Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 11:01 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times

Advertisements

I thought this was very interesting regarding CDOT's use of P3s to get funding for road construction.

i would love to see tax payers funding everything up front, but given the current tax climate and TABOR restrictions, I believe that this is really the only way that large new infrastructure build out projects are going to happen.

Transparency is key and I'm glad that they are acknowledging the mistakes on the US-36 project. I have spoken off the record with some of the leaders involved here and I firmly believe that they are taking the right steps to improving the process for the I-70 project.

Colorado leaders attend public-private partnership conference ahead of I-70 P3 redevelopment - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 11:09 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Ironic that Texas has become ground zero for the P3 movement. They've been pimping out their highway infrastructure to multi-national conglomerates like Cintra for damn near 15 years now.

In fact, Cintra just took it in the shorts on the southern portion of SH130. They defaulted and filed for bankruptcy on that investment a few weeks ago.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Ironic that Texas has become ground zero for the P3 movement. They've been pimping out their highway infrastructure to multi-national conglomerates like Cintra for damn near 15 years now.

In fact, Cintra just took it in the shorts on the southern portion of SH130. They defaulted and filed for bankruptcy on that investment a few weeks ago.

Interesting on Cintra. I suppose that is a big benefit of the P3s. If the finances for the project were miscalculated, their shareholders take it in the shorts, not the taxpayers.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:20 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Interesting on Cintra. I suppose that is a benefit of the P3s. If the finances for the project were miscalculated, their shareholders take it in the shorts, not the taxpayers.
The downside is that lenders will require the concessionaire to take on less risk in the future - meaning that taxpayers will have to subsidize even more of the construction costs than they already do.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:42 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Anybody suspect that an initiative will be on a future ballot for a bond project? There are some people here who want to avoid another project with tolls attached.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:14 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
These P3 things are a terrible idea and un-American. This is supposed to be a democracy, where ALL of us pool our money to build our nation for the common good of ALL of us, not just those who can afford to drive in the Lexus lanes.

This is more proof that TABOR is the worst thing for this state, we can't get the funds to do what we have to do so we resort to games and gimmicks and "fees" to get around it.

We built the Interstate Highway System with straight taxpayer money, one for all and all for one, no P3 gimmicks, just move dirt, pour concrete and get out of the way.

TABOR contributes to more balkanization of politics, more divide and conquer games to pit points of view against each other and we all end us losing.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:19 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
These P3 things are a terrible idea and un-American. This is supposed to be a democracy, where ALL of us pool our money to build our nation for the common good of ALL of us, not just those who can afford to drive in the Lexus lanes.

This is more proof that TABOR is the worst thing for this state, we can't get the funds to do what we have to do so we resort to games and gimmicks and "fees" to get around it.

We built the Interstate Highway System with straight taxpayer money, one for all and all for one, no P3 gimmicks, just move dirt, pour concrete and get out of the way.

TABOR contributes to more balkanization of politics, more divide and conquer games to pit points of view against each other and we all end us losing.
I agree that P3s are terrible and not good for people who pay taxes. I despise tolls as much as most people in Colorado do. However, getting rid of TABOR is a big mistake, but should be modified so infrastructure such as roads and bridges can be exempted from TABOR.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Short of a repeal of TABOR, I really don't see an alternative to P3s if we want to rebuild the infrastructure.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:31 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
When Tabor was passed in '92 it only did so by a narrow margin, 53/46. In '05 some measures were passed limiting some of the aspects of Tabor. Since '92 we have added over 2 million people to the state. Maybe it is time to mount a dedicated effort to repeal it.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:56 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,101,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I agree that P3s are terrible and not good for people who pay taxes. I despise tolls as much as most people in Colorado do. However, getting rid of TABOR is a big mistake, but should be modified so infrastructure such as roads and bridges can be exempted from TABOR.
At the very least TABOR needs to be revisited. It was very different when tolls were just 50 or 75 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver