Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 12:10 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times

Advertisements

When is Google Fiber coming to Denver? It's not on their list for expansion anytime soon, but will it be coming in the future? I think Denver could use more variety of high speed internet, not just Comcast and Century Link.

https://fiber.google.com/newcities/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 12:12 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Do they have it in Prescott Valley?

Old 02-25-2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Do they have it in Prescott Valley?
No, just Tempe and Scottsdale.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:04 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Comcast spent big bucks not many years ago building out their extensive network there so that's unlikely Google looks for underdeveloped/underserved and with that being Qwest/Centurylink legacy HQ and Comcast 2nd largest after Philly not likely that is why they built out Kansas City

Old 02-25-2016, 06:31 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
When is Google Fiber coming to Denver? It's not on their list for expansion anytime soon, but will it be coming in the future? I think Denver could use more variety of high speed internet, not just Comcast and Century Link.

https://fiber.google.com/newcities/
Google Fiber is a joke. Google does not want to be an internet service provider business. They just want to use it, to spur fiber development by other companies, so they have a platform for their web content. By that map, after six years Google Fiber is in exactly four cities, serving some 30,000 customers. Which is nothing. Even if Denver was added to the list of Google's Upcoming or Potential Fiber cities, it would never get built at Google’s current build rate.

If you really want to see more fiber in Denver, it should be done by expanding the existing fiber network, not by building another from the ground up.

Global Network | Zayo Group

Old 02-25-2016, 07:50 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,278 times
I'm for anything that will lower the cost to consumers for high speed data. If google fiber does it I'm for it. I also saw a video that Google Fiber is used to bring high speed internet to underserved communities in cities. I don't think Google will bring Google Fibre to Denver. If Google Fiber gives consumers another choice I'm for it. So far other google services have helped consumers to lower their cost.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:20 AM

With Google building a 330k sq ft campus in Boulder, you would think they could expand in Denver. Who knows at this point, we want more competition between different ISPs.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:31 AM

897 posts, read 1,253,159 times
Quote:
With Google building a 330k sq ft campus in Boulder, you would think they could expand in Denver. Who knows at this point, we want more competition between different ISPs.
I do think they know best where to go next. Why not write them a letter ? I
Am sure they don't read city data.

I do agree 100% that it sucks only having Comcast and century link - they are each terrible in places and aren't exactly known for good prices or customer service. I agree more competition is a good thing in the ISP world

Old 02-25-2016, 04:45 PM

369 posts, read 966,493 times
Quote:
FWIW, Amazon looked at opening an R&D shop in downtown Denver a few years back, did a 'call for talent' and interviewed a whole bunch of people, but decided not move ahead because they thought talent level wasn't there. Could have just been a way to get people to interview and then convince them to re-lo to Seattle.

Anyway, with Boulder office space so expensive and really in a non-central location, it seems like companies would be looking at downtown Denver more - but both Twitter and Google have doubled down on Boulder with big Boulder office expansions in the last couple years.

Downtown Denver needs a few big marquee anchor tech companies to really establish it as a center.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:18 AM

556 posts, read 1,200,176 times
I got a mailer recently for wifi hood- Internet Service Provider | Denver | WiFiHood
As soon as my current contract is up I am going to give these guys a try. I'm excited to have an internet option besides comcast and century link with their terrible customer service and expensive bundles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver