Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 12:33 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,845,186 times

Advertisements

It is nothing like Chicago so if you don't like Chicago, you may like it.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:25 AM

380 posts, read 1,225,446 times
Hi Guys. I am now living in Denver! 26 pages of reasons not to move here couldn't keep me away! I am glad they didn't. I love it here. Sticking with the subject 10 reasons not to move here...alright.

1) There is just so much to do you might have a hard time choosing.

2)The people are to friendly. You'll have to many friends to handle in no time.

3) The weather is sunny and nice way to many days in a row.

4) There are so many great restaurant to choose from you may never eat at home again.

5)Shopping, shopping, shopping...great stores everywhere to help you part with your money.

6) Crime is so low. Been here all this time and haven't been mugged once. And I thought I moved to a city!

7) Where is this high cost of living I was told to be wary of? I filled my house with food for just $60.

8) I have just wasted away to many sunny days just wondering around the zoo. Such a distraction and right in the middle of town too!

9)It took me a whole two days to find a house for rent and it is only $450 a month. I am in the big, bad city now. Rent should be at least as much as it was in Wyoming!

10)They have these buses and trains here that take you everywhere. Thanks to them I am always at restaurants, or stores, or the zoo, instead of staying home and being good!

11) The single biggest reason to stay away especially if you are a single female...the men! The are everywhere and so attractive, interesting, and fun. What ever you do don't surround yourself with all the temptations!

Anyway, as you can see I am having fun here. Truth is I have not found 10 negative things about Denver yet!

Old 09-27-2008, 11:04 AM

402 posts, read 1,262,035 times
Hardest thing about 10 negatives is that some people's negatives are someone else's positives.

1)Low humidity, I love it, but others hate it. I get shocked all winter long everytime I touch something metal in my house. It's just part of life that I know to touch something metal before I touch my computer.

2)The amount of snow. Compared to snow in upstate NY and other north eastern cities, it's much lighter fluffier, melts really quickly, and is easy to shovel. Compared to San Diego we get a lot of snow.

3)The size of the city. Compared to larger metropolitan areas NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, Atlanta, etc Denver is a small city. Depending on what you want depends on if that's for you, Denver doesn't have the ill effects of being so large, but at the same time it doesn't have the same massive infrastructure for a subway, mass transit to every street you could ever want to get to, no "in your face" million things at once going on kind of environment like Time Square. Good/Bad? depends on you

4)Are you a smoker? Denver has what I'd say being higher anti-smoking laws than some places. It's not quite as anal as Phoenix on anti smoking, but you can't smoke indoors or anywhere on hospital property (including the parking lot). But you're not going to pay $8/pack like in NYC. If you don't smoke, then you don't have smoke in restaurants/bars, near hospitals, the airport, etc.

5)Traffic going to the mountains. Moving here for the mountains like everyone else? Well you'll be driving nice and slow with them on your way to go skiing on the weekends. Traffic isn't as bad as trying to get to the Jersey Shore on a Friday, but you're still going to be stuck in traffic on your way up and back down the hill. If it's snowing near Georgetown or Eisenhower Tunnel, then you're bound to have someone that doesn't know how to drive in the snow get in a wreck.

6)Is your front windshield in your car cracked? Well it's going to be. Hopefully it cracks in a way that you can still see, otherwise you'll be replacing it in a year.

7)Need the ocean or some other larger body of water? Too bad, you're going to have to give that up and take your vacation time from work for that. We have some lakes that you can boat on, ski, wakeboard, etc. But if you come from a coastal state, you better be ready to give up all those water sports. But you can replace them with kayaking/canoeing/rafting during part of the year if you want. Deep sea fisherman(or women) will hate Colorado

8)Not looking for a guy that wants to be active everyday with every sport imaginable (besides surfing, which is only during vacations or trips "home")? It might take a little time to find one that's not taken already.

9)Culturely execlusive neighborhood? You're not going to find a Little Italy or Chinatown in Denver. Those Polish, Russian, Jewish, or Black neighborhoods you're used to in the northeast don't exist. You're going to live intermingled with everyone here. Check your prejudice at the boarder please.

10)Is fall your favorite season? You'll have to plan some vacations during that time. Denver is "high desert" so you won't find many native maple trees here. Besides, sometimes even the trees don't know whether it's not summer until a week before it snows.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:49 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,690,061 times
zion: omg you crack me up. I've blown so many speakers before and once my system by touching it first. ouch. I've actually seen the sparks fly. And the lack of humidity has me buying lotion in bulk. No amt. of water I drink seems to help. I love humidity. So yeah, it's a minus for me but a plus for many others.

I hate the snow. While it's not the NE, it's not fun for me. I get tired of jumping over piles of snow to get to the otherside of the street. I get very tired of walking around like some old lady --- I've ate it too many times on the ice to want it to happen again. That said, our Christmas' here, downtown, are awesome. I think the city does a great job of decorating and I just love the month of Dec. But then I'm done and am ready for summer.

I have seen just about every street, every sidewalk, been to every restaurant, every bar. Every tiny museum, every park. So I suppose Denver has grown to be very small to me. I'm an explorer and the thought of exploring Miami is very exciting to me.

I don't smoke and love our laws!!! So I'm expecting Miami to be tough for me. But we used to have smokers all over the place, so I'll just adjust.

The traffic coming back from the mtns. is getting worse every year. I remember when hardly anyone was on that highway, now it's expanded and just packed. Yep, the secret's out, everyone is coming here for our damn mtns.

I think our windshields get cracked all the time from all of the kicked up gravel. It happens after every snow. Were you here, I think it was 2 yrs. ago, when we had these extreme pot holes??

None of our lakes do it for me, they aren't even remotely like the sea. Forget diving in our lakes, yuck. And the canoeing thing just doesn't do it for me, not like in the ocean.

HA! I took the last available man who is into the arts, theater, politics and things that do not encompass the Broncos/Rockies. phew.

Trust me, there is plenty of prejudice here, and racists galore with the recent "let's blame the mexicans" attitude, but yeah, I'm grateful it's not the south.

The seasons here are really what make Denver great. If you are sick of winter, well, spring is on it's way. If you are tired of summer, fall is just around the corner. I think for a lot of people coming from extreme places, like um, Miami, would like our seasons here.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:20 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,765,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zionvier View Post
Hardest thing about 10 negatives is that some people's negatives are someone else's positives.

1)Low humidity, I love it, but others hate it. I get shocked all winter long everytime I touch something metal in my house. It's just part of life that I know to touch something metal before I touch my computer.

2)The amount of snow. Compared to snow in upstate NY and other north eastern cities, it's much lighter fluffier, melts really quickly, and is easy to shovel. Compared to San Diego we get a lot of snow.

3)The size of the city. Compared to larger metropolitan areas NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, Atlanta, etc Denver is a small city. Depending on what you want depends on if that's for you, Denver doesn't have the ill effects of being so large, but at the same time it doesn't have the same massive infrastructure for a subway, mass transit to every street you could ever want to get to, no "in your face" million things at once going on kind of environment like Time Square. Good/Bad? depends on you

4)Are you a smoker? Denver has what I'd say being higher anti-smoking laws than some places. It's not quite as anal as Phoenix on anti smoking, but you can't smoke indoors or anywhere on hospital property (including the parking lot). But you're not going to pay $8/pack like in NYC. If you don't smoke, then you don't have smoke in restaurants/bars, near hospitals, the airport, etc.

5)Traffic going to the mountains. Moving here for the mountains like everyone else? Well you'll be driving nice and slow with them on your way to go skiing on the weekends. Traffic isn't as bad as trying to get to the Jersey Shore on a Friday, but you're still going to be stuck in traffic on your way up and back down the hill. If it's snowing near Georgetown or Eisenhower Tunnel, then you're bound to have someone that doesn't know how to drive in the snow get in a wreck.

6)Is your front windshield in your car cracked? Well it's going to be. Hopefully it cracks in a way that you can still see, otherwise you'll be replacing it in a year.

7)Need the ocean or some other larger body of water? Too bad, you're going to have to give that up and take your vacation time from work for that. We have some lakes that you can boat on, ski, wakeboard, etc. But if you come from a coastal state, you better be ready to give up all those water sports. But you can replace them with kayaking/canoeing/rafting during part of the year if you want. Deep sea fisherman(or women) will hate Colorado

8)Not looking for a guy that wants to be active everyday with every sport imaginable (besides surfing, which is only during vacations or trips "home")? It might take a little time to find one that's not taken already.

9)Culturely execlusive neighborhood? You're not going to find a Little Italy or Chinatown in Denver. Those Polish, Russian, Jewish, or Black neighborhoods you're used to in the northeast don't exist. You're going to live intermingled with everyone here. Check your prejudice at the boarder please.

10)Is fall your favorite season? You'll have to plan some vacations during that time. Denver is "high desert" so you won't find many native maple trees here. Besides, sometimes even the trees don't know whether it's not summer until a week before it snows.
I actually ruined all the DVD players in the house, and 2 laptops with static electricy shocks.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 10,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelumbo View Post
Some of these may be trivial, some may or may not be negatives for you personally.

9. Some retailers do not operate here for various reasons (liquor laws, distribution). This includes Trader Joes and Ikea.
I missed Trader Joe's when I 1st moved here. I don't anymore.

Sunflower Farmers Market is great: Sunflower Farmers Markets - Home Page (http://www.sfmarkets.com/retailer/store_templates/shell_id_1.asp?storeID=69610B99DE2C416A84CC8693150 E7216 - broken link)

For wine: [url=http://www.applejack.com/]Welcome To Applejack.com![/url]

Great selection. Cheaper than Trader Joe's

Ikea is coming to Centennial:

[url=http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2008/09/08/daily25.html?ana=from_rss]Ikea plans store in Centennial - Denver Business Journal:[/url]

Old 09-28-2008, 04:38 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,327,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
I actually ruined all the DVD players in the house, and 2 laptops with static electricy shocks.
How does that happen? Don't they have a conductive shell grounded through the power cord?

Old 09-28-2008, 09:29 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,765,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
How does that happen? Don't they have a conductive shell grounded through the power cord?
Dude, I have know Idea. We also learned we had a gas fireplace leak, maybe it made the shocks all that more explosive, I just cannot explaine it. Ill tell you what, Im here in AZ and its hot, but all my new electronics still work and Im no longer afriaid of metal

Old 09-28-2008, 10:32 PM

380 posts, read 1,225,446 times
LOL...I haven't gotten shocked yet. But then I grew up in Wyoming, also very dry, I think I just always ground myself with out even thinking about it!

Old 09-29-2008, 11:33 AM

402 posts, read 1,262,035 times
I've actually shut my TV off without ever touching my remote control. Touch the metal table about an inch from the remote, saw the arc jump to the remote and the little TV light on the remote blink and off went the TV. It was definitely a one in a million chance because I haven't been able to make it happen intentionally since

By the end of winter I'm tired of shocking my finger, so I start touching my leg to the table, arm, side, etc... just to not have to get shocked on the tip of my fingers anymore. I've even tried to run bare wire in the carpet and ground them out to the outlet, but that hasn't helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver