can be pleasant but skeptics may say she's a newcomer and not third-generation Southie born and bred. (Good Will Hunting was based in this area as well as gangster/murderer Whitey Bulger way back then.)

Anyway, about eye contact I had mentioned: Over the years, two taxi pax observed there's no eye contact in Boston. One had moved to Washington Square in Brookline from the Rockridge area of Oakland. The other was living in a luxury hi-rise rental in desirable Brookline near Boston University; he's from Chicago and noted that unlike here, when you're in an elevator there with strangers, you acknowledge them, whether a nod, smile or small talk. Here, we say nothing and look down or up...but really, isn't that the norm nearly anywhere strangers ride elevators, whether a business, hospital or apt. building? Is Boston, or even Denver, really that different? Personally, I find it uncomfortable and invasive to make eye contact or conversation with strangers in random elevators or neighborhoods during the day. But I love to answer questions or help tourists when asked. Wouldn't most females feel violated by creepy males of any age saying "hi" or nodding/chatting when passing closely on a sidewalk or elevator? Now if the guy is hot, even she may feel differently?

BTW, I do like how busy the Denver and Colorado Springs forum is compared to Boston's forum!

Old 12-23-2015, 09:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
^^IME, this is the most respectful forum on CD!

Old 12-24-2015, 12:32 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^IME, this is the most respectful forum on CD!
THere's not a lot to complain about, living in Denver. I drop in the the Kansas City forum now and then since I grew up there, and it's a lot of fighting. Running a state line through a metro area just seems to put everyone at one another's throats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver