Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 08:30 PM

5 posts, read 5,980 times

Advertisements

Hey all, my family and I are moving this fall for work from Flower Mound, TX (Dallas burb). Working around 120th and Colorado in Thornton, but may have some travel elsewhere. Wife telecommutes but may take local job in healthcare/insurance sector. We have a 2 preschoolers and one elementary school kid in 1st grade. Criteria for move (in order)

1 Safe neighborhood
2. Very good to great elementary schools
3. Very good to great daycare options
4. "Community" feel where kid friendly
5. Close to shopping hubs
6. My commute less than hour all year round (even in snowstorms)
7. Not feeling like we're in Kansas (more mature areas, hilly and/or some view of range)
8. Newer homes
9. Cultural access to downtown (either less than 30 min drive or lightrail) on occasion when we can get a babysitter.

Budget we'd like to be under $750K, 4 BR, 2 BA, at least 2800 SF. I heard NW Parkway is excellent for geting around city. That's about it! Thanks for everyone's advice.

Billybob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 10:00 PM

618 posts, read 1,366,762 times
Louisville or Lafayette. I would also consider Broomfield and West Arvada. Possibly Bradburn in Westminster. Any of these places can/will check all your boxes.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:12 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,637,451 times
Check out the homes in north Thornton around 136th Ave up to 144th Ave and Colorado Blvd, they can fit your price range. There isn't any light rail up north that leads to Denver ATM, but RTD will finish FasTracks in 2018 for the N line. Also, what the previous poster said, those are good areas to consider.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:30 AM

17,712 posts, read 29,834,812 times
BVSD - Louisville, Broomfield
JeffCo schools - Ralston Valley High and its feeder schools.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:03 AM

371 posts, read 494,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
BVSD - Louisville, Broomfield
JeffCo schools - Ralston Valley High and its feeder schools.
West Arvada to 120th and Colorado is a pretty brutal commute. You get 2 options:

1) Endless stop and go surface streets -- you'll be taking 80th to Wadsworth (awful) to either 92nd/Thornton Parkway (best option), Church Ranch/104th (horrible), or 120th (parts are OK, most are pretty bad) 10+ miles to Colorado (note that I am describing traffic, not neighborhoods!). Over 1 hour in a snowstorm.

2) Hopping onto I-70 at Ward, then I-76 to I-25, up to 120th, then another 3 mile slog on a busy part of 120th. This can be OK, depending on the hours you work, or it can be pretty rough. Certainly over 1 hour in a snowstorm.

Broomfield may be a better option. McKay or Bradburn. Only drawback is that light rail is quite a while away from hitting that area. However, they do have reasonably reliable Flatiron Flyer bus service 7 days a week that will get you downtown. You can pick it up at Broomfield station.

RTD

Old 07-10-2016, 11:17 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,056,569 times
There are way too many areas that click all your boxes to list them all. However I'll throw one out for you to consider.

McKay Landing.
Walk to Meridian elementary rated 9 in the middle of the neighborhood. Walk to Westlake Middle School rated 9. Walk to Legacy High School rated 8 that has nationally recognized band which has played in Macy's day parade and Rose bowl parade.
Community pool
Food truck night McKay Landing Owners Association > Community > Photos Of Our Community
Many other events throughout the year.

Children's Center playschool right at the community park/pool The Children's Center Preschool | Colorado's premier preschool for Broomfield and surrounding areas
Hope Montessori on 136th and Huron gets good reviews.
Hope Montessori Academy Broomfield

Example house.
2584 Quail Creek Dr, Broomfield, CO 80023 | MLS #793727 | Zillow

Walk to McKay Lake. Walk to King Sooper and a number of restaurants (Mexican, Chinese, Sushi, Pizza). Super close to Orchard Town Center, a very popular outdoor mall with many entertainment and dining options.

I took this picture this morning while walking around McKay Lake.

Picture of McKay Lake.

Last edited by mic111; 07-10-2016 at 11:40 AM..

Old 07-10-2016, 12:22 PM

56 posts, read 60,630 times
Firestone or Greeley for a large family looking to move to Denver. The 36 corridor is only 2 lanes each way and prone to 1+ hour delays so I think Weld County or in that vicinity would be the best option for a large family. Newer, safer, more land, nice community feel, not too expensive. i-25 is 4-6 lanes each way. Both i-25 and 36 can have delays but 36 is much worse with only 2 lanes.

The word phrase "2-lanes" isn't even in the vocabulary of most people who move here from elsewhere but people in Colorado love to underplan and under develop to keep people away.

Last edited by nick4242; 07-10-2016 at 12:32 PM..

Old 07-10-2016, 03:32 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4242 View Post
Firestone or Greeley for a large family looking to move to Denver....safer
Really? Safer than Louisville?

Firstone does not equal "Not feeling like we're in Kansas (more mature areas, hilly and/or some view of range)"

Greeley does not meet "Very good to great elementary schools"

Old 07-10-2016, 06:18 PM

5 posts, read 5,980 times
Thanks to everyone this is some great advice!! Couple more questions. How does north thornton, Stapleton and westminster fit into these criteria? Westminster is top of the list for us right now.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:41 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,056,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbthornton View Post
Thanks to everyone this is some great advice!! Couple more questions. How does north thornton, Stapleton and westminster fit into these criteria? Westminster is top of the list for us right now.
I can address Westminster and Thornton. They all fit just fine. If you buy in your indicated price range all else will fall into place. Your kids are guaranteed to get into the assigned school. However you can choice into other neighborhood schools if you don't feel it is a good fit or you can go to a charter school. The safest thing to do is buy into a neighborhood with schools you like.

Westminster is long and spread out, a byproduct of annexing commercial areas to increase the tax base. If you have a particular area you like, ask about it, and you can get direct feedback. Based on your list and price point I'm thinking you are targeting Bradburn?

Last edited by mic111; 07-10-2016 at 08:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver