Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 10:40 PM

5,363 posts, read 5,141,382 times

Advertisements

So I finally get to make one of these threads!!! I finally (after 8 grueling months) got a job! I'll be working right smack downtown. Like I said, it's just me, no pets.

My salary will be $60K (job was better than I thought!) so I'm looking at about $1000 for rent. That'd put me at about 25% of my paycheck to rent, which would be ideal. I could go higher if it was worth it, but I wouldn't go over $1250.

I lived in a really crappy apartment (my bro was remodeling it while I lived there) this summer out in Lakewood. It didn't bother me too bad, including the lack of space. However, I think I'd want a 1 bedroom just for when I have people over it'd be easier, but I'm looking at like 500sqftish.

My company said they'd pay for parking or a light rail ticket. I know driving opens up a lot more options, but I really don't like driving downtown and in traffic, so I'd prefer the rail, but tell me if you think that's dumb. I have a car.

I'm looking at 3 options:
1. Living within walking distance and looking at capital hill or the highlands.
2. Railing in from Littleton
3. Railing in from Aurora near 225 around cherry creek lake.

I don't really want to go back to lakewood or north of downtown (cause I'll be driving to the Springs somewhat often). I'm kinda leaning towards being downtown cause I like walking and it will be a bit more exciting than out in the burbs. I think I'd sacrifice space for location, but I don't know if downtown is feasible given my $1000 cap.

Thoughts?

Also what are some good sites to check for rent besides zillow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 01:05 AM

170 posts, read 246,417 times
It depends on how much space you need. $1000 is doable for a small 1 bedroom in Capital Hill or Highlands. Not sure if parking is even included in that price, but I would advise against street parking in those areas for obvious reasons. If you want to drive you would have heavy traffic to contend with so I would suggest to get a place close to a light rail station or close enough where you can drive and park at one. Your budget in the suburbs where the light rail runs may open you up to larger places and if your lucky a 2 bedroom.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:01 AM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
The North Side (Highland, West Highland, Jefferson, Sunnyside, Berkeley) has an overall vacancy rate of 14% due to recent apartment construction.
No rail, but the buses (32, 38, 44) are a very good (frequent, quick, clean) option.
List prices are not falling, but concessions are appearing.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:32 AM

92 posts, read 98,379 times
Uptown, Cap Hill, Cheeseman, City Park West area. Lots happening, really easy access to downtown. You should be able to find something in the 1000 range there. Get a bike for a really easy commute.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:12 AM

556 posts, read 763,570 times
My buddy lives in capitol Hill. It's a cool place for single folks and very walkable / bike able. He loves it and I would recommend that area.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:46 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,511,698 times
Capitol Hill is perfect and, if you pound the pavement, you can probably find a decent place between $1000 -1250. I've know some places don't even advertise. They just put out a sign. Like the earlier post said, be sure you get a parking spot even if you have to pay extra. It's a nightmare finding street parking in that area.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:26 AM

112 posts, read 141,178 times
My friend lives in the Highlands & says he can walk downtown (where he works..not sure if he actually drives though). He pays just under $1k for a 1 bedroom. Admittedly it's not a luxury apartment at all, but he seems to really love the location and it doesn't look too terrible inside.

I don't think it's a complex with a name though. There's quite a few similar ones over there, maybe there's a phone # outside. Older brick buildings.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:05 PM

170 posts, read 246,417 times
I have a co-worker that just rented a 1 bedroom for $850 a month. The area isn't that bad either it is just north of the intersection of I-25 and 225. Again, you would have to be lucky to find such a price and you would need to be quick.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:01 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys! I found about 10 in the highlands and capitol hill areas and those surrounding them within $900-$1050. Those are neat areas from when I drove/walked through them while I was up there.

If those seem to not be available or working I do have about 10 other places in littleton or aurora where I could rail in.

I completely forgot about parking lol. Thanks for the reminder. I saw the dog eat dog world of trying to get 1 open street parking spot in Capitol hill and I don't need to join in on that.

I'll let you know what I get when I finish up here!

Old 05-22-2016, 01:16 PM

I've got another question, since my company said they would pay for parking or $180 for a rail pass, could I just get that $180 in cash if I walk to work instead of buying a rail pass, or is it just a benefit you give up if you don't use it?

Also, none of my places in capitol hill offer parking. I looked into parking somewhere else and commuting to my car, but it looks like it would be either easy or affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver