Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 05:35 PM

380 posts, read 1,228,133 times

Advertisements

Most of my experiance is in sales. It is a field that is not always the best paying but usually pretty abundant. I also have experiance is administration, hospitality, hotels, management, and a little bit in education. Where I live there is not allot of career type job and no large corperations. Most people end up working in many fields as a result. Including me! I plan to apply on line with Nike Town as soon as I hear from a possible referance. I am visiting Denver next weekend to get a better feel for what is avalible !!
Denver Aztec, as always great information. I printed that off and plan to keep it well into my move!! As for this trip I only have 3 days and 18 hours of that is going to be drive time. I've been invited to a party Saturday night and the rest of the time I'm just going to be looking around. I just want to see Denver. I picture myself being overwhelmed by the size of it. I might not be able to do much more then walk around with a dumb- founded look on my face !! If you see me say hi !! Any ideas of where I might be able to buy a Mardi Gras mask downtown???

Last edited by the_koolkat; 02-17-2008 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: forgot the quote

Old 02-17-2008, 07:21 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_koolkat View Post
Most of my experiance is in sales. It is a field that is not always the best paying but usually pretty abundant. I also have experiance is administration, hospitality, hotels, management, and a little bit in education. Where I live there is not allot of career type job and no large corperations. Most people end up working in many fields as a result. Including me! I plan to apply on line with Nike Town as soon as I hear from a possible referance. I am visiting Denver next weekend to get a better feel for what is avalible !!
Denver Aztec, as always great information. I printed that off and plan to keep it well into my move!! As for this trip I only have 3 days and 18 hours of that is going to be drive time. I've been invited to a party Saturday night and the rest of the time I'm just going to be looking around. I just want to see Denver. I picture myself being overwhelmed by the size of it. I might not be able to do much more then walk around with a dumb- founded look on my face !! If you see me say hi !! Any ideas of where I might be able to buy a Mardi Gras mask downtown???
I came across the weirdest, coolest costume store in downtown Littleton when I was there. Can't remember the name of it, but maybe someone else will know what I'm referring to. It's not right on the main street, but just off of it. I would think they would have Mardi Gras masks--the place is loaded with tons of stuff.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:43 AM

88 posts, read 309,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyLL View Post
Hey koolkat, just to be clear... there is one less complaint about the weather than you may realize. My 2nd reason is a parody that was written up in The Onion, about a guys arduous trek across a parking lot and all the life threatening situations he found himself in. I thought it was pretty funny... guess nobody else did. The weather in Denver is not bad at all.
I thought it was hilarious!
And, I'm moving to Denver in a couple of weeks. My friends find me generally sarcastic. I think I'm dry. Much like the climate. Hmmm.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:48 PM

99 posts, read 327,387 times
I am considering a move to Denver. I recently earned a degree in Political Science from a midwestern university. I have read extensively about the numerous job opportunities in the federal government in Metropolitan Denver. ( I believe that it is second to Washington D.C. for the number of federal jobs)

So, my question is, how much should I save up monetarily before moving there? I was guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3k, though I am probably deluding myself. Probably more like 4-5k. Thank you in advance.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Have a good six months of living expenses in your bank account. I have heard (can't corroborate) that it is hard to get hired for the federal jobs.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:11 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_koolkat View Post
Sadly, the Colorado Costume company closed their location in LoDo. However, in Cherry Creek north, about 3 miles from downtown, there is a place called the Wizard's Chest Wizard's Chest (click on the link). Check them out, also on south Broadway there is a place called Flossy McGrew's, call them first before going. It is a near new and used place but very popular at Halloween. No web site but here is their information:

Flossy McGrew's

1824 S Broadway
Denver, CO 80210
Phone: (303) 778-0853

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ1977 View Post
I am considering a move to Denver. I recently earned a degree in Political Science from a midwestern university. I have read extensively about the numerous job opportunities in the federal government in Metropolitan Denver. ( I believe that it is second to Washington D.C. for the number of federal jobs)

So, my question is, how much should I save up monetarily before moving there? I was guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3k, though I am probably deluding myself. Probably more like 4-5k. Thank you in advance.
You might was to state what you want to do when you move here, specifically, are you wanting to purchase a home, or rent for a year? If purchasing, what you qualify for and what you want to buy will be the indicator for how much to have saved. If renting, figure a deposit, first and last months rent, moving costs and eventually things like tags for your car as Colorado resident (it can be high if your car is newer and weight can play into the cost, SUVs cost more). Where will you be working and what part of town you want to live? Some people show up with nothing and stuggle to make it work, of course the more you have in savings the better. The Denver Metro area can be night and day from one suburb to the next and the governmental jobs are all over. There is the Federal Center in Jefferson county, Fitzsimmons in Aurora and several branches right downtown, just to name a few. Large companies like Martin Marrietta have government contracts they work on, as well as Ball Aerospace. Maybe figure out what location your tallents and training will be the best fit and then check into the neighborhoods close by for home buying or apartment renting.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Well, look at the saying under my name. Meow. I do not work for the C of C, or in RE. I work in a doctor's office. I will say, there is much more disagreeing on this forum than on some other city forums. There is a lot of talk about the tight job market, the difficulty of finding teaching jobs, etc. And we do it MUCH more respectfully! Probably in part due to our mod, Mike.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-18-2008 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-19-2008, 10:31 AM

249 posts, read 1,029,706 times
the koolcat, I went to grad school in WY for 5 years and absolutely love Denver. It will be a great transition and there really are a lot of people from Wyoming here. THere's a lot of diversity in areas to live, too, so I'm sure you'll find something you like!

Old 02-19-2008, 02:12 PM

261 posts, read 704,857 times
I went to college out here basically for a change from North Carolina. I didn't really like Colorado enough to stay, but I met my future wife in college and she's from Denver. We tried Atlanta for a year, but her parents both had medical problems, so that forced a move back to Denver. We are looking to relocate to Florida or North Carolina, hopefully soon. So, take my comments with a grain of salt because I never wanted to live here and I'm generally a "glass is half empty" person. I'm basically reiterating what everyone else is saying, but some aspects of living here can become annoying, things you don't think about if you have just been out here on a few ski trips or something.

Number one for me is the weather/altitude/dryness combo. The weather here is very extreme. You can have sunny, short sleeved weather in the morning, and a full blown blizzard by afternoon. I always laugh when I hear people from places like Atlanta say "if you don't like the weather, wait half an hour." Uhh, riiiight. Guess you haven't been to Denver. My fingertips crack from the dry air in the winter, and wearing contact lenses can be uncomfortable at times. A lot of people say there are two seasons here, hot and cold.

With the altitude, you are a lot closer to the sun, and it is intense. It's great in the winter. I just walked around my half snowy backyard in shorts, flip flops, and a tank top and it's February. Can't do that in Minneapolis. The downside is that when it's 107 in July, you really understand what the term "urban heat island" means. The Denver area has lots of pavement, very few trees, and hardly any water. It's dry heat, but I would take 90 and humid in NC over some of the southwestern desert heat we get here.

A lot of the city is, in my opinion, really ugly and barren, esp. in the winter. Lots of concrete and dirt with nothing growing but little ugly weeds. Snow turns into black mounds on the sides of the road. Things are a little greener in the summer, but not much.

Snow - I hate it. Winters are mild if you are from Buffalo or something, but if you didn't grow up with it and don't really like it, it gets old fast. Don't let people fool you, it can really dump some snow in the Rockies. It just melts faster. Denver is better than the mountains, but 4WD is definitely a plus when we get dumped on. Last winter was a nightmare. I have seen light snow the first week of June and it almost always snows by Halloween. Sure, you get sunny warm winter days from time to time, but if you're from a warmer place it's a bit overrated, in my opinion. Short/hot/dry growing season if you are a gardener.

My sister disagrees, she moved to Philly from NC and thought the winter weather was really awesome here. I remember her friend got sunburned and it was like early march or something. So, maybe I'm giving Denver too hard of a time. It has been a long time since I've lived somewhere else.

I grew up hanging out at lakes and at the beach in North Carolina, and I can tell you, if you like the water (I do) you will hate that aspect of living here. This is the high plains.

Denver is very isolated from both coasts of the country, in my opinion. Colorado is a huge state, and the west is a vast area. That's a plus for some people, but for me it equals expensive, long plane flights to see the family back east and sort of intensifies the other things I don't like about living here by making me feel like I can't get out.

The outdoor scene is huge here, and if you aren't interested or get tired of doing outdoor stuff all the time, it can get old living here. Where I'm from, outdoor activities can mean more hardcore stuff like rock climbing or hiking the Appalachian Trail, but it's a lot easier to take a laid back walk in the woods or something without taking too many precautions. Here, if you aren't careful, you can die. Wander off on a warm day in the mountains in a t shirt and shorts without checking the weather, and you might not come back. Just something to think about.

Anyway, now that I've sufficiently bashed Denver, I could go on and on about all the good stuff: great microbrews (all over Colorado, not just Denver), breathtaking scenery in the mountains and the view from town is nice, a thriving arts community with several large arts districts (I'm a full time artist), the list goes on. People like to have a good time and are pretty independent in their thinking (marijuana legalization only lost 60/40 statewide, it's legal to possess a small amount now under Denver city law). Not that that means this is Amsterdam west or something, far from it, people just believe in individual rights. I wouldn't say it's necessarily "liberal" here, more like true conservative/libertarian kind of thinking. Live and let live. So, that may be a bad thing for you, but I love it.

People like me are in the minority. Most people move out here because they love the west and all it has to offer. I'm just a beach bum who ended up here by accident. Otherwise I'd probably be out mountain biking or something instead of posting on here! It's not the perfect place for me, but there are a lot worse places to live. If I look out my kitchen window, I see snow capped mountains over the rooftops and it's almost 60 degrees. I'd take that over a basement apartment in New York City any day.

Last edited by blacksmith76; 02-19-2008 at 02:37 PM..

Old 02-19-2008, 02:15 PM

261 posts, read 704,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebagirl View Post
I came across the weirdest, coolest costume store in downtown Littleton when I was there. Can't remember the name of it, but maybe someone else will know what I'm referring to. It's not right on the main street, but just off of it. I would think they would have Mardi Gras masks--the place is loaded with tons of stuff.
Reinke Bros., right down the road from my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver