Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 02:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,108 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm 27 years old woman and I'm applying for a job at the UC Anschutz campus in Aurora. The job seems really cool but I'm concerned about the cost of living in Denver. Right now I'm making 46K in Houston, and despite loving the city, I'm having trouble finding higher paying jobs in my field here. The prospective job is going to be in the range of 48k-58k, which sounds awesome until I plugged those numbers into one of those cost of living calculators, which tells me that I'd essentially be making the same salary that I have right now (since TX doesn't have state income tax). Is this true? Is the rent and COL really that high in the Denver/Aurora area?

Also, how diverse is Denver? Are there lots of cultural activities in the city? What's the dating scene like for twentysomething young professionals?

Any advice and insight is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 02:17 PM

26,152 posts, read 48,842,672 times
To see rental prices, look at padmapper.com and beware the warnings about scammers on craigslist. Rents are high in Denver.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:24 PM

13,826 posts, read 29,840,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliophile28 View Post
Is this true? Is the rent and COL really that high in the Denver/Aurora area?

Also, how diverse is Denver? Are there lots of cultural activities in the city? What's the dating scene like for twentysomething young professionals?

You are right to be concerned about the COL here. Rent is really that high.

Not as diverse as Houston. We have museums, arts, the occasional street fair, but the Broncos take up 70% of the culture here. We have tons of 20-something single yuppies, so you're fine in that regard.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:34 PM

5,843 posts, read 6,140,151 times
OP, where do you live in Houston now and where do you work? If you work in the Texas Medical Center, you will be pleasantly surprised by how small and easy to navigate Anschutz is. The challenge is going to be that while the Med Center is located in an urban location surrounded by a lot of desirable inner loop neighborhoods, Anschutz is not in a desirable part of town. The good news is Denver is much smaller, so there are plenty of great, walkable urban neighborhoods where you can live and still have a decent commute to Anschutz. As far as rental prices go, again, a lot of it depends on where you live in Houston. If you are living inside the loop in a nice place, I think you will find Denver to have higher rental prices, but not that much higher.

You're going to have a lot more "neighborhoods with character" options than Houston has. I would avoid living in Aurora. Not a good choice for your demographic or lifestyle.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:20 PM

244 posts, read 412,402 times
Rent is getting astronomical, especially within Central Denver. The benefit of having a job at Anschutz is you could live in Aurora which tends to be more economical, but still have easy access to many of the benefits of downtown.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:23 PM

214 posts, read 258,862 times
Quote:
Hi all, I'm 27 years old woman and I'm applying for a job at the UC Anschutz campus in Aurora. The job seems really cool but I'm concerned about the cost of living in Denver. Right now I'm making 46K in Houston, and despite loving the city, I'm having trouble finding higher paying jobs in my field here. The prospective job is going to be in the range of 48k-58k, which sounds awesome until I plugged those numbers into one of those cost of living calculators, which tells me that I'd essentially be making the same salary that I have right now (since TX doesn't have state income tax). Is this true? Is the rent and COL really that high in the Denver/Aurora area?

With the higher taxes and higer housing costs you will probably be paying $400-$600 a month more to live in Denver.

If I were you I would stay in Houston. Isn't the housing market there dropping? You might be able to get a good deal on a house or condo in the next year or two.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
OP, where do you live in Houston now and where do you work? If you work in the Texas Medical Center, you will be pleasantly surprised by how small and easy to navigate Anschutz is. The challenge is going to be that while the Med Center is located in an urban location surrounded by a lot of desirable inner loop neighborhoods, Anschutz is not in a desirable part of town. The good news is Denver is much smaller, so there are plenty of great, walkable urban neighborhoods where you can live and still have a decent commute to Anschutz. As far as rental prices go, again, a lot of it depends on where you live in Houston. If you are living inside the loop in a nice place, I think you will find Denver to have higher rental prices, but not that much higher.

You're going to have a lot more "neighborhoods with character" options than Houston has. I would avoid living in Aurora. Not a good choice for your demographic or lifestyle.
I'm living in the Med Center area right now and I really like the fact that it's close to Montrose and Museum District. Bummer to hear Aurora isn't the same Thanks!

Old 01-08-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty-Mill View Post
With the higher taxes and higer housing costs you will probably be paying $400-$600 a month more to live in Denver.

If I were you I would stay in Houston. Isn't the housing market there dropping? You might be able to get a good deal on a house or condo in the next year or two.
Yeah, it is definitely dropping though it'd be hard for me to get a down payment on a single income. Oh well, we'll see how the salary negotiation goes.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:04 PM

5,843 posts, read 6,140,151 times
Quote:
I'm living in the Med Center area right now and I really like the fact that it's close to Montrose and Museum District. Bummer to hear Aurora isn't the same Thanks!
Sorry, gone for a few days and just saw this....

The good news is that Denver has tons of older, fun urban neighborhoods that will remind you of the areas you like near the Med Center in Houston. And since Denver is so much smaller and more compact, if you are willing to drive 20-30 minutes or so, you have many options on where to live. The best, closest neighborhood options that are popular with professionals who work in Anschutz, are Stapleton (and maybe Lowry). Those are more family oriented (not as many singles). But, they might be both work taking a look at.

City Park is the park where the museums in Denver are located, and like in Houston, there is a lot of residential around there as well. Look at City Park, Cheesman Park, Congress Park, South Park Hill and surrounding areas. Maybe Baker, Hale. Here's a link to a map that might be helpful for you (FYI- Anschutz does not appear on this map, because it's not Denver, but it's located just to the S/SE of where you see Stapleton and Montbello).

http://www.denverhomesonline.com/fil...ods_Proper.jpg

If you really want to go urban, consider living downtown. That might be the point at which the commute becomes more than you want to do, though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver