Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 05:02 PM

242 posts, read 432,894 times

Advertisements

I'm a Green Bay man but it was pretty cool to see Peyton earn another ring prior to retiring. Strong defense won the big game! Congrats, Broncos fans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 05:33 PM

930 posts, read 700,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
No, not at all. Just one who hasn't succumbed to the masterful marketing by the NFL, but is tired of all the hype:

Did you know the NFL is a non-profit organization, whose CEO makes about $40M/year?

What other company convinces the taxpayers to build them their place of business, then charges exorbitant rates for seats, food, drink, etc?

Do you know why most TV and radio stations call it "the big game" and not the superbowl?
Because the NFL copyrighted the term "superbowl," and refuses to let anyone use it, other than the media outlets that pay them.

When the US gov't outlawed online gambling, they gave 2 fantasy sports companies an exemption. One of them is owned by the NFL.

How'd you like Peyton's classy plug for Budweiser in the post-game interview? Wonder how much he got paid for that...
I think a lot of people are aware that the NFL has a tarnished reputation. I haven't bought a ticket to an NFL game ever, nor have I ever purchaseed NFL merchandise. If you don't like the organization, then don't support it. However, for some folks, it's fun to sit around the TV and watch a competitive event. I don't have to support the NFL, but I can support the players who play for our entertainment and are just trying to make a living and support their families. Do you realize how many of these players would have ended up as criminals or on welfare if not for the opportunity to sell their physical skill set for a sizeable paycheck?

Old 02-08-2016, 05:55 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
I don't watch much football (husband does) but was relieved the Broncos won, living here in Colorado, where
Bronco fever was/is high.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
I know you're not speaking from experience, as there aren't lawns in trailer parks.

No, not at all. Just one who hasn't succumbed to the masterful marketing by the NFL, but is tired of all the hype:

Did you know the NFL is a non-profit organization, whose CEO makes about $40M/year?

What other company convinces the taxpayers to build them their place of business, then charges exorbitant rates for seats, food, drink, etc?

Do you know why most TV and radio stations call it "the big game" and not the superbowl?
Because the NFL copyrighted the term "superbowl," and refuses to let anyone use it, other than the media outlets that pay them.

When the US gov't outlawed online gambling, they gave 2 fantasy sports companies an exemption. One of them is owned by the NFL.

How'd you like Peyton's classy plug for Budweiser in the post-game interview? Wonder how much he got paid for that...
The NFL has dropped its non-profit status: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ping-them-out/

Are you against all pro sports, or just football? The all do stuff like this.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:36 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
I know you're not speaking from experience, as there aren't lawns in trailer parks.

I don't know what stations you are watching or listening to but all the ones I do use "Super Bowl" all the time and I am willing to bet they don't pay for the privilege to do so. Just to say "Super Bowl" is free publicity for the NFL and is synonymous with the abbreviation "NFL".

Did you know this isn't the first time Manning has said "Budweiser"? It is known to be his favorite beer. Are you upset he said he was going to Disneyland?

I am a life long Chargers fan. I was excited to see the Broncos win this game especially for Manning. I hope he retires now and goes into broadcasting or coaching.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:14 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The NFL has dropped its non-profit status: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ping-them-out/

Are you against all pro sports, or just football? The all do stuff like this.
Interesting. Thanks for the update. BTW, I've watched you skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I don't know what stations you are watching or listening to but all the ones I do use "Super Bowl" all the time and I am willing to bet they don't pay for the privilege to do so. Just to say "Super Bowl" is free publicity for the NFL and is synonymous with the abbreviation "NFL".
Sorry, but you're wrong on this. Have you watched Fox 31 in the last few weeks? They've been airing a parody of this, where they say the word "superbowl" and bleep it out, followed by someone saying, "you know we can't say that word." Then someone drops a ~500 page document on a desk with the title COPYRIGHT on the front page.

Google "superbowl copyright." Plenty of articles about it. here's the first link from the search: Why can't you call it the Super Bowl? - SBNation.com

Old 02-08-2016, 08:59 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Quote:
Interesting. Thanks for the update. BTW, I've watched you skate

Sorry, but you're wrong on this. Have you watched Fox 31 in the last few weeks? They've been airing a parody of this, where they say the word "superbowl" and bleep it out, followed by someone saying, "you know we can't say that word." Then someone drops a ~500 page document on a desk with the title COPYRIGHT on the front page.

Google "superbowl copyright." Plenty of articles about it. here's the first link from the search: Why can't you call it the Super Bowl? - SBNation.com
hmm. I wonder if 9News is going to get sued then. They have Super Bowl all over the place on their website.

Super Bowl

Old 02-08-2016, 09:11 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Go Broncos.

Good to see Peyton and Wade Phillips not only step on Superman's cape but grind it into the ground.

Now I have to go wash my hands as a life long Raider Fan.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:16 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Defense was historic. They gave up 4 touchdowns in 3 playoff games. Unreal.

Patriots were the #2 scoring offense in the NFL. D held them to 18 points, and HUMILIATED Tom Brady in the process.

Carolina was the #1 scoring offense in the NFL. D held them to 10 points, and made the league's MVP look lost and confused.

And the weekend before we had a little fun beating up the Steelers!

Old 02-08-2016, 11:13 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
And the weekend before we had a little fun beating up the Steelers!
You would have to mention my poor, broken down Steelers! We will be back healthy and in full throttle next year so enjoy your victory now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: