Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 12:36 PM

436 posts, read 446,234 times

Advertisements

In my world, I can't be so racist. My board would kick me off if I asked for a white realtor. A realtor is not able to suggest or take anyone to a neighborhood for the reason of racial preferences. Amazing what a double standard there is in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 05:41 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
Buyers and Sellers can discriminate for/against agents all day long.

A Seller cannot ask about a buyer's: Race, Color, Religion, Creed, National Origin/Ancestry, Sex, Disability/Handicap, Sexual Orientation (including Transgender Status), Marital Status, and Familial Status (children under the age of 18 in the household.) Buyer's often volunteer some information.

A Seller can choose the best offer for them based upon subjective content.

A Buyer can choose where to look for a property based upon subjective content.

A licensed real estate broker in Colorado cannot. There are fair housing testers. There are heavy fines.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dor...discrimination

The only color that matters in a real estate transaction is green. If the buyer has or qualifies for the money, period.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:58 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,298,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
The only color that matters in a real estate transaction is green.
I've been looking for a realtor from Mars...

Old 02-06-2016, 08:05 PM

good luck with that.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:01 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
.... but we might be able to find you a few space cadets .... just saying....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:31 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,421,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandthinkingsomemo View Post
Hi everyone - Can anyone recommend a black realtor, mid/late 30's? Wife, 1 child and I are moving in April and haven't been able to meet many black people in past visits. We thought a black realtor would help us with context.
Thanks!
WOW! I wonder how fast a user would have had the post be deleted and labeled a racist if a White person asked this?

Old 02-07-2016, 01:36 PM

137 posts, read 196,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
WOW! I wonder how fast a user would have had the post be deleted and labeled a racist if a White person asked this?
Why would somebody have to ask to find a white realtor? They would be a complete moron given the demographics of this area. You couldn't swing a HUD form without hitting a white realtor here.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:35 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
I'm from Mars and have a Mars Buddy in Denver. How about I get you a referral?

Old 02-07-2016, 07:46 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppunk View Post
Why would somebody have to ask to find a white realtor? They would be a complete moron given the demographics of this area. You couldn't swing a HUD form without hitting a white realtor here.
While I think the OP has a perfectly reasonable reason for requesting a black realtor, there is some truth to the claim of a double standard.

Imagine if someone said, "I have a black realtor and I want to make sure I get a white realtor next time" or something along those lines. Or it was strongly suspected that someone purposely switched realtors from black to white.

Or imagine any other line of work, someone specifying up front that they only wanted a white nurse, a white insurance agent, a white tutor.... the list goes on. That would not go over well.

But like I said, I think the OP explained their reasons and I personally think they're reasonable. But again, if a white person did something similar—no go!

Old 02-07-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppunk View Post
You couldn't swing a HUD form without hitting a white realtor here.
The HUD-1 form has been retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: