Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 09:53 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,618,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
The first time we went to an evening performance at DPAC I was amazed at how casually people dressed. Lots of jeans and not just from the young crowd. Anything goes.
When I saw "Wicked" it was a mix, some very nicely dressed, some more casual.
When I saw "If/Then" the crowd was mostly older and stunningly attired - beaded gowns, sequins, the works.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 10:08 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,283,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
When I saw "Wicked" it was a mix, some very nicely dressed, some more casual.
When I saw "If/Then" the crowd was mostly older and stunningly attired - beaded gowns, sequins, the works.

My daughter's seventeenth birthday present was two tickets to see Wicked, which she attended with her best friend. She wore a black twin set and '50s-style full skirt (aqua background with a beautiful floral pattern) with kitten heels. She looked lovely and appropriate, even to my discerning "we dress to go to the theater" sensibilities. Our family fully embraces Colorado casual, but going downtown to a show in jeans is completely unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:27 AM

137 posts, read 195,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
I have always wondered why some people complain about this fact. Isn't it better to not have the pressure to dress up every time you go out? I hope this never changes as it's something that makes this region awesome.
Many people who complain about it are interested in enforcing a social standard that dates back to aristocracy and the emulation of it. You dress up to look wealthy, regardless of whether you actually are. It allows you to find your place in a pecking order and is some sort of weird competitive and "better than the others" thing.

This still exists in a weird form on the west coast, with the well-known outdoor labels people have been talking about. It's the same reason people buy Audis, MBs and BMWs. If you look at the raw economics, it doesn't make sense a lot of the time, but people do it for image.

Hipsters enforce their own social code as well.

I grew up white trash listening to punk rock; most of the bands I listened to wore simple t-shirts and jeans. I don't really care about how fancy I am. I'll follow certain social dress standards when they are about other people (weddings, important meetings, etc.) but it's not about me.

People should do whatever makes them happy, but I'm glad to live in a place where the way I dress is a significantly lower priority. I look at clothes as functional; I have a hard time spending five to 10 times as much on something that's not functionally different from the other cheaper thing. I'd rather use that money to save for retirement or do something fun.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:40 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,069,151 times
At the first wedding I went to in Denver, one woman was wearing a denim jumper. It was a daytime wedding but most people were dressed up in cocktail dresses and suits, so that really stuck out to me.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:51 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,726,620 times
A couple of years ago I was at a networking meeting and one of the attendees who had recently moved from the east coast was pissed and insulted the whole crowd basically saying that only 1 or 2 people in the group were serious as they were the only ones who dressed up for work. A couple of weeks later the guy apologized to the organizer, as he figured out that is how everybody dresses out here. For some occasions I will put on a suit, but for the most part I do not see a reason to even put on a tie every day.

As for whether it is due to hipster influence, I would say no. Considering people in Colorado have basically dressed casual for decades, I have been told many many times to never show up wearing a suit in many areas of the state. I would say more that Denver and the rest of the western states are actually influencing the hipsters.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:01 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,283,669 times
I don't think skinny jeans are a specifically Colorado thing. Maybe the flannel? Hipster fashion is a very distinct style from Colorado casual. No self-respecting Hipster would ever be seen in a North Face fleece.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:53 AM

9 posts, read 7,760 times
I also moved here from the southern East Coast and was pretty shocked at the generally acceptable attire for even adults in this city. In Cherry Creek North, Cherry Hills and Evergreen you won't see it as much but it's there.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:48 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
A couple of years ago I was at a networking meeting and one of the attendees who had recently moved from the east coast was pissed and insulted the whole crowd basically saying that only 1 or 2 people in the group were serious as they were the only ones who dressed up for work. A couple of weeks later the guy apologized to the organizer, as he figured out that is how everybody dresses out here. For some occasions I will put on a suit, but for the most part I do not see a reason to even put on a tie every day.
I'd hate to see that East Coast person in Hawaii.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:53 PM

56 posts, read 60,265 times
I have no clue why people would use the generalized term "west" to describe Denver's fashion. Denver and maybe 1-2 other cities in the West have a unique 5-6 month long winter that requires several different types of jackets/coats which personally took me 3 years to attain(laugh all you want but I'm middle class). In Denver, you need a $100-300 overcoat for professional attire (and good luck finding a nice wool coat under $150), then you need another expensive waterproof coat if you plan to be outdoors any(Northface, etc.), and then in October, April, May, and a few days in between you need a lighter jacket, maybe even a 4th raincoat for rainy seasons like early summer.

In the south most people wear a fleece jacket all winter. A fleece jacket not only won't work in the snow out here, but it won't be nearly warm enough.

Secondly, you need at least $300-500 worth of boots, including a REAL pair of hiking boots (not your average Timberlands), and then you also need another pair of hiking boots that are low-ankle for climbing areas like the Flatirons and rock climbing in the summer. And then add on your casual shoes and tennis shoes. Oh, and don't forget your snow boots.

In the south you only need 2 pairs of shoes, tennis shoes, and casual/dress leather shoes for work.

I have lived in the south but for me personally I'm finding myself spending much more on clothing out here.

But for the rest of the 6 months I agree the fashion is pretty paltry. Everyone out here wears gym shorts and a tee out in public, whereas everyone in the south wears khaki shorts, and a lot more polo shirts. But I think the summer clothes get worn out faster here because of all the outdoors activities, so people just don't have any reason to invest that type of money in the summer.

Last edited by nick4242; 06-06-2016 at 10:08 PM..

Old 06-06-2016, 10:29 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,036,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4242 View Post

Secondly, you need at least $300-500 worth of boots, including a REAL pair of hiking boots (not your average Timberlands), and then you also need another pair of hiking boots that are low-ankle for climbing areas like the Flatirons and rock climbing in the summer. And then add on your casual shoes and tennis shoes. Oh, and don't forget your snow boots.

In the south you only need 2 pairs of shoes, tennis shoes, and casual/dress leather shoes for work.
You are over complicating things. I use my hiking boots as snow boots. After all, it's casual here .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver