Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 07:50 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,938,780 times

Advertisements

Out the window behind the celebrity judges was the Denver skyline ... and people riding carnival rides?! What was that?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 07:57 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Out the window behind the celebrity judges was the Denver skyline ... and people riding carnival rides?! What was that?!
Elitch Gardens is downtown:

Old 01-06-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Elitch Gardens is downtown:
Thanks never knew about that. How come it's never shown on national images of Denver more often?

Old 01-06-2016, 09:31 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,490,601 times
Quote:
Thanks never knew about that. How come it's never shown on national images of Denver more often?
It's just an amusement park like every city has, only Denver's is very close to the downtown area.

https://www.elitchgardens.com/

Old 01-06-2016, 09:32 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
It's just an amusement park like every city has, only Denver's is very close to the downtown area.

https://www.elitchgardens.com/
And that fact makes it impressive...so you would think they would want to show it off.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:42 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
And that fact makes it impressive...so you would think they would want to show it off.
I agree we really should show it off. It had a lot more press when it was Six Flags.

I don't think Denver ppl appreciate it honestly.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:06 PM

Well then, the next obvious question is: Where were the AI auditions held to provide that view? Or was it just a green-screen background (didn't look like it).

The Atlanta auditions (which shared the Denver episode) were at the W Hotel in Midtown, but the image behind the celebs was a photo of the Midtown skyline taken from Piedmont Park. The holding area for the contestants was on the top floor, and they rode an elevator down to the ballroom for their auditions. Point being, the ATL skyline behind the celebs was not real. But Denver's, you could actually see people RIDING RIDES. Kinda cool.

Last edited by Newsboy; 01-06-2016 at 11:16 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 11:42 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,677,841 times
In order to see the skyline of Denver behind Elitch's, the photo has to be taken looking from west to east. Most of the photos that advertise Denver look from east to west, which showcases the beautiful Rocky Mountains behind the downtown skyline. Much more impressive than some amusement park that could be in any city anywhere.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:31 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,127,613 times
Quote:
Well then, the next obvious question is: Where were the AI auditions held to provide that view? Or was it just a green-screen background (didn't look like it).

The Atlanta auditions (which shared the Denver episode) were at the W Hotel in Midtown, but the image behind the celebs was a photo of the Midtown skyline taken from Piedmont Park. The holding area for the contestants was on the top floor, and they rode an elevator down to the ballroom for their auditions. Point being, the ATL skyline behind the celebs was not real. But Denver's, you could actually see people RIDING RIDES. Kinda cool.
This is an assumption because I don't watch the show.

Auditions were probably held at Sports Authority Field. The east side of the stadium overlooks downtown Denver and with Elitch Gardens between the two. The amusement park and the stadium are on either side of I-25 and within close walking distance of each other.

ETA: The AI site lists the Denver Coliseum as the audition site, but that is definitely not the Coliseum. I am going stand by my original assertion for the audition in front of the judges. The holding area / first auditions were probably held at the Coliseum with finalists bused to Sports Authority Field. It makes sense largely because the stadium would have all the necessary production facilities to host the auditions.

In case you are wondering:

- The view is looking from west to east, ie. the mountains cannot be seen because they are behind the contestant, not the judges.
- The prominent white domed building is the Pepsi Center, it is adjacent to Elitch Gardens.
- The yellow tents seen only when the camera is on Harry Connick Jr. are the Cirque du Soliel tents that are set up in the Pepsi Center Parking lots when they are in town.

Last edited by davidv; 01-07-2016 at 01:09 AM..

Old 01-07-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
This is an assumption because I don't watch the show.

Auditions were probably held at Sports Authority Field. The east side of the stadium overlooks downtown Denver and with Elitch Gardens between the two. The amusement park and the stadium are on either side of I-25 and within close walking distance of each other.

ETA: The AI site lists the Denver Coliseum as the audition site, but that is definitely not the Coliseum. I am going stand by my original assertion for the audition in front of the judges. The holding area / first auditions were probably held at the Coliseum with finalists bused to Sports Authority Field. It makes sense largely because the stadium would have all the necessary production facilities to host the auditions.

In case you are wondering:

- The view is looking from west to east, ie. the mountains cannot be seen because they are behind the contestant, not the judges.
- The prominent white domed building is the Pepsi Center, it is adjacent to Elitch Gardens.
- The yellow tents seen only when the camera is on Harry Connick Jr. are the Cirque du Soliel tents that are set up in the Pepsi Center Parking lots when they are in town.
THANK YOU! This answers all my meaningless geeky questions. And knowing that the park is WEST of downtown explains why it's never seen in photos of the Denver skyline. I agree that the Rocky Mountains as a background is far more impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: