Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 08:54 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
You couldn't pay me to live in Texas again. The natives think it's god's gift to the planet. But mostly it's like living in a sauna, with lots of biting bugs, surrounded by people with annoying accents who assume you're a Baptist racist who only eats meat and drives a truck. But I generalize...
You have a tendency to do that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 09:10 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,990,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
You couldn't pay me to live in Texas again. The natives think it's god's gift to the planet. But mostly it's like living in a sauna, with lots of biting bugs, surrounded by people with annoying accents who assume you're a Baptist racist who only eats meat and drives a truck. But I generalize...
I have to 100% agree with this assessment of TexASS.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:15 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Nobody expects you to love Southern California. Everybody knows it sucks, but many would never think of leaving.

Nobody expects you to love Washington. In the west, it rains all the time, and nobody talks to you anyway. In the east, it kind of just is what it is.

If you don't LOVE Colorado: BLASPHEMY! Get out to make more room for the natives who deserve to live here by birthright. C Flag! 303! Broncos!

Dallas is now officially crossed off the lower rung of my SHTF list. Thanks!
Cross Chicago off your list, too. I lived there for 2 years and learned that even the slightest negative observation was met with shock and disbelief. And, don't even get me started on the defensiveness that prevails on the Chicago city data forum

Old 01-21-2016, 10:02 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,108 times
Quote:
Nobody expects you to love Southern California. Everybody knows it sucks, but many would never think of leaving.

Nobody expects you to love Washington. In the west, it rains all the time, and nobody talks to you anyway. In the east, it kind of just is what it is.

If you don't LOVE Colorado: BLASPHEMY! Get out to make more room for the natives who deserve to live here by birthright. C Flag! 303! Broncos!
You nailed it. I would rep you but I have to throw reps around to others.

I like how this thread has taken on a different tone than what the OP the intended it to be.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:11 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Cross Chicago off your list, too. I lived there for 2 years and learned that even the slightest negative observation was met with shock and disbelief. And, don't even get me started on the defensiveness that prevails on the Chicago city data forum
Dang, Chicago was a rung or two higher than Dallas. Maybe the better crappy parts of Lake Counties IL and IN don't have this problem, or no?

Old 01-21-2016, 10:16 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
You nailed it. I would rep you but I have to throw reps around to others.

I like how this thread has taken on a different tone than what the OP the intended it to be.
Do you think he wanted us to join in on his pity party? Or do you think he wanted us to rebut him with counter arguments about how great Denver is, or even convince him not to leave?

Because I think many people ITT have shared their gripes with the area pretty well (which aren't necessarily the same as OP's). Gay interracial dating will unfortunately never be something on my list of must-haves should I ever relocate again. Mainly, I would just like more trees, mountains on the east, and less insularity. Oh, and better junk food.

Is that too much to ask????

Old 01-21-2016, 10:28 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,685 times
Quote:
Dang, Chicago was a rung or two higher than Dallas. Maybe the better crappy parts of Lake Counties IL and IN don't have this problem, or no?
I lived in the city, so I'm not of much help. But, my impression is that the suburbs and more rural areas are less uptight, so that's probably a fair assumption.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:43 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
I'm not a native and I don't think Denver is perfect by any means. But I just get annoyed by the "Denver doesn't DESERVE to be so expensive" attitude. It is what it is because that is what the market will bear and currently, demand exceeds supply so prices go up.

I've never heard anyone say that LA or SF or NYC or Boston didn't "deserve" to be as pricey as they are. Not that Denver is in that bracket but just the attitude that some places are worthy of housing costing what the market says it costs, and some places aren't. That's just silly.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:08 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm not a native and I don't think Denver is perfect by any means. But I just get annoyed by the "Denver doesn't DESERVE to be so expensive" attitude. It is what it is because that is what the market will bear and currently, demand exceeds supply so prices go up.

I've never heard anyone say that LA or SF or NYC or Boston didn't "deserve" to be as pricey as they are. Not that Denver is in that bracket but just the attitude that some places are worthy of housing costing what the market says it costs, and some places aren't. That's just silly.
You said it! I lived in the Denver area when it was down and out. Housing was super cheap and plentiful then. Jobs were not. Pricing is largely a function of demand vs. supply, and good jobs mean more demand for all kinds of things and services.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:23 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,224 times
Quote:
It's kind of more complex, for me.

I love Southern California, but on the other hand, there are a lot of things to gripe about, and when people do, I nod and laugh, because usually it's true! But I still love Southern California.

I also don't care if someone hates it—so what? There are plenty of people who flock to the area as tourists, and there are so many gorgeous places in California as a whole, so if someone from the midwest or back east has written California off of their bucket list, why should I care?

I guess what I'm saying is that my love for California, with its warts and its high points, is pretty much what it is, and no one else griping about it is going to make a dent. Gripe away. I don't take it personally. I don't even take the little digs about Californians personally. Meh.

Quote:
LOL! I don't know how I'd feel if I got that reaction there! I DO love Colorado, and I would hope to always love it. How odd that they're so defensive. Why? From my perspective, Colorado has a lot going for it, and all the tourists coming each year—what does Colorado have to prove? It seems many people appreciate it already.

I have found this same type of defensiveness in some parts of the midwest. In one midwestern city I lived in for some time, I would get people butthurt when I wanted to go back to California on vacation. "Oh, don't go back there! Why would you go there?" I was supposed to kiss the ground in that town and be so grateful that California was in the rear view mirror.

How very odd. I cannot fathom such a thing. Why do they take it so personally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver