Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 08:58 AM

22 posts, read 50,998 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My wife and I are considering a job transfer from Maine to Colorado. The job itself is in Golden. As of right now I would be without a job when we moved. I am not familiar with the area so I need some assistance deciding if it would be a good fit for us.

We are mid 30s with one toddler and a baby on the way. Family activities, daycare, and schools would be important.

We would be renting initially, and ideally would like to pay $1,200-$1,300 for rent. I've briefly looked at rental options in Golden and $1,200 doesn't seem realistic. Is there another area that would be more affordable without a long commute? I'm not against commuting, we did it for years in Dallas, but would prefer not to.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 09:28 AM

42 posts, read 57,695 times
Golden real estate is desirable, due to the proximity of the town to Denver, the mountains providing some sense of separation from the city, and the college. This is reflected in prices, particularly for rental units.

Realistic options for nearby rental include western Lakewood (look along 6th Avenue, near Simms/Union and Wadsworth). There are also apartments to the East of Golden along Colfax. There is not too much in the way of apartment rental to the North and South, though there are some subdevelopments in these directions. Traffic along 6th Avenue mostly moves toward Denver in the mornings, so traffic should not be a major issue.

Congratulations on the new job, best wishes for the move.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:32 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalow Bill View Post
Hello all,

My wife and I are considering a job transfer from Maine to Colorado. The job itself is in Golden. As of right now I would be without a job when we moved. I am not familiar with the area so I need some assistance deciding if it would be a good fit for us.

We are mid 30s with one toddler and a baby on the way. Family activities, daycare, and schools would be important.

We would be renting initially, and ideally would like to pay $1,200-$1,300 for rent. I've briefly looked at rental options in Golden and $1,200 doesn't seem realistic. Is there another area that would be more affordable without a long commute? I'm not against commuting, we did it for years in Dallas, but would prefer not to.

Thanks for the help!
How close do you want to be to Denver? I'm thinking if you're willing to move further away from Denver, the costs will go down. $1,300 isn't going to get you much otherwise, I'm thinking.

A few considerations:

-What line of work are you in?
-What kind of room for advancement do you and your wife have in your careers?
-Will you be moving before or after the baby arrives and how will the baby affect your wife's earning power?
-Do you have any savings? (as in % of annual salary)

Just my off-the-bat impression, I would say things would be tight for a few years, but there is more opportunity here in the Denver area than in Maine. From what I hear about Maine (and have observed from my visit), the economy there is pretty stagnant unless you're involved in tourism somehow. The public schools are also better in general here than in Maine, I'm pretty sure.

Golden is a lovely area - I love the town.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:52 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
OP-You will not be able to find squat unless it's a tiny 1/1 for that type of money. It doesn't sound like you want a family of four living in a 700sq ft apt. You will need to way up your rental budget or sit tight in Maine until you have more money put away. I'm in a 1/1 at $1630.00

Old 04-08-2016, 09:58 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Greater Denver is a very tight rental market.
While there has been some loosening lately, what that really means is: rental increases slowing down and vacancy rates going up by a smidgeon.
More than 60,000 people are moving to greater Denver every year.

In order to rent, you need to:
1. Be prepared to act almost instantly.
2. Expect a large upfront fee.

Consider Arvada and Lakewood. Padmapper.com is a good place to start. Use the filters.

Daycare is very expensive. "With an average annual childcare cost of $12,736 per infant and $9,619 per preschooler, Colorado is one of the least affordable states for full-time, center-based childcare."

Old 04-08-2016, 10:12 AM

618 posts, read 1,365,672 times
Look in Lakewood. If the wife's job is near light rail, you might be able to find something along the rails to make the commute easy, but most of Golden is about 10-15 minute drive from Lakewood. Plus, Lakewood is much more affordable. Also, being closer to Denver will give you more options in your job search if you want to keep commuting to a minimum.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:29 PM

Thanks I'll look in the areas you suggested. Proximity to Denver isn't really a priority. I'm more concerned with finding a safe, family friendly area that is affordable and relatively close to Golden.

The cost of living seems to be more expensive where I currently live with the exception of housing. we could probably budget a little more for rent but not $700.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:55 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalow Bill View Post
Thanks I'll look in the areas you suggested. Proximity to Denver isn't really a priority. I'm more concerned with finding a safe, family friendly area that is affordable and relatively close to Golden.

The cost of living seems to be more expensive where I currently live with the exception of housing. we could probably budget a little more for rent but not $700.
I really don't think there's anything that's unsafe once you get out of certain neighborhoods directly in Denver. And we have an entire thread on here where us east coasters point out that there's no place in Denver that's remotely like Philly or Baltimore.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:03 PM

286 posts, read 351,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I really don't think there's anything that's unsafe once you get out of certain neighborhoods directly in Denver. And we have an entire thread on here where us east coasters point out that there's no place in Denver that's remotely like Philly or Baltimore.
or the bad parts of the SF bay area or LA. Denver and surrounding areas are just a pretty safe metro area. Don't be foolish of course, but the worst of Denver isn't even close to the worst of some of the larger coastal cities.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:31 PM

I've found some places to rent that are relatively close to our price range. Any opinions on Thornton, Lakewood, or Evergreen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver