Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 03:50 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
That's what I've been saying in a lot of these real estate threads. People complain about the cost of a house, but there are plenty of houses within their budget, they just don't like them for whatever reason. I think we should call the current crop of 1st time home buyers the HGTV generation. Every show on HGTV shows 'first time buyers' finding homes with granite counters, hardwoods throughout, many bedrooms, etc.

Now that's funny!

Another thing that gets me about these shows is how the people can buy $150k houses in the middle of a neighborhood where everything around them is $250-300k. I don't know about Denver, but in CoS, that $150k flipper house is surrounded by a bunch of $175k residences in a neighborhood that overall is run down and/or neglected. Also, how is they can get a plumber to replace the entire system in a house for $3k?

In the collector car market, we call this the Barrett-Jackson effect. Just because you own a beat up, rattle trap, unrestored version of something that sold for a million bucks doesn't automatically mean your POS is now worth half of that. I can see how all these home improvement shows impacting housing that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 06:00 PM

214 posts, read 260,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
When I sold my last (5th) home in Broomfield in 2011, the problem I saw with the 20-something lookers (40 showings before contract) was what they considered a "starter" home.

It wasn't a 3 bed 1 bath 1 car ranch on a slab like my 1st home at age 26. They seem to expect a showhome-like 4 bed 3 bath tri-level, 2 car, finished basement with porches, and walking distance to Starbucks, for under $250K.
If you would have sold in 2015 you would have had 5 all cash offers above asking price within 1 day.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:21 PM

74 posts, read 85,072 times
Quote:
the problem I saw with the 20-something lookers (40 showings before contract) was what they considered a "starter" home.

It wasn't a 3 bed 1 bath 1 car ranch on a slab like my 1st home at age 26. They seem to expect a showhome-like 4 bed 3 bath tri-level, 2 car, finished basement with porches, and walking distance to Starbucks, for under $250K.
Sounds just like my age demographic, They climb the financial latter right out of the gate because they seem to think that is how reality works. Just look at what they buy, right out of high school and into college they buy or lease Audi's, Mercedes, BMW's, Lexus. Its just a disconnect with reality because mommy and daddy never told them that you start with nothing or the cheapest you can afford and work your way up over your life.
The house thing is related to this because mom and dad had a big house so I deserve that to or they just want to flaunt how much it cost and that its in the most trendy expensive part of town. I am probably the crazy one because I dont want a giant house and would love to live in the University Hills area because I like those sensible sized home, Sad they are getting expensive. Point is they just want the best of the best right of the bat with out working towards it.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:11 PM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:
When I sold my last (5th) home in Broomfield in 2011, the problem I saw with the 20-something lookers (40 showings before contract) was what they considered a "starter" home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty-Mill View Post
If you would have sold in 2015 you would have had 5 all cash offers above asking price within 1 day.
How well I know.
To add to the "pain", my buyer sold the house in 2015 for 38%, that's thirty-eight %, more than they paid. No idea if they did any or a lot of upgrades. I do know they sold it to the realtor that handled the buy from me .

But my personal situation was such I had to sell, and in early 2011 there was no clue when or if the market would turn like it did.

But I'm OK, and life goes on

Old 03-23-2016, 08:36 AM

730 posts, read 769,459 times
I agree with jholman. I think a lot of this is a generational thing. And I'm going to pick on my generation (gen X). Just about every family my age feels they need to have the new latest and greatest things in their bigger homes. Granted at my age most of us are not dealing with stater homes but most of the people in my gen have "traded up" to houses that I don't know how they afford. Thinking about the homes my husband and I grew up in, they were nothing compared to what folks would but today or even consider buying. Both of our families were solid middle class.
There is a lot of entitlement in gen x'ers and the following generations. Not a lot of patience. Instant gratification. It's an odd phenomenon. HGTV definitely adds fuel to the fire but I don't think its the primary cause.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:06 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
With zillow you can look at the houses you grew up in and see pics of the inside if they have recently been on the market.

There were 5 of us in a 1584 sqr ft one and a half bath 2 story house built in 1929. I don't remember it being cramped, having any issues sharing a bedroom or there being any issues sharing the one bathroom with a tub and shower. You replaced things when they went bad, not because you wanted a different look.

It is why I can't feel any sympathy for the posters who state they can't find anything livable in Denver for under $300K.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:11 PM

286 posts, read 351,686 times
Here's a skewed perspective on housing, just in case you wanted to stand in slack-jawed amazement.

Palo Alto considers subsidized housing for families making under $250,000 - SFGate

Old 03-23-2016, 02:15 PM

214 posts, read 260,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
With zillow you can look at the houses you grew up in and see pics of the inside if they have recently been on the market.

There were 5 of us in a 1584 sqr ft one and a half bath 2 story house built in 1929. I don't remember it being cramped, having any issues sharing a bedroom or there being any issues sharing the one bathroom with a tub and shower. You replaced things when they went bad, not because you wanted a different look.

It is why I can't feel any sympathy for the posters who state they can't find anything livable in Denver for under $300K.
Buyers are not being too picky... the problem with the Denver housing market is there are too many buyers and too few sellers. The market is way out of balance.

Buying a home in Denver is similar to buying a Tickle me Elmo during the Christmas of 1996.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:26 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty-Mill View Post
Buyers are not being too picky... the problem with the Denver housing market is there are too many buyers and too few sellers. The market is way out of balance.

Buying a home in Denver is similar to buying a Tickle me Elmo during the Christmas of 1996.
Sooner or later, the bubble will burst and the housing market will make a correction. Overpaying for a house in schizophrenic weather Colorado isn't worth being ripped off. It's a fad living in this state because hipsters and yuppies said so.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:27 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Sooner or later, the bubble will burst and the housing market will make a correction. Overpaying for a house in schizophrenic weather Colorado isn't worth being ripped off. It's a fad living in this state because hipsters and yuppies said so.
Enjoy Aridzona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver