Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 05:07 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I couldn't possibly read through all 18 pages - but surely someone mentioned the wind???? That is the ONLY thing I truly hate. Oh and the effect of altitude on baking. I was never good at baking in the first place. I have now completely given up
You do not have to give up on baking. Too, much worry is given over the issue of baking at the high altitudes, generally where most people reside at 5,000--8,000 feet. Over that, well just buy a twinkie. I have been here for almost 30 years and I run into very few problems at Denver Altitude. For, most of the premade mixes, it just requires to add more flour to lessen the leavening--many times I just do not bother and it is fine.

The issue is for cakes, batters, cookies is that they rise so much better--there are just a few little adjustments to reduce rise; add moisture; cook faster and higher temps to form the cells faster; less leavener etc. Most recipes will have the adjustments. And even if you made no adjustments--you my not even notice. ---remember you get to eat your mistakes--just eat faster.

Breads rise better and some people like the larger air cells that are produced. Just tell people it is artisan bread. Other issues are flours are a little drier--requires more moisture. There are some issues for some advanced baking products but most home cooks will not bake these items--like some meringues, choux paste, laminated products etc.

I know a little about this issue as I bake and the baking has not made a difference in my girth. Also, I do have a little training--I am a graduate of The Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY., many, many, many years ago or more correctly more pounds ago.. Yes, I definitetly have experience under my belt.

Livecontent

Old 03-19-2008, 06:12 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I couldn't possibly read through all 18 pages - but surely someone mentioned the wind???? That is the ONLY thing I truly hate. Oh and the effect of altitude on baking. I was never good at baking in the first place. I have now completely given up
my pizza always cooked faster in Colorado

Old 03-19-2008, 07:54 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
My 14 year old son is really into the science behind food (loves watching Alton Brown) so since he likes to cook and is MUCH better at it than I am, I have left a lot of it to him during the summer. He just has expensive tastes in ingredients......
We did get a high altitude cook book when we moved here which helps with the basics like pancakes and such. I know there aren't huge differences, but I guess the weird cookies were a bit discouraging at first. But I do like your suggestions - like just eating the mistakes. Guess it tastes the same in the end

Old 03-19-2008, 09:19 PM

386 posts, read 1,692,987 times
Okay. I'll give you a list of 10 reasons not to move to Denver. But it would only be fair to also make a list of 10 things that would make you want to move. So I'll give both!

10 reasons not to move to Denver:

10.) It's pretty isolated. The next "big city" is....well...it's Colorado Springs. And while the Springs is a beautiful town. It's still Colorado Springs. If you want to visit civilization outside of Denver, you'll be hitting the airport, not a gas station.

9.) Bring your lotion and chapstick and bring vats of it. You will dry out like a prune and it will be very uncomfortable. This IS the high desert, after all. Despite the high snowfall totals, it's mostly dry, fluffy snow and Denver does not get very much precipitation in an average year.

8.) A consequence of the dryness is the browness. It's like scorched earth from October to May. It's really cool to wear your sunglasses in the winter--it feels like you're doing a moonwalk!

7.) Boulder. It's 45 minutes away. But anything THAT freaky, 45 minutes is far too close for comfort.

6.) Pollution. You'll get several health warnings where the national weather service advices asmthmatics and old people to not go outside. It's pretty bad. And there are many days in winter where the metro area is socked in with dense smog. It's in a river valley (the platte) so you'll get a lot of inversions and such. And the brown cloud is ubiquitous in the winter.

5.) The winter. I hope you like snow. And by snow I mean

and

Yeah...it's beautiful. But it's miserable to drive in. And it's cold. Schools won't close with less than a foot of snow and you'll be expected to drive, with traffic, in this stuff. Good luck!

4.) Traffic. Denver drivers are insane. And the Mexican immigrants just plain don't know how to drive. It's....fun.

3.) Jobs. There aren't a lot. And the ones that are out there are far too low paying for the ever-rising cost of living. There are plenty of IT and more and more service jobs....but it's not a very hot economy.

2.) The cost of living. It's like it hit a trampoline in the 90s....and we're all still waiting for it to come down. I don't think it will.

1.) The people. The people are...insufferable. They aren't insufferable like the loud and obnoxious New Yorkers or Texans (though many are from Texas and, thus, loud and obnoxious). They are simply passive-agressive, sheltered, weird, rude, and uber-reserved. People in Denver have a nagging suspicion that every stranger is secretly plotting to steal their Hummer or ski rack. It's a strange paranoia, really. Speaking of which...you'll find a lot of David Koresh-style whack-jobs government-phobes here. Not a lot....but there any many, many weirdos. They drive pick-ups, have 50 guns, believe Bush brought down the towers, and are bunkerin' down for when the Mexicans and Mormons take over Colorado. These people are weird. Almost as weird as the losers downtown with at least 47 piercings, 28 tattoos, purple hair, and removeable/replaceable genitalia. Fortunately, these two groups are minorities. Most people are bland, suburban, soccer moms who are stoned on botox and organic goat cheese. You may be Osama Bin Laden and these people wouldn't notice you in their neighborhood until you touch their latte, recycling bin, or PTA membership card. Then it's ON!!

Many natives are weirdly obsessed with Colorado circa 1950. They believe that the Californians and Mexicans are single-handedly responsible for the year 2008 and global warming.

10 reasons why you SHOULD move to Denver:

10.) It's clean. So clean. So very, very clean. Mid-July you really CAN slap an egg on the sidewalk and fry that baby up. It's that clean.

9.) The weather. You get all four-seasons, they are all mild, beautiful, and mostly enjoyable.

8.) It's a great sports city. People LOVE the Broncos and baseball, generally. Granted, they are mostly fair-weather fans. But most are not from Denver and therefore havent' developed the connection to the home teams that natives would. It's a great town for sports enthusiasts and you'll find bars supporting every conceivable team.

7.) Great downtown. It's walkable, clean, busy, and fun. Just try to not step on the homeless people.

6.) Lots of culture! Great museums and theatres. The concert scene is fantastic (Red Rocks!!!!) and you'll always have great ideas for a night out.

5.) It's a young, healthy population. People care about being healthy and it shows. That's a good thing.

4.) Great airport! Even if you have to drive to Kansas to get there, it's well worth the drive.

3.) It's growing--it IS exciting to be part of a growing, vibrant, and increasingly diverse city. You feel like you're part of somthing big.

2.) Cool suburbs. Yeah...I actually like suburbia. And if it's suburbia you're into...Denver's got a tremendous selection.

1.) FTW...it's a breathtaking city...

http://www.worldexecutive.com/citygu...r/denver_1.jpg

http://www.rockiesguide.com/guide/up..._From_Park.jpg
http://foam-core-skier.com/guidebook/images/anvilMnt.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by jeannie216; 03-20-2008 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: copyright issues

Old 03-19-2008, 09:54 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
Okay. I'll give you a list of 10 reasons not to move to Denver. But it would only be fair to also make a list of 10 things that would make you want to move. So I'll give both!

10 reasons not to move to Denver:

10.) It's pretty isolated. The next "big city" is....well...it's Colorado Springs. And while the Springs is a beautiful town. It's still Colorado Springs. If you want to visit civilization outside of Denver, you'll be hitting the airport, not a gas station.

9.) Bring your lotion and chapstick and bring vats of it. You will dry out like a prune and it will be very uncomfortable. This IS the high desert, after all. Despite the high snowfall totals, it's mostly dry, fluffy snow and Denver does not get very much precipitation in an average year.

8.) A consequence of the dryness is the browness. It's like scorched earth from October to May. It's really cool to wear your sunglasses in the winter--it feels like you're doing a moonwalk!

7.) Boulder. It's 45 minutes away. But anything THAT freaky, 45 minutes is far too close for comfort.

6.) Pollution. You'll get several health warnings where the national weather service advices asmthmatics and old people to not go outside. It's pretty bad. And there are many days in winter where the metro area is socked in with dense smog. It's in a river valley (the platte) so you'll get a lot of inversions and such. And the brown cloud is ubiquitous in the winter.

5.) The winter. I hope you like snow. And by snow I mean

and

Yeah...it's beautiful. But it's miserable to drive in. And it's cold. Schools won't close with less than a foot of snow and you'll be expected to drive, with traffic, in this stuff. Good luck!

4.) Traffic. Denver drivers are insane. And the Mexican immigrants just plain don't know how to drive. It's....fun.

3.) Jobs. There aren't a lot. And the ones that are out there are far too low paying for the ever-rising cost of living. There are plenty of IT and more and more service jobs....but it's not a very hot economy.

2.) The cost of living. It's like it hit a trampoline in the 90s....and we're all still waiting for it to come down. I don't think it will.

1.) The people. The people are...insufferable. They aren't insufferable like the loud and obnoxious New Yorkers or Texans (though many are from Texas and, thus, loud and obnoxious). They are simply passive-agressive, sheltered, weird, rude, and uber-reserved. People in Denver have a nagging suspicion that every stranger is secretly plotting to steal their Hummer or ski rack. It's a strange paranoia, really. Speaking of which...you'll find a lot of David Koresh-style whack-jobs government-phobes here. Not a lot....but there any many, many weirdos. They drive pick-ups, have 50 guns, believe Bush brought down the towers, and are bunkerin' down for when the Mexicans and Mormons take over Colorado. These people are weird. Almost as weird as the losers downtown with at least 47 piercings, 28 tattoos, purple hair, and removeable/replaceable genitalia. Fortunately, these two groups are minorities. Most people are bland, suburban, soccer moms who are stoned on botox and organic goat cheese. You may be Osama Bin Laden and these people wouldn't notice you in their neighborhood until you touch their latte, recycling bin, or PTA membership card. Then it's ON!!

Many natives are weirdly obsessed with Colorado circa 1950. They believe that the Californians and Mexicans are single-handedly responsible for the year 2008 and global warming.

10 reasons why you SHOULD move to Denver:

10.) It's clean. So clean. So very, very clean. Mid-July you really CAN slap an egg on the sidewalk and fry that baby up. It's that clean.

9.) The weather. You get all four-seasons, they are all mild, beautiful, and mostly enjoyable.

8.) It's a great sports city. People LOVE the Broncos and baseball, generally. Granted, they are mostly fair-weather fans. But most are not from Denver and therefore havent' developed the connection to the home teams that natives would. It's a great town for sports enthusiasts and you'll find bars supporting every conceivable team.

7.) Great downtown. It's walkable, clean, busy, and fun. Just try to not step on the homeless people.

6.) Lots of culture! Great museums and theatres. The concert scene is fantastic (Red Rocks!!!!) and you'll always have great ideas for a night out.

5.) It's a young, healthy population. People care about being healthy and it shows. That's a good thing.

4.) Great airport! Even if you have to drive to Kansas to get there, it's well worth the drive.

3.) It's growing--it IS exciting to be part of a growing, vibrant, and increasingly diverse city. You feel like you're part of somthing big.

2.) Cool suburbs. Yeah...I actually like suburbia. And if it's suburbia you're into...Denver's got a tremendous selection.

1.) FTW...it's a breathtaking city...

http://www.worldexecutive.com/citygu...r/denver_1.jpg

http://www.rockiesguide.com/guide/up..._From_Park.jpg
http://foam-core-skier.com/guidebook/images/anvilMnt.jpg (broken link)
Fantastic post....btw GW did bring down the towers

Last edited by jeannie216; 03-21-2008 at 12:03 PM..

Old 03-19-2008, 09:56 PM

435 posts, read 1,815,211 times
Quote:

I have to say I really laughed at this one. Especially the bland, suburban soccer moms.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:57 AM

676 posts, read 2,797,119 times
I think this guy is a stoned soccer mom with 28 tattoos

Old 03-20-2008, 11:44 AM

386 posts, read 1,692,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
I think this guy is a stoned soccer mom with 28 tattoos
Oh....if ONLY my life was that exciting!

Old 03-20-2008, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_koolkat View Post
Ok, here we go. It is getting down to the wire and I am 99.9% sure Denver is the place I want to make my new home. There is a whole lot of "wonderful" about the city and most of the threads/posts about Denver are very positive. I know it is crazy to ask for complaints. However, I want a complete picture and I want to be sure I have concidered everything. I really will respect everyone's opinion so PLEASE share !!
Everything is up to you! It can be the best place or the worst...you decide.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:26 AM

215 posts, read 771,695 times
I keep reading how Denver is a young city, and also has a lot of young people. I'm single and 42. Will I feel out of place or like the guy at the young club who's just a little too old to be there?

Quote:
They're not???

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver