Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 11:54 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,868 times

Advertisements

With the growing, and seemingly endless, number of people who are squeezing into Denver, wouldn't it make sense to have a "new residents tax" or similar fee to pick up the increased burden on established Colorado citizens?
Our roads are congested worse than LA, housing is becoming a cutthroat competition, unemployment is skyrocketing along with food stamps and welfare applications.
I understand growth is good, but too much growth is becoming detrimental to the lifestyle of Coloradans, and we should all benefit from the sacrifices we make for the flood of newcomers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 12:53 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,194,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
With the growing, and seemingly endless, number of people who are squeezing into Denver, wouldn't it make sense to have a "new residents tax" or similar fee to pick up the increased burden on established Colorado citizens?
Our roads are congested worse than LA, housing is becoming a cutthroat competition, unemployment is skyrocketing along with food stamps and welfare applications.
I understand growth is good, but too much growth is becoming detrimental to the lifestyle of Coloradans, and we should all benefit from the sacrifices we make for the flood of newcomers.
I don't know about all that, but property taxes will and probably should rise due to high demand.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:12 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,569,209 times
Will give you the same response I did in your other thread....

Ummmmm. If you're trying to sell an idea, it might be helpful if you were being honest instead of making up stuff that is patently false.

- Traffic is not worse than LA. INRIX does a data driven traffic congestion study every year. LA is still the worst city in the United States. Denver isn't in the top 10. Our worst traffic corridor, I-25 from Colo Blvd to 88th Ave, is the 50th worst in the country. Los Angles has 21 traffic corridors that rank worse than that.
- Unemployment is not sky rocketing. Unemployment in Denver is down year over year.
- The idea that most new comers are leeches is inaccurate
- Food stamp money is 100% funded by the federal government so whether the recipients are in Denver, Los Angles, or Dallas, you are paying for them when you pay your federal taxes. As a result of this fact, the idea that increased food stamp applications are hurting local is not accurate, but I can't even find any data to support your assertion that food stamp applications are actually up to begin with.
- Housing costs are up. Builders need to build more houses.

Now, traffic is worse than it used to be, there are more people here, and housing costs are up. Would having a new resident fee be productive? I doubt it. I'm not even sure how you would implement such an idea. The people you are really trying to target with this probably don't file tax returns.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:56 AM

74 posts, read 85,122 times
Wow. I've never heard of a city taxing new residents before, People get taxed enough as it is yet you think they should get taxed even more? Sorry but that's a really stupid idea and potentially slippery slope to go down. Here's a better idea, how about Denver does something like raise property taxes, Starts building more housing developments instead of apartments or better yet tries to get the media to start adding the cons of Denver in its articles as well as its pros that way people can decide if its a place thats worth considering. look at how people view California now after half a century, People still move in droves but not like they used to. Whys that, people started to get wise to how expensive it was and all the cons it had instead of its pros. Thing is now people are leaving California and moving to other more affordable cities and turning them into California.

Do people know there's other great cities other that Denver? I know Denver has always been very popular but now its more or less a trend than anything, same with Austin. Look at how people talk about Colorado Springs, They always complain about the Religious people down there and how that is the biggest turn off and would never consider that city based off that or at least thats what they act like. Colorado Springs isn't even that bad.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:06 PM

214 posts, read 260,464 times
I wouldn't get overzealous with increasing infrastructure and building new housing... just because people are flocking here doesn't mean they are going to stay here. At some point the thrill of living in a new area will wear off and many of them will decide to move back home to be around grandchildren, aging parents, siblings, etc.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:51 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,868,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
I agree the traffic is not much better in Denver then the times I have been in Los Angeles.

Los Angeles has crowded freeways, except they have HOV Busway's in the area that are good for public transit and people driving with 4 people to a car.

Los Angeles seems to have much less traffic on it's side-roads then Denver from my experience.

It took half an hour on Colorado from I-25 to Colfax and there was no accident.

Housing is very competitive in Denver for sure and the prices are skyrocketing to what in my opinion is irrational levels.

I agree it is irrational on housing prices in Denver, but it is interesting to see much air can flow into this bubble.

Unemployment is not skyrocketing, if it was there would not be the level of in-migration to the state.

Denver Metro area has gained 290,000 jobs since 2010. That is the reason for the increased in-migration to the state.

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data.

I don't think Denver has seen skyrocketing food stamp or welfare use. The demographic moving to Denver tends to be people moving for jobs from very high cost of living cities.

The poverty rate in Denver has decreased rapidly recently.

I agree that the quality of life has gone way down though in Colorado in general. It is certainly not the friendly, hospitable and open-minded place it was in the 1990s.

The ultimate new resident tax is the extreme cost of apartments and houses compared to what the cost of housing was even 5 years ago.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:39 PM

74 posts, read 85,122 times
Wow. I've never heard of a city taxing new residents before, People get taxed enough as it is yet you think they should get taxed even more? Sorry but that's a really stupid idea and potentially slippery slope to go down. Here's a better idea, how about Denver does something like raise property taxes, Starts building more housing developments instead of apartments or better yet tries to the media to start adding the cons of Denver in its articles as well as its pros that way people can decide if its a place thats worth considering. look at how people view California now after half a century, People still move in droves but not like they used to. Whys that, people started to get wise to how expensive it was and all the cons it had instead of its pros. Thing is now people are leaving California and moving to other more affordable cities and turning them into California.

Do people know there's other great cities other that Denver? I know Denver has always been very popular but now its more or less a trend than anything, same with Austin. Look at how people talk about Colorado Springs, They always complain about the Religious people down there and how that is the biggest turn off and would never consider that city based off that or at least thats what they act like. Colorado Springs isn't even that bad.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:49 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,625,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jHolman91 View Post
Wow. I've never heard of a city taxing new residents before, People get taxed enough as it is yet you think they should get taxed even more? Sorry but that's a really stupid idea and potentially slippery slope to go down. Here's a better idea, how about Denver does something like raise property taxes, Starts building more housing developments instead of apartments or better yet tries to the media to start adding the cons of Denver in its articles as well as its pros that way people can decide if its a place thats worth considering. look at how people view California now after half a century, People still move in droves but not like they used to. Whys that, people started to get wise to how expensive it was and all the cons it had instead of its pros. Thing is now people are leaving California and moving to other more affordable cities and turning them into California.

When I think of Colorado Springs I don't think of religious people, I think of the military.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:52 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,868,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jHolman91 View Post
Here's a better idea, how about Denver does something like raise property taxes, Starts building more housing developments instead of apartments or better yet tries to the media to start adding the cons of Denver in its articles as well as its pros that way people can decide if its a place thats worth considering. look at how people view California now after half a century, People still move in droves but not like they used to. Whys that, people started to get wise to how expensive it was and all the cons it had instead of its pros. Thing is now people are leaving California and moving to other more affordable cities and turning them into California.

I think the problem with Colorado is so many love the state for some reason, but the major job growth is in Denver and Boulder.

For a vast majority of people who are fixated on moving to Colorado and finding a job all roads lead to Denver.

Fort Collins is a fairly low wage city compared to Denver with only slightly lower housing prices.

Colorado Springs has had some economic growth in the last year but overall it had a very long period between basically 2001 to 2014 when it had a very poorly performing economy.

Even with Colorado Springs recent growth spurt it has only gained 17,000 jobs in 10 years as opposed to Metro Denver which has gained 290,000 jobs since 2010

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/SMU08...a_tool=XGtable

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/SMU08...a_tool=XGtable

In general, many people are turned off when it comes to Colorado Springs. It isn't just the religious right , it is the mindset of city that alienates alot of people.

I personally thought Colorado Springs was a good city in the 1990s, now it's just a small, behind the times city falling further and further behind the big city an hour north.

Denver in general appeals to people from all over the political, social, income spectrum of society. Based on what I have seen on this forum Fort Collins is also very good at appealing to people from a wide range of spectrum also.

Colorado Springs on the other hand appeals to a narrow niche of mentality and that narrow niche is getting smaller and smaller. As the sprawl spreads more and more, the tiny areas that are considered more open-minded like Old Colorado City and Manitou are smaller and smaller.

Pueblo, Grand Junction and the rest of Colorado in general have a very weak economy now especially with the low commodity prices.

Overall, this means all roads lead to Denver when it comes to people who fixated on moving to Colorado and having decent job oppurtunities.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:09 AM

27 posts, read 26,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I agree that the quality of life has gone way down though in Colorado in general. It is certainly not the friendly, hospitable and open-minded place it was in the 1990s.

The ultimate new resident tax is the extreme cost of apartments and houses compared to what the cost of housing was even 5 years ago.
The EXTREME cost of apartments and houses is the new residence tax. I am floored about the prices for old worn out houses/apartments and how "high" the demand is. I'm not sure if its a weed movement but looking at house appreciation of 40-60K per year is amazing - good for them if they can get it but guess they are cashing out and moving away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver