Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 08:53 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Denver in the early 80s, more grit, blue collared jobs, less yuppies and Californicated.

You are pining for a time and place you never experienced. You're 31 years old. All you know about early 80s Denver is stuff you've heard or read about. May as well wish to be living in Ancient Rome.

It's hilarious honestly. How about me saying Denver was pretty perfect in June of 1995. Why can't it always be like that? It's pure fantasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 06:15 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
Downtown events marred by violence over weekend | FOX31 Denver

--------

I knew this was going to start becoming a problem. I experienced something very similar a couple weekends ago when my friends came to visit me. We were casually walking down the 16th Street Mall when one of these vagrants came up to me and started verbally assaulting me and following us. When we walked back down the mall later in the evening, the vagrant continued his barrage of insults towards me.

I am usually a pretty compassionate and understanding person. However, the homeless (vagrant) problem is out of control here, and it needs to be contained. Especially if this is how these people are going to start behaving. This is unacceptable.
Homeless and no bed at a shelter? Start a fight and get taken to jail for the night.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:04 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
That kind of thing does happen for the "benefits" ensuing.

While riding a bus that included a stop at the Jefferson County Taj Majal, which includes court functions, I overheard a bum telling a fellow bum that he got a free night in jail, with food and heat, because he deliberately got drunk and made a scene FOR THE PURPOSE OF GETTING SAID FREE LODGING AND MEALS. He was reading a newspaper (no doubt also free) and said this as casually as could be, and he said he had done it before.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:31 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
That kind of thing does happen for the "benefits" ensuing.

While riding a bus that included a stop at the Jefferson County Taj Majal, which includes court functions, I overheard a bum telling a fellow bum that he got a free night in jail, with food and heat, because he deliberately got drunk and made a scene FOR THE PURPOSE OF GETTING SAID FREE LODGING AND MEALS. He was reading a newspaper (no doubt also free) and said this as casually as could be, and he said he had done it before.
We just need to criminalize homelessness throw em all in prison and make them work. If we actually had the stones to do it the city would be very pleasant without having to trip over vagrants as you walk around.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:50 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
We just need to criminalize homelessness throw em all in prison and make them work. If we actually had the stones to do it the city would be very pleasant without having to trip over vagrants as you walk around.
Making them work is the missing piece. They do get thrown in jail sometimes but if that is seen as a reward, then the system needs to require work from these slackers. I mean work without pay, work that is done to pay back the costs of housing and feeding them. There is so much public works stuff that needs repair and not enough staff to do it, might as well get something back from the bums instead of letting them watch TV or, worse, providing them gyms for exercise! Right, so they can get strong enough to strangle people or overcome women they rape, yeah, what a great use of tax dollars.

This applies everywhere, not just Denver. The US needs to grow a backbone and make it more difficult for criminals and bums to exist, not easier.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Making them work is the missing piece. They do get thrown in jail sometimes but if that is seen as a reward, then the system needs to require work from these slackers. I mean work without pay, work that is done to pay back the costs of housing and feeding them. There is so much public works stuff that needs repair and not enough staff to do it, might as well get something back from the bums instead of letting them watch TV or, worse, providing them gyms for exercise! Right, so they can get strong enough to strangle people or overcome women they rape, yeah, what a great use of tax dollars.

This applies everywhere, not just Denver. The US needs to grow a backbone and make it more difficult for criminals and bums to exist, not easier.
Well said when I said put them to work I meant in the context of the prison system. Have it be done for no pay make the experience of being locked up miserable it SHOULD NOT be a vacation!

Old 06-25-2016, 11:54 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
We just need to criminalize homelessness throw em all in prison
1. Prison means sentences longer than 1 year. Are you serious?
2. Close to 50% of homeless people are mentally ill. So you would send people to prison for being crazy?

Old 06-25-2016, 12:02 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Denver in the early 80s, more grit, blue collared jobs, less yuppies and Californicated.

You must really dislike us Californians.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Prison means sentences longer than 1 year. Are you serious?
2. Close to 50% of homeless people are mentally ill. So you would send people to prison for being crazy?
If they won't contribute voluntarily there needs to be some pressure applied no free rides.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:27 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
You must really dislike us Californians.
Nothing new. Former Californians and Texans have been convenient scapegoats for decades, but best not go on too long about that less the anti-transplant brigade's ears start burning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver