Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2016, 08:20 AM

18 posts, read 22,059 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone,

Currently I live in Englewood (for 15 years, have been in Denver since 1961) and am thinking of moving to the Crown Hill area of Lakewood. I have found a house that would be perfect except for one thing: it does not have a basement. I have always had one and am thinking this may be a deal killer, but would like others opinions on the pros and cons, especially from someone who has experience with both. Also, with the light rail now now on 13th and Wadsworth, can anyone comment on how the area to the north west has changed? I have not been seeing a mass exodus from Crown Hill, but I haven't been looking all that long. I love the quiet and semi-rural feel, especially of the block I am looking at (Brentwood). Right now I live SE of Oxford and Santa Fe and the traffic noise from Santa Fe has become unbearable. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 10:36 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Have your broker do an absorption rate analysis for the area. It will show you how many properties have come to market and have sold over the last 12 months.

Having a basement is a personal choice. Your broker can show you the price difference between the two.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:59 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Sunflower, I'm just curious as to why you think that lack of a basement would be a deal killer.

I have lived in houses with basements, without basements, and with crawl spaces. The one thing that I can think of as a pro for a basement is that it is cooler in the summer. But generally, with me personally, a basement usually just ends up being a place to put extra junk (kind of like an attic). I don't like spending much time down in a basement because the windows are so small.

If the house is otherwise "perfect" for you, then go for it.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:11 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Not having a basement is a deal breaker if having one is essential to you. Otherwise, I think it adds a bit of value to have a basement vs. a comparable house without one, but that difference should be reflected in your purchase price so even though you might get a little less when selling down the road, you're also paying a little less now so it all balances out.

I don't have any personal familiarity with the specific area, so I can't comment on that aspect of your post.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:24 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
If it is https://www.redfin.com/CO/Lakewood/2.../home/34434847
then I would be more concerned about age/condition than anything.
A thorough inspection of a 1948 house is warranted.

It is 1.2 miles from the train station. Not likely to be affected.
The huge JeffCo park is much closer. A big plus.

It is a very quiet street. A huge positive. (Carr carries 95% of the thru traffic.)
The neighbors north of 32nd Avenue are the quietest you will ever have.

2511 Brentwood went from listed to sold in 6 weeks last Summer.
2100 Brentwood went from listed to sold within 7 weeks this Winter.
7940 W 24th Place went from listed to sold in 9 weeks last Fall.
2570 Carr Court went from listed to sold in 8 weeks this Winter.

Assuming that it meets your needs.
Assuming that it "passes" inspection.
I would buy it.

P.S.
No basement means no "water in the basement" issues.

Last edited by davebarnes; 03-13-2016 at 12:39 PM..

Old 03-14-2016, 09:41 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
If it is https://www.redfin.com/CO/Lakewood/2.../home/34434847
then I would be more concerned about age/condition than anything.
A thorough inspection of a 1948 house is warranted.

It is 1.2 miles from the train station. Not likely to be affected.
The huge JeffCo park is much closer. A big plus.

It is a very quiet street. A huge positive. (Carr carries 95% of the thru traffic.)
The neighbors north of 32nd Avenue are the quietest you will ever have.

2511 Brentwood went from listed to sold in 6 weeks last Summer.
2100 Brentwood went from listed to sold within 7 weeks this Winter.
7940 W 24th Place went from listed to sold in 9 weeks last Fall.
2570 Carr Court went from listed to sold in 8 weeks this Winter.

Assuming that it meets your needs.
Assuming that it "passes" inspection.
I would buy it.

P.S.
No basement means no "water in the basement" issues.
This. Look, I love having a basement, and I specifically bought my house because I wanted to have a basement living area (I work from home with frequent phone interviews, so the quiet provided is essential). But it does take on water occasionally and that is a big source of stress for me. If your sole reason for the basement is storage, I would not let that be a dealbreaker on a nice property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver