Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2016, 06:41 PM

11 posts, read 15,835 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

It looks like I will be transferred from NYC to Metro Denver. Most of my work will be in downtown Denver but I will also commute to the Boulder office once or twice a week.

We currently live in Brooklyn but are looking to live in our own 2br house/townhouse/duplex with a modest garden area/sunny patio for a (container) garden and a small dog. Here't the rub: as a single parent with student loans, my housing budget is capped at $1600.

I've been researching Arvada (decent schools, some rentals with gardening space, light rail), Applewood, Park Hill/Stapleton, and Five Points.

We will visit in early June to choose a place for July 1st and I'm not sure what to prioritize:
  • The best rental I can find close to an above average public school with a strong spanish and math program
  • A decent rental at a lower price but close to a Montessori school w/financial aid
  • The best rental home I can find that's a straight shot to a choice school

How hard would it be to get my daughter into West Woods or Meikeljohn in Arvada, Gilpin Montessori, Brown International Academy, or Denver International School? Are there neighborhoods besides the one I mentioned above that I should explore?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 01:38 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
If you are moving this late, then you need to move into the attendance area for the school you like. This is the only way you can guarantee acceptance into the school.

Public School of Choice applications were due months ago, and schools are not likely to accept your child for next school year.

Denver International School is a private school, so you might get accepted there, but any financial aid has likely been allocated for next year.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:11 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,946,364 times
For Choicing into a public school: The applications are due in January and the acceptance letters are in Feb/March. The desirable schools are full and have long waiting lists. You can apply in January of 2017 for the 2017/2018 school year.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:12 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,946,364 times
Where is work?

Old 05-23-2016, 08:12 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Ditto what everyone is saying - you cannot rely on choice at this point in the year. Well, you can't really ever *rely* on it, since you are never guaranteed you child will get assigned where you want. But esp. by now, the more popular schools are full and do not have any choice seats left. However, if you are in the boundary for a school, they have to make room. So you need to pick which school you want and then make sure you find a rental that is in the boundary area for that school.

And it's also the case that even if a private school has open seats - also unlikely as their application and admissions process was completed months ago - they will not have any financial aid funding remaining.

Additionally, your price is not a realistic match for your wish list, certainly in Stapleton/Park Hill, which is the area I'm familiar with. I'll let others weigh in on some of the other locations you mentioned.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:27 PM

126 posts, read 145,546 times
Denver Language Schools is a DPS school. You might want to call them and see if there are any spots left for next year (just FYI, I hear mixed reviews about the school). Since it's charter, you could live in Five Points or other Denver areas within your budget. If it's a no-go, then at $1600 won't get you into the good neighborhood school boundaries in Denver. You're on the right track looking at the western 'burbs (stay away from the east...). From what I hear, the Arvada elementary schools are very large, but good. Good luck.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:15 PM

371 posts, read 494,142 times
At 1600 in a decent school district...think apartment with a balcony. Townhome if lucky.

Arvada is a good place to look. Westminster is fine too, but the parts in Adams County have pretty bad schools, so stay in Jefferson (west of Sheridan Boulevard, generally). If you can handle a nasty drive once a week or so to Boulder, Wheat Ridge and Lakewood are options.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Open enrollment isn't guaranteed, especially if it is a popular school. Living in the attendance area of your "school of choice" is always a better option.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:29 PM

11 posts, read 15,835 times
Sorry for the radio silence and thank you for your feedback. I will be working primarily downtown and will commute either by bike (I'm doing a 35-45 minute one way commute in NYC now) or by light rail.

So far, I have bumped my budget up to $1700 and changed the areas to focus on DU/University Park (UP Elementary), Platte Park/Harvard Gulch (Asbury Elementary), east of Sloan's Lake (Brown Elementary), and Arvada (Peck and Warder Elementaries). We will definitely move into the attendance zone rather than attempt School Choice. Hopefully one of the options above will land us in a decent enough neighborhood with a school that has some non-negligible diversity of family types and demographics since we are a single parent household with multiple heritages.

At any rate, wish us luck! We arrive this week to find a place!

Thank you!

Old 06-06-2016, 09:27 AM

56 posts, read 92,506 times
I would also look at the area a bit south of DU....University Hills area. Elementary school is Bradley International...an IB school. The neighborhood is a bit more affordable than DU. Great school, great staff, great kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver