Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2016, 05:13 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,027,847 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a new job and am considering taking public transit from Stapleton to DTC. On both bus and light rail. Bus and light rail before April and Lightrail after the A line opens. What are your experiences using public transportation in the Denver Metro Area? I am interested to hear. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 06:15 AM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I've no experience taking it, but I have asked people thru the years their opinion of it. I've always been interested in public transit options in this country. Since we have so few of them, and I knew Denver was really moving ahead with it. So I ask questions. These are people I've met that either live in or have visited Denver. Most were glad Denver has made, a huge investment in Public transit in recent years. There seemed very satisfied with all the new routes being built. Unfortunately I found most of them, spoke how expensive taking transit can be in the Denver area. Something about all the various zone fares and parking fees. I guess even the monthly passes are expensive according to their reviews.

If it were me I would spend some time taking it, and see how it works for me. That's what I have always done, when having to learn transit in a new city. I prefer transit at least if its efficient over driving any day. I hope it works for you.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:18 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
I commuted from SE Aurora (Hampden and Tower) to Denver (Colfax and Grant) via RTD bus service for a year or so. I found it very reliable and cost effective since my employer offered subsidies for public transportation.

It did double my commute time compared to driving but it reduced my stress level exponentially, particularly on bad weather days, and gave me an opportunity to catch up on reading.

I don't commute anymore, but I still take the bus to visit the museums, etc., most recently yesterday to take advantage of "free Friday" at the Clyfford Still museum.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:07 PM

473 posts, read 848,751 times
I think RTD is above average. It's not NYC or Chicago but for being a big new city out west it's above average. Of course is depends where you live, and IMO frequency of bus service and the route makes a big difference. I take the 24 which is usually prompt and full of students and professionals. The 12 has a very high frequency. The 40 (Colorado Blvd) is crowded and extremely slow due to the number of stops an traffic. If you're working regular business hours shouldn't have issues. Nights and weekends service is lighter. Sometimes weather changes a lot during the day, so I keep an extra jacket at work. A nice 50 degree fall morning might be a snowstorm by the time you leave. Or vice versa and I end up leaving heavy coats at the office.

Just curious if you looked this up: Is take the "A" line from Stapleton to Union Station, then the "E" to DTC actually faster? Seems a bit circuitous than a bus straight south (transferring at Southmoor to train to DTC would take about same time.) But in winter I might opt for a train, which isn't subject to road traffic, and an indoor transfer - so nice to have both options.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:59 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,027,847 times
I took RTD Bus tonight downtown. The service was awesome. Bus was within 3 minutes of schedule time. Very quick and efficient.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:26 PM

244 posts, read 414,444 times
I take RTD to and from school everyday as does my husband to and from work. We are located in City Park and travel to downtown on either the 15L or the 20. It tends to be consistent and I have had no issues, but we are lucky enough not to have to transfer.

I encourage it. Much cheaper than parking (generally) and it's nice to be able to read the news or a book during the ride.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:39 PM

112 posts, read 140,903 times
Back in highschool when I was a new 16 with my first job, but before I had saved enough to buy a car, I had to get from school on Federal & Evans to downtown for work. (About 3 months total)

I took a combo of bus & lightrail or just bus. However I was leaving around 2:30 pm and returning after midnight, so not during very busy times. (And I worked with my boyfriend thankfully, so wasn't quite wandering downtown alone at 1:00 am)

It was great for the most part! %95 of the time the bus/train showed up, nothing weird happened, I was on time, and the waits in between were fine.

I don't remember the light rail ever being late. We took it from Evans Station to Union Station. We had quite a few long walks just because at midnight the frequency was less or certain lines stopped running, but that shouldn't be an issue during the day.

There were a couple times the bus was late, and one time it broke down completely and no replacement came down at the next stop meaning we walked the entire length of Federal Blvd. from Colfax to near Evans but that was once. We even stopped at a food truck & a homeless man ate our pupusas with a knife, but we were kind of afraid of him and it was dark so we gave him our food after he started paying with the knife. He called it, "foo fasa," and not relevant but I always lol at the memory.

I also took it to middle school & highschool for 7th-10th grade. It was mostly adults or others going to school. Only a few weird incidents with homeless people or fights. This was the 30, 3, 21, 9, probably not lines you'll be on.

I was super happy to get a car though, as it took much less time to drive overall then to wait for the bus/rail/walking, but the light rail is pretty quick & efficient in my experience. It's awesome to pass a highway of stopped traffic!

You probably won't have many weird crimes on the bus going from Stapleton to the DTC unless the bus passes through an area that does. The bus drivers are usually pretty good about enforcing rules and kicking off trouble makers.

The exercise was great! That's a big perk, unless the stop is right out your door. I also felt less stressed then when commuting, and obviously no gas or parking costs.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:06 AM

577 posts, read 1,474,534 times
IMHO, RTD has recently become too greedy and they raised the prices as of Jan 2016 unsustainably. $2.60 vs. $2.25 for one-way single trip and $99 for local region monthly pass? I was a pedestrian for 3years+ here but I couldn't take this anymore. So we've bought a car. More cost effective. RTD's bus routes (especially the local ones) are not optimal (30-minute schedule and some areas not covered). I couldn't even go to the Church on Sunday morning with them - their schedule never appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver