Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 08:53 PM

18 posts, read 12,530 times

Advertisements

Hello people.

Canadian here. I'm being transferred to the US from Canada voluntarily. Essentially its more of a choice as to where to live in the US with a few restrictions as there are offices for our company in several major cities spread out in the US.

Anyway, my wife and I are 30 years old. We both love to snowboard. Generally homebodies but like going out once or twice a month. I don't know the "areas" of Colorado at all. And obviously the cultural differences between Canada and the US are what they are. The last thing on our list of considerations are generally racism and crime in terms of things to consider when looking at where to live.

Considering we have options in terms of where in the US, we enjoy mountain scenery, snowy-ish weather and living in a house that isn't within 10 feet of the neighbors.

So I guess my question is this:

With a purchase price range of say 300-500K for a house, safe neighborhood, spaced out neighbors. Where should we be looking if Colorado was our destination? If it matters, I'm a Canadian born white guy and shes a Canadian born Korean girl.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: when I said racism and crime is lower on our list of considerations its cuz in most parts of Canada it's not really an issue. Obviously it's up there in terms of considerations, the point being we just dont know the area or general feeling of mixed cultures.. etc..

Last edited by Carverstone; 01-10-2016 at 09:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 09:07 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,976,804 times
I don't know about having spaced-out neighbors...been there, done that, but there are a lot of options for Colorado that are near snowboarding. I'll just throw out one good option in a town I really like: Glenwood Springs.
Others can chime in now.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:09 PM

17,692 posts, read 29,691,842 times
What Colorado city would be your job location?

Old 01-10-2016, 09:21 PM

Well the closest office I'd report to is actually in Utah but we dont really want to live there, since it's an hourish flight and I work 95% remotely (most of the clients I handle are in Europe) I'd pretty much have free reign to be wherever.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:50 PM

17,692 posts, read 29,691,842 times
Evergreen, Colorado.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:37 PM

403 posts, read 757,497 times
Evergreen is a very good suggestion, but the lower end of your budget at $300,000 would be quite tough in central Evergreen. The mid to higher end is doable. Conifer could be another place to consider as well...more house and usually larger lot for your money. Conifer is accessed along the Hwy. 285 corridor, but connects into Evergreen via Hwy. 73.

Both communities sit west of the Denver metro area and are about 60-75 minutes to Denver International Airport for your work travel. Of course, that time can be affected by snow, traffic, or accidents on the way to/from the airport, but my husband travels very often to DIA every other week almost all year long and he only encounters 3-4 days per year where snow really comes into play. I like to describe living in Evergreen as "mountain suburban". There are plenty of traditional subdivisions, but also some properties in more remote locations tucked back down some quiet roads. Lot sizes are common at a half acre and larger. All major supermarkets, hair/nail salons, auto repair, medical doctors, dentists, small restaurants, etc. are here for your everyday amenities. You will have to go "down the hill" for Costco, shopping malls, movie theaters, and major hospitals.

If you want snowboarding it's about a 90 min drive (can be 2 hrs+ with crazy I-70 traffic and weather) to major ski mountains like A-Basin, Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper. Loveland is closer and Echo Mountain up Squaw Pass in Idaho Springs (just outside Evergreen) is open to the public again and even has night skiing and snowboarding.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:33 AM

618 posts, read 1,362,665 times
Evergreen seems the way to go. If you want to live closer to the city (and airport), maybe consider the foothill areas of Morrison or Golden.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:07 AM

Hey guys,

thanks for the posts so far! Been checking out the real estate in the those areas. Some decent lots for decent prices out there. Some of them seem a bit too secluded, but its hard to judge just from a map.

We were also thinking of simply renting something for the first 6months and give ourselves some time to look around in person at the areas mentioned and some houses as well as get used to living in the area. If we were to rent, we'd probably want to rent closer to downtown in a main city. Are there nice places of Denver to rent in? Houses or apartments? In Toronto here there are some really upscale condos as well has pretty rough parts etc. Where would be some nicer condos, nicer houses? What districts or neighbourhoods would be best to look in for that kind of thing?

Old 01-11-2016, 10:10 AM

5,531 posts, read 12,622,401 times
What would your rental budget be?

Old 01-11-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
What would your rental budget be?
1500 - 1800/month is the most we'd probably want to spend. we could afford more if need be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver