Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 09:29 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times

Advertisements

^^^^ Denver is brown half the year. Phoenix is green year-round. I've lived in both cities. I'll take the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 07:00 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
^^^^ Denver is brown half the year. Phoenix is green year-round. I've lived in both cities. I'll take the heat.
Thanks to 2.8 million acre-feet annually of Colorado River water. You're welcome.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:08 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Thanks to 2.8 million acre-feet annually of Colorado River water. You're welcome.
OK, but don't think Denver metro doesn't use a hefty share of water on outside irrigation also.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:21 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Neither city should be green all year round.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:36 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,192,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Every metropolitan area has issues, but ignoring the bad things of Denver and being overly optimistic about this area rather pathetic.

Denver - aging infrastructure not up to today's standards, overly priced homes (affordable only to rich liberals), endless traffic until 10pm - 5am
This is just plain wrong. Clearly you have not spent time in aging rust belt cities of the Midwest or on the East Coast. Our infrastructure here is far superior and updated in comparison to most places in those regions.

I will say that our lack of infrastructure is an issue IMO. The roadway systems are sub par and inadequate, especially the further east of I-25 you go. I think they need a couple more east-west running highways to serve the eastern metro area, equivalent to Hwy 6 and 285. We have nothing on the east side other than Parker Road and an overpriced toll road in E-470.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:27 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
. Why not complain about the prices in New York or San Francisco or any of the other countless cities in this country that cost more than Lincoln?

Honestly all this thread sounds like is sour grapes. If you truly believed that Lincoln was a better place to live than Denver, why would you waste your time complaining about how much Denver costs? You wouldn't is the answer. You're bitter that you want what you can't afford. Welcome to the real world. Again, sour grapes.

I'd like a 3000 sq/ft slope side house in Aspen. I can't afford it. I'm not complaining.
No sour grapes here. I grew up in Colorado Springs and Denver and all my relatives are here, although they are moving when they retire.

I have no sour grapes as I have no jealousy of the people who reside in Denver. I grew up partly in NW Denver.

Other then a small area around of white-table cloth restaurants with 300% markups at 32nd and Tejon and 32nd and Lowell it doesn't offer much.

I was in NW Denver having a cup of coffee and I know a 20-something year old guy from Los Angeles walked in and was laughing at deserted the neighborhood felt compared to Los Angeles. Granted, it was middle-afternoon on a weekday. But still it is funny the reaction people with high expectations have from the Denver lifestyle magazines and tourism bureau publications have when they come to this city.

I think it is funny how these yuppies are bidding up these Denver homes to astronomical levels in neighborhoods that aren't even that nice.

In the 90s it was all "North Denver", but the realtors and marketing publications now call every tiny-micro area in Denver a different neighborhood with a hip name to attract millenials.

I think it is certainly interesting also when these out-of state yuppies flock to Denver thinking it is the perfect city and end up in neighborhoods like Cole, Whittier or Northeast Park Hill. They pay $300,000+ for a small shack with a very small yard with very little retail to live in a very high-crime area.

I personally would never want to live in Aspen. It is isolated, cold, snowy and ultra-pretentious. I also have less energy and don't feel right when I am at that altitude.

It is interesting how this city also gets a pass on it's cold weather. Yes, they do have 10-20 days of very warm winter downslope winds but overall Denver gets nearly as many nights below freezing as Minnesota.

I am not saying Denver is a bad city overall, it is very overrated. It is just very interesting to see a real estate bubble in action.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 06-13-2016 at 12:07 PM..

Old 06-13-2016, 11:36 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
It is interesting how this city also gets a pass on it's cold weather. Yes, they do have 10-20 days of very warm winter downslope winds but overall Denver gets nearly as many days below freezing as Minnesota.
Instead of comparing overnight lows, try daytime highs. Minneapolis spends a solid three months below freezing 24 hours a day. Denver does not.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:56 AM
SQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
No sour grapes here. I grew up in Colorado Springs and Denver and all my relatives are here, although they are moving when they retire.

I have no sour grapes as I have no jealousy of the people who reside in Denver. I grew up partly in NW Denver.

Other then a small area around of white-table cloth restaurants with 300% markups at 32nd and Tejon and 32nd and Lowell it doesn't offer much.

I have never seen a city that hypes it's neighborhoods as much as Denver does.

I was in NW Denver having a cup of coffee and I know a 20-something year old guy from Los Angeles walked in and was laughing at deserted the neighborhood felt compared to Los Angeles. Granted, it was middle-afternoon on a workday. But still it is funny the reaction people with high expectations have from the Denver lifestyle magazines and tourism bureau publications have when they come to this city.

I think it is funny how these yuppies are bidding up these Denver homes to astronomical levels in neighborhoods that aren't even that nice.

I personally would never want to live in Aspen. It is isolated, cold, snowy and ultra-pretentious. I also have less energy and don't feel right when I am at that altitude.

It is interesting how this city also gets a pass on it's cold weather. Yes, they do have 10-20 days of very warm winter downslope winds but overall Denver gets nearly as many days below freezing as Minnesota.
It's all relative, OP. A lot of people are moving here from places that either were far more expensive, or far less expensive but didn't have much to offer. My friends from MI just came in for a visit and were in awe over how many things are are to do here in comparison to Metro Detroit. They were also in awe over how new and clean everything appeared.

There are undoubtedly better places to live in the US. But people come here for a reason. It's a cool city with plenty of entertainment, the weather is pretty darn good, there are jobs, there are mountains, public transit is pretty good. I've been to a good amount of cities in the US. With the exception of the west coast, there are no other places I'd rather live.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:16 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
It's all relative, OP. A lot of people are moving here from places that either were far more expensive, or far less expensive but didn't have much to offer. My friends from MI just came in for a visit and were in awe over how many things are are to do here in comparison to Metro Detroit. They were also in awe over how new and clean everything appeared.

There are undoubtedly better places to live in the US. But people come here for a reason. It's a cool city with plenty of entertainment, the weather is pretty darn good, there are jobs, there are mountains, public transit is pretty good. I've been to a good amount of cities in the US. With the exception of the west coast, there are no other places I'd rather live.
This.

I don't understand why the OP feels that he needs to understand others' taste though. It's a strange thread and despite what he says still feels like sour grapes.

Plenty of people are happy in Lincoln or Memphis or Atlanta or St. Louis, or ...... I don't need to understand why. I know I don't want to live in those places and that others are happy in them. That's good enough for me.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:39 PM
SQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
This.

I don't understand why the OP feels that he needs to understand others' taste though. It's a strange thread and despite what he says still feels like sour grapes.

Plenty of people are happy in Lincoln or Memphis or Atlanta or St. Louis, or ...... I don't need to understand why. I know I don't want to live in those places and that others are happy in them. That's good enough for me.
To answer OP's question about why it's so expensive to live here right now, it all boils down to supply and demand. Denver has grown rapidly over the last decade or so and continues to grow at an astounding pace. That said, there just isn't enough housing inventory to satisfy this influx in population. Simply put, it's expensive to live here because people are willing to move here and pay the higher price to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver