Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,670 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving to Denver also. This thread is helpful. For me it sounds like Denver has many more positives than negatives. It's good to also hear the other side.

I don't understand the earlier post, where someone said "I think if you like West Coast culture, you'll like Denver." I have lived on the west coast before. I have lived in Seattle, Portland and San Diego. I haven't lived in Denver yet, but have spent a lot of time in Denver for business. I haven't noticed that the culture in Denver is like those cities. Why would I like Denver if I like West Coast culture. Is that meant to be a reason not to move to Denver?

Old 04-12-2008, 07:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
I wonder how Katriana (sp?) can get rivers out of her heart if she grew upin Pittsburgh.
I do miss the rivers and the river culture, even though my family never owned a boat or went boating. In my opinion, however, Pittsburgh's industrialness is no more inspiring than Denver's. For one thing, most of Pittsburgh's is shut down and falling apart. Old "brownfields" are being razed and replaced by shopping centers in some cases. In other cases, huge steel mills are just standing empty. Good luck to you in your decision.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:29 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backspace View Post
After reading this post, I am almost certainly going to leave Denver. STL soundsmore interesting, maybe KC. My main discontent with Denver is the browndirt, scrubby weeds, and banged-up industrial areas in many parts of town.I think Pittsburgh's industrialnessis much more melancholy and beautiful by comparison. I do like industrialness. But I don't like Denver's. Equally unappealing to me is the lack of woods. Not far East into Kansas, you will find stands of trees on the high plains, grouped together to form a tiny forest. You will never find such a thing in Denver. Lastly, it is rivers that I miss the most. I wonder how Katriana (sp?) can get rivers out of her heart if she grew upin Pittsburgh. I grew up in Illinois, and my town was at the confluence of the Illinois and the Kankakee rivers. Like Norman Mclean said, "I am haunted by rivers". It is the bike trails, in my opinion, that make Denver such a special city. (I don't ski, and abhor going into the mountains)Many new and vibrant communities also make it a a great place to live.So much wealth and charm in some areas. I don't think STL, for example could hold a candle to Denver in regards to its newness, and vibrancy. Although, I'd imagine parts of STL are strong with wealth, charm and character. I think I would rather be in a place like STL. A place where you can drive into the countryside, and actually see countryside. If you drive east outside of Denver, you will run into a whole lot of brown nothingness.
The "Brown Notingness" depressed me on the way to work. I am in sales, and you have to have a good attitude. The nasty scenery was a major downer. People talk about the amount of sunshine: It just made the
flat brown nothingness brighter. I think if you are a prarie dog, you would really "dig" denver. I got a neck ach (true story) for always craining my head to look at the boring looking mountain range to the right, just so I could avoid looking at the Brown nothingness. Tis a wonder I did not wreck. BTW Maybe that is why I25 has so many wrecks. Just too darn much Brown Nothingness for most drivers to handle

Ironically, I moved to Phoenix. We have NO BROWN NOTINGNESS anywhere. Its rather a green looking place with all the desert plants, cacti, and palm trees. Arizona is covered in pine forests, which I really missed from moving from Washington State. Hey, while you guys were having your mini blizzard that postponed your Rockies Baseball game, it was a breezy 82 degrees here.

I have not been to St L. But it sounds kind of nice. Im just not sure I could handle the humidity. You don't really hear anyone dogging the place, thats for sure.

Good luck to you, may you walk in your mini forests and the GREEN SOMETHINGNESS soon.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizatalesi View Post
I'm thinking about moving to Denver also. This thread is helpful. For me it sounds like Denver has many more positives than negatives. It's good to also hear the other side.

I don't understand the earlier post, where someone said "I think if you like West Coast culture, you'll like Denver." I have lived on the west coast before. I have lived in Seattle, Portland and San Diego. I haven't lived in Denver yet, but have spent a lot of time in Denver for business. I haven't noticed that the culture in Denver is like those cities. Why would I like Denver if I like West Coast culture. Is that meant to be a reason not to move to Denver?
It is and it isnt.

Denver is more conservative. Also I found a lot of Texas in Denver. Sports is very importand. No one loses a nights sleep when the Seahawks, Portland trailblazzers, or San Diego Chargers lose the game. The Broncos lose and its all they talk about on the Radio for a week, even with 5 other sports teams. Im a big sports fan, so I like this aspect of Denver.

Sounds like you might like sea food. You live in Coastal towns. Just a wild guess. If so, you are going to be disappointed witht he freshness of the Sea Food in Denver. It has to be shipped a long way.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:51 PM

287 posts, read 503,436 times
Now that is a great point, people go on and on about sunshine as if it'sthe best invention since sliced raisin bread. Similar to you point, I donot like sunshine in the winter. I think bright sunshine and a snow covered landscape (in the depths of winter) is not a pretty site. I like the more melancholylook and feel of a gun metal grey sky. It inspires me, and enhances thesubtle hues of the landscape. But again, it's all about childhood. I grewup in the Midwest where grey skies and winter go hand in hand. I don'tknow if you can ever escape the nostaligic impressions of childhood.</p>

Old 04-12-2008, 01:30 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Now that is a great point, people go on and on about sunshine as if it'sthe best invention since sliced raisin bread. Similar to you point, I donot like sunshine in the winter. I think bright sunshine and a snow covered landscape (in the depths of winter) is not a pretty site. I like the more melancholylook and feel of a gun metal grey sky. It inspires me, and enhances thesubtle hues of the landscape. But again, it's all about childhood. I grewup in the Midwest where grey skies and winter go hand in hand. I don'tknow if you can ever escape the nostaligic impressions of childhood.</p>
Man, I totally disagree. Snow and blue skies are some of the most beautiful sights God invented on this planet! To each their own, I guess. I guess the midwest must be calling you back...

Old 04-12-2008, 01:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
I have concluded when it comes to weather, people like:
What they grew up with, whatever it was; and/or some place warm and sunny.

I for one, don't like the hot summers we get here in metro Denver. Coming from a place where there are six days on average of >90 degree temps, to someplace where there are, on average, 33 days, and it is not unusual to see 100 degrees on a day or two in summer, it's not my favorite part of the Denver area climate. And I love rain. I look forward to spring with the rainy days. My kids have grown up here with heat and sunshine and they love it! One of my daughters even said it doesn't seem like summer w/o at least one 100+ degree day. The ironic thing is, one of them went to college in Indiana, and about Nov. 1 she asked when it would start snowing. Her friends from there thought it was crazy that it would snow here for Halloween.

When we first moved here, I didn't like the intense sunshine either, though, frankly, I loved sun in winter from the beginning. Now I love it and I miss it when we go back east. A friend from Wisconsin went back for Christmas one year and came back and said "Now I know why those people drink so much. It's so depressing!"

Old 04-12-2008, 02:34 PM

287 posts, read 503,436 times
Yes, I know my views are shared by virtually no one. I usually don't bother to bring them up because I get strange looks. Why would someone want to drink more because wisconsin is dreary in the winter? Is that want she thinks wisconsin people are inclined to do? Drinking per se is depressing. Rain is something that is surely missed here in Denver. When I lived in Tallahasse it would pour. Rain would roll off my windows in sheets, cracks of thunder would knock you off the chair. It was scary good. Good weather for frolicking in bed. Is it possible I am just discontent wherever I live?I lived in Tallahassee and longed for the openness of the West. I couldn't waitto see the landscape open up when I started my drive West. I remember thefirst glimpse of it came about mid-way through Oklahoma, and I thought, yes!this is what's been missing.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have concluded when it comes to weather, people like:
What they grew up with, whatever it was; and/or some place warm and sunny.

I for one, don't like the hot summers we get here in metro Denver. Coming from a place where there are six days on average of >90 degree temps, to someplace where there are, on average, 33 days, and it is not unusual to see 100 degrees on a day or two in summer, it's not my favorite part of the Denver area climate. And I love rain. I look forward to spring with the rainy days. My kids have grown up here with heat and sunshine and they love it! One of my daughters even said it doesn't seem like summer w/o at least one 100+ degree day. The ironic thing is, one of them went to college in Indiana, and about Nov. 1 she asked when it would start snowing. Her friends from there thought it was crazy that it would snow here for Halloween.

When we first moved here, I didn't like the intense sunshine either, though, frankly, I loved sun in winter from the beginning. Now I love it and I miss it when we go back east. A friend from Wisconsin went back for Christmas one year and came back and said "Now I know why those people drink so much. It's so depressing!"
you need to move to Bellingham Washington. You would love it there.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:20 PM

386 posts, read 1,692,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizatalesi View Post

Denver is not like the west coast at all. The only similarity is that they are both full of Californians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver