Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 08:42 AM

108 posts, read 125,594 times

Advertisements

Wondering where to live now that I'm in Denver.

I've looked at loft's by Coors Field. Chestnut Pl, Inca St, Huron St, Wynkoop St, Wazee St... after reading reviews and whatnot, apparently this is a "don't walk at night alone" and "expect robbery, both physical and vehicular" I see that it boarders the Five Points area, but... How concerning is this for real? I walked it all yesterday from 10AM until Noon. I can see how that LoDo area would attract some crime, but is this a steady thing or just towards people who haven't lived in a city environment before. Meaning they make themselves an easy target?

Also noticing many of the high rise condo's have reviews of poor staff attitudes, known building shortcuts (like A/C & Heat and hot water shortage) and unsafe parking due to "lingerers getting into garages to stay warm." The Spiro and Glass House being two that routinely came up.

How about the commute into Downtown from either the West or East. As of this morning, with snow in the forecast, 70 had 4 accidents.
Tuesday I took the 25 to Broadway into DT, not only was it bumper to bumper, that left lane gets crazy tight.
Are there known side roads that are an easier flow?

How close is the Montclair neighborhood to the "not so nice" area of Aurora?

Any suggestions on where to live in the Downtown area, specifically from say 20th & Chestnut Pl to 14th to Colfax?

I'm trying to sort through the nonsense. Be it from those with unrealistic expectations to those who are perpetually afraid. If driving into DT is the only way to get a nicer neighborhood that's fine too, I'm just trying to get some truth... if even possible.

Oh, and I've searched the crime statistics... not sure it's accurate enough to base an educated decision on.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 09:34 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,191,336 times
Of all the major cities I have lived in, Denver is, far and away, the absolute safest place overall. In fact, the bad parts of town in Denver/Aurora are so far removed from the dangers in other cities I have lived (Houston, and New Orleans, in particular), that it's almost comical.....and you know what? That's a good thing. More cities should aspire to be like Denver. I think you bring up a good point about maybe a lot of the concern comes from people who are not used to urban living.

As far as your question about Montclair in relation to bad parts of Aurora, they are not far away from each other, but I think direct proximity is buffered by Lowry and other areas. I would say Lowry and Stapleton are the two neighborhoods that feel that rub from Aurora a lot more. Most crime is a crime of opportunity, and so often, it involves people who don't lock their homes, garages or cars.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:18 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,032,027 times
If you're scared you will be a victim of crime. If you're confident our odds are less.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:05 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Default Analysis Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusMutation View Post
[work location] is 14th street downtown.
Max House Budget - Depends on the place. Think low... like $300k low. Our budget is higher than what I shared. [Rental] Budget is between $1000 - $2000 depending on space & location.
Kids - none.
Coors Field...apparently this is a "don't walk at night alone" and "expect robbery, both physical and vehicular"
many of the high rise condo's have reviews of poor staff attitudes
[I-]70 had 4 accidents
How close is the Montclair neighborhood to the "not so nice" area of Aurora?
1. I want to thank you for doing lots of research here as opposed to "Hi, moving to Denver, where is the best place to live?".

2. I-25 and I-70 have accidents every day and every day the traffic is a mess. Well, not at 0200 on Sunday. It comes with being a large city with an increasing population.

3. Montclair is not even close to Aurora.
All neighborhoods have spots of not so nice. But, "nice" is a very relative term.
a. For example, take Montclair. The northern edge is Colfax Ave. Would I want to live on Colfax? No. Is it safe? Yes. I would also not live on 14th and 13th Avenues as they are 1-way streets full of commuters heading to/from downtown.
b. For example, take Sloan's Lake which you have also looked at. The western edge edge is Sheridan Blvd and the eastern is Federal Blvd. Both are really busy streets and I would not live within 1 block of either.
Because of Denver's layout on a grid, most neighborhoods have busy streets as their boundaries. Just not for me. I don't want to look at or hear a stream of traffic. That said, I did live at 890 South Josephine for 24 years and it was only 1 block off University. And, it was quiet.

4. Bars in Denver are allowed to stay open until 0200. Be in bed after 2159 and you avoid all kinds of problems.

5. Apartment reviews always skew negative.

6. You need to decide: walk to work or ride to work or drive to work. If your commuting times hours to/from the Hyatt Regency span 2100-0600, then I think ride (RTD) to work is not advisable/practical.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:08 PM

137 posts, read 197,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Of all the major cities I have lived in, Denver is, far and away, the absolute safest place overall. In fact, the bad parts of town in Denver/Aurora are so far removed from the dangers in other cities I have lived (Houston, and New Orleans, in particular), that it's almost comical.....and you know what? That's a good thing. More cities should aspire to be like Denver. I think you bring up a good point about maybe a lot of the concern comes from people who are not used to urban living.

As far as your question about Montclair in relation to bad parts of Aurora, they are not far away from each other, but I think direct proximity is buffered by Lowry and other areas. I would say Lowry and Stapleton are the two neighborhoods that feel that rub from Aurora a lot more. Most crime is a crime of opportunity, and so often, it involves people who don't lock their homes, garages or cars.
Yes, the standard of "danger" here is cute. There are neighborhoods in Baltimore I wouldn't be on foot in during the day. I can't say the same anywhere the Denver metro.

I'm certainly not complaining, but it is entertaining.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:27 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,567,247 times
What's your housing budget and what are you looking for in a home? Sounds like work is downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver