Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 09:09 AM

616 posts, read 2,999,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom View Post
One thing that I would suggest when you look at schools is to not go totally by the CSAP scores. Sometimes they are deceiving. Many parents who left are questioning the validity of them.
Gpraceman, I have heard of other kids who were taken off the enrollment list without permission from the parents.
My wife has had the opportunity to talk to several former AA parents, in her position at a school in Parker. One such parent recently told her that she had witnessed administrators altering CSAP tests. While allowed to erase stray pencil marks, they absolutely are not allowed to change answers. My wife told her she should report it to the district. She didn't say anything at the time since her kids were still at AA and feared reprisals.

I do feel they unenrolled my son so they wouldn't get a zero for his CSAP. If they did it once, it could have easily been done more.

At the beginning of the school year, they were enrolling kids in their school that were physically going to other schools. One mother said all she did was go to an informational meeting and AA enrolled her kid. Their doing this would unenroll the kid from the school that they really were attending and someone would have to go back into the computer system to correct it and recreate the kid's school schedule (no simple task). One kid was disenrolled from my wife's school 3 times and enrolled at AA. My wife's school had to call AA and tell them to knock it off. Either the AA office staff is inept or they were deliberately trying to inflate their October counts and get more public funding than they deserved.

AA is a loose cannon that needs to be reeled in by the district! Whether they like it or not, they are a public school despite their charter status, and are subject to district policy. The district should not be ignorant on some of these issues, as they were heavily involved in us getting our kids out of AA.

Last edited by gpraceman; 12-24-2006 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 09:11 PM

346 posts, read 1,563,854 times
Thanks, everybody. Not sure how my original question led to AA, but oh well. . .
Someone mentioned the Ken Caryl area of Littleton. I have heard great things about Littleton Public School District, but Ken Caryl falls under Jeffco District. Still decent schools? I've checked www.greatschools.net and so far the area schools seem good, but it's always nice to hear from others.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:54 PM

11,822 posts, read 34,335,829 times
CHATFIELD HIGH SCHOOL

Grades 09 - 12 2005 - 2006 School Year

School Performance Summary

Overall Academic Performance on State Assessments High

Academic Growth of Students Decline

How CHATFIELD HIGH SCHOOL Compares To Nearby High Schools
School Academic Performance
COLLEGIATE ACADEMY OF COLORADO High
DAKOTA RIDGE SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL High
COLUMBINE HIGH SCHOOL High
BEAR CREEK HIGH SCHOOL High
JOHN F KENNEDY HIGH SCHOOL Low
SHERIDAN HIGH SCHOOL Low
HERITAGE HIGH SCHOOL Excellent
THUNDERRIDGE HIGH SCHOOL High
GREEN MOUNTAIN HIGH SCHOOL High
SOUTHWEST EARLY COLLEGE CHARTER SCHOOL Low

See Detailed Report

Map this School

See Prior Reports
2005 2004 2003 2002 2001

Old 01-03-2007, 10:18 PM

616 posts, read 2,999,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebagirl View Post
Not sure how my original question led to AA, but oh well. . .
Sorry, I guess we got off on a tangent Just thinking about AA makes my blood boil...

Old 01-04-2007, 08:33 AM

That's O.K. At least I know where NOT to send my kids!

Old 01-04-2007, 09:07 AM

210 posts, read 1,343,054 times
Ken Caryl is a nice area, you feel secluded from the city back there (since you're behind the first range of foothills) but you have easy access into the city. It is Jeffco Schools, which are good schools. Where I live, the assigned high school isn't Chatfield, but there are a few kids in the area who have open-enrolled in Chatfield because it is a good school. Most Jeffco schools are good, the shaky ones are in the northeast part of the county (where Jeffco and Denver meet) but in the suburbs the schools are comparable to those in Douglas County, Cherry Creek, or Littleton.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:04 PM

Thank you, again. I'm hoping to take a trip this winter to check out Parker, Highlands Ranch and certain areas of Littleton and Centennial. I will be visiting schools as well. I am an elementary teacher (working part-time at the moment), and want schools that treat their students with some level of warmth. Yes, test scores are important, but it's too bad it's about the only indicator of a "good" school. When I visit schools, I'm looking for the friendliness of the office staff, whether the teachers work well with the principal, and teacher/student rapport. I know this is hard to determine in a quick visit, but these are some of my priorities. I know only too well that all it takes is a lousy administrator to change the entire dynamics of a school filled with dedicated teachers. Some principals are on power trips, and haven't the slightest idea how to successfully work with the teachers and parents. O.K. I'm rambling. . . If any of you have found my idea of a "good" school, let me know.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,013 times
Wanted to add my opinions in case you're still undecided between these two towns. I'm sure some will disagree with my views but they are just that - my views - and I of course mean no offense to the town of Parker. Indeed, I have several friends with families who love it there.

I have lived in Littleton all of my life and have attended the schools and my children now attend LPS. I have seen Highlands Ranch and Parker go from fields to what they are now and have never considered moving to either town.

The mountains from Parker look very small, sometimes barely rising into the sky, and they feel and look very far away; you typically only see the tallest peaks. In Littleton you can see not only the sloping land just before the foothills but rows of peaks of all different heights. You can see more definition and color so the views are beautiful.

The parks are many and originally designed and the trail systems can take you north to Cherry Creek and downtown Denver or west into the foothills. They are extensive!

Littleton is more centrally located between major suburbs and therefore does not have the country feel you'll notice in Parker. In Littleton you don't really see horse saddle/feed shops, livestock, barns, horses like you do in Parker. (If you like the country, Parker would be a good choice.)

Littleton has well-established neighborhoods as it is an older town but that means more mature landscaping, more original looking homes, a long-standing excellent reputation and a very respected school district. t's tried and true as it were.

Littleton/Centennial is developing a new European-style shopping district called The Streets of Southglenn that will include up-scale lofts. As for the homes in Littleton, you tend to pay more for them but it's generally considered a more desireable town. You can get more house for your money in other towns, but there are reasons for that, some of which I've mentioned here.

Since much of Parker is relatively new, you will see more track housing than in Littleton. Highlands Ranch seems to be 100% tract housing. I know several families who moved OUT of HR into Littleton because of snobbish neighbors, ridiculous covenants, greater exposure to drugs (last I recall HR was the wealthiest city per capita), the little strips of grass called back yards, the close proximity to your neighbors' windows, the unattractive look of rows upon rows of houses that all look alike. I must add that I talk with FAR more people who dislike HR and would never consider moving there than those who like it. I also have two new friends who've moved from MN and LA and they chose Littleton for themselves.

As for schools, I prefer Arapahoe HS & Heritage HS, Powell Middle & Newton Middle and as for elementary schools, those that are rated "high" or "excellent" but not including Mark Twain and Lenski. As for Lenski, I've have too many friends over the years who had discouraging experiences when their children didn't perform at high enough levels; these parents felt Lenski is too test-driven and focused on the almighty CSAP scores and either suffered through it or transfered their children. As for Twain, I personally didn't like the layout - a square, essentially, with classrooms that felt very closed off, very uncreative and a front desk staff I was completely unimpressed with. No warm and fuzzy feelings there. Can especially recommend Sandburg and Franklin. Both have incredibly warm teachers and staff!!

Sorry so long but hope something here helps and again, no offense to those who live outside of Littleton. These are just my preferences. Not to mention, I'd move to HR or Parker before EVER moving out of Colorado!

Love Ken Caryl area but consensus seems to be and I tend to agree that LPS district is superior to Jeffco. Again, can get more house for your money in Jeffco but I do believe the quality of education plays a substantial role in that. I therefore chose Littleton.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:48 AM

99 posts, read 335,027 times
Default Highlands Ranch vs. Littleton

Thanks so much for your opinion. I am struggling with where to move in Colorado next. I currently live in HR and would like to try a different area possibly. I had heard raves about Lenski elementary, so it is good to hear a different viewpoint. I was wondering what the atmosphere is like at Arapahoe High. We did a tour of Heritage High and the administration were all very friendly. When we went to Arapahoe, the receptionist told us that they don't allow strangers in their hallways and therefore they wouldn't take us on a tour. I thought that was very strange. We also toured Cherry Creek High and they were very welcoming.

I know that others love Douglas County Schools, but we have not had the best luck with them.

Thanks everyone for all the information and opinions that you post. You have no idea how much it helps those of us struggling with indecision!

Old 01-30-2007, 11:46 AM

redjenn: Thank you so very much for your detailed reply regarding Parker and Littleton! I have spent months researching areas and schools on the internet, and you succesfully confirmed what I've been thinking. Littleton Public School District seems smaller, and I like that it is not year-round. I now teach in a district where there are 3 high schools, 3 middle schools and 12 elementary. The superintendent knows most of us teachers by name. I would prefer teaching and having my own kids (boy/girl twins, aged 6) in a similar-sized district rather than the mega-districts of Douglas County, Cherry Creek, or JeffCo. I have been mainly impressed with Franklin Elementary, just based on everything I've read. I am also attracted to the older, more established neighborhoods that have more character and trees! (although I would prefer air ducts that are suitable for central A/C) As far as education goes, I look for schools that are warm and friendly, know how to nurture children, welcome parent volunteers and know how to teach the curriculum in an engaging way. There is far too much emphasis on test scores in my opinion, but I know firsthand that it probably won't go away. Just looking for a school that can offer a healthy balance. Thanks again for all your help--you just made my day!! Now if we can only find jobs and a decent home in the area that doesn't empty our pocketbook!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver