Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 09:49 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greentea323 View Post
Probably very low debt! I'm not sure what the HOAs are either,, but I can imagine if they're much over $200/month it would make it harder for those people.
Most of Stapleton doesn't have a secondary HOA, just the $40 master association fee which covers the community as a whole including your pool pass. The houses on courtyards have a separate HOA, I think usually in the 150-200 range, and of course townhouses/condos do. I am responsible for all of my own outside maintenance, landscaping, snow removal, etc. and don't have any HOA. I obviously don't have enough info to know about the income qualified homes this thread started with, but there's a good chance they will have only the $40 per month master assn fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 10:17 PM

12 posts, read 14,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It seems to me like the income restriction is too low. Something like $55K?? You couldn't have a single bill other than mortgage and regular expenses, for sure.
200k house would be roughly a $600(and that's probably high)mortgage extremely doable on even less than 55k. I wonder how those who make 55k can afford to live in one bedrooms that are now going for 1000-1300 a month. I guess when you make boat loads of money or don't actually earn money and have things handed to you, you can be a little out of touch with the average Joe's reality.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:34 PM

112 posts, read 141,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Most of Stapleton doesn't have a secondary HOA, just the $40 master association fee which covers the community as a whole including your pool pass. The houses on courtyards have a separate HOA, I think usually in the 150-200 range, and of course townhouses/condos do. I am responsible for all of my own outside maintenance, landscaping, snow removal, etc. and don't have any HOA. I obviously don't have enough info to know about the income qualified homes this thread started with, but there's a good chance they will have only the $40 per month master assn fee.
That would definitely be something for someone looking at them to consider!

Old 03-17-2016, 08:16 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDNY444 View Post
200k house would be roughly a $600(and that's probably high)mortgage extremely doable on even less than 55k. I wonder how those who make 55k can afford to live in one bedrooms that are now going for 1000-1300 a month. I guess when you make boat loads of money or don't actually earn money and have things handed to you, you can be a little out of touch with the average Joe's reality.
First, a mortgage on a $200K home is over $900, depending on down payment. Second, I don't have things "handed to me", and I am very aware of the "Average Joe". I don't know who you are, or if you even live in Denver. I work for a living, and it took a long time to work my way up from min. wage (what I earned after putting myself through college) to get to above average wages. I also grew up lower middle class, so trust me, I know what "average Joes" go through.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:24 AM

92 posts, read 98,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDNY444 View Post
You are pretty far off.

200k house with 20% down (40k) would look something like this:

$764 mortgage payment, assuming 20% down and 4% interest rate.
$166 property tax (monthly)
$40 HOA fee

970/month before utilities, house/lawn maintenance, insurance etc.

I also find it to be pretty unlikely that many people would have that 40k down payment amount, which makes the mortgage payment go up both because of the amount taken out and because of PMI for having less than 20% equity. 10K down immediately puts the mortgage payment up to $907/month.

I think all of this is do-able, but there are a lot of 'hidden' costs to owning a home that I don't think people take into account when comparing owning vs renting.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:02 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I was obviously not thinking too clearly when I posted this because these are going to be townhomes, and as such, I presume they will in fact have an HOA fee above and beyond the master assn fee.

This is a different income qualified townhouse, the HOA fee here is $110 per month. That's on the lower side from what I've seen so perhaps they also have ways to keep the HOA fees a bit lower for the income qualified homes.

7789 E Martin Luther King Jr, Denver, CO 80238 | MLS 5532305 | Listing Information

Old 03-17-2016, 02:58 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Bring on the, 'It's still not good enough. We want single family detached homes' crowd.
I was half joking about my post on page 1, but imagine that, sub $200,000 housing and people still complain. I seriously think some of you complain just to complain.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:04 PM

12 posts, read 14,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkbill View Post
You are pretty far off.

200k house with 20% down (40k) would look something like this:

$764 mortgage payment, assuming 20% down and 4% interest rate.
$166 property tax (monthly)
$40 HOA fee

970/month before utilities, house/lawn maintenance, insurance etc.

I also find it to be pretty unlikely that many people would have that 40k down payment amount, which makes the mortgage payment go up both because of the amount taken out and because of PMI for having less than 20% equity. 10K down immediately puts the mortgage payment up to $907/month.

I think all of this is do-able, but there are a lot of 'hidden' costs to owning a home that I don't think people take into account when comparing owning vs renting.
My apologies, my numbers were definitely off. I'm glad we agree its still doable and their cost of home ownership should be on the low side with small lots, no landscaping etc.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:40 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
I guess they really want Montbello to move right in not enough they are a stones (bullets) throw away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver