Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 09:05 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Anyone who spent much time in downtown Denver in the 1980's remembers the scores of homeless punk rocker teens hanging around the mall and Writer Square; think Hollywood Skid Kids .They would hang out around some of the old school places like Calvins (pool hall). The rave scene brought out a fair number of drifters between the true underground ground clubs (not the poser scene that followed) between Denver and Boulder. Between the last of the real hippies, rainbow people, punk rockers, there was some serious panhandling
For the record, the punk rock scene in Denver was very impressive in the 1980s, but most of those kids were not homeless. In the daytime maybe about 50 of them would hang out in Skyline Park near 16th and Arapahoe. Some of them were high school dropouts, and some of them were just ditching school. Then after school, all the suburban kids would take the bus Downtown, and the numbers would swell to probably 200 or 300, and they would hangout into the evening. By 10PM the numbers would be down to a couple of dozen. By that time most of the kids had gone home, to go to bed. I don’t know how many actually stayed in the park over night, but i think it was a very small number. The police mostly ignored them, as long as they stayed in the park and didn’t cause any trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 06:56 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
For the record, the punk rock scene in Denver was very impressive in the 1980s, but most of those kids were not homeless. In the daytime maybe about 50 of them would hang out in Skyline Park near 16th and Arapahoe. Some of them were high school dropouts, and some of them were just ditching school. Then after school, all the suburban kids would take the bus Downtown, and the numbers would swell to probably 200 or 300, and they would hangout into the evening. By 10PM the numbers would be down to a couple of dozen. By that time most of the kids had gone home, to go to bed. I don’t know how many actually stayed in the park over night, but i think it was a very small number. The police mostly ignored them, as long as they stayed in the park and didn’t cause any trouble.
Skyline Park is the place I was trying to think of where those teenage punk posers hung out They.used to play sound loops of strange sound effects from under the street. The real homeless rockers I knew hung down by the old 23 Parrish circa 1980-1984.
I agree Denver had a great punk scene,,Boulder was pretty decent too..I saw tons of shows at The Blue Note, Boulder ' s Coast..When I referenced posers I was referring to that scene after the early to mid 80's.
Anyway more on. topic, I have never seen this level of homeless in the metro with camps even in Golden, Lakewood,Littleton hard core panhandling. Starting to look a lot more like West Coast cities in that regard .

Last edited by Scott5280; 06-29-2016 at 07:18 AM..

Old 06-29-2016, 07:21 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
It's one thing to have a lot of homeless and crazies around downtown, that's every big city in America. But it's another thing to where people don't feel safe. that's not okay. Whatever the city of Denver has to do to clean up the 16th street mall, I'm all for it. Even if it means hurting homeless people's feelings.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:51 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,863,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
It's one thing to have a lot of homeless and crazies around downtown, that's every big city in America. But it's another thing to where people don't feel safe. that's not okay. Whatever the city of Denver has to do to clean up the 16th street mall, I'm all for it. Even if it means hurting homeless people's feelings.
They will just go to another area.

The jails are overcrowded so they can't really do much on that end. The police can arrest all they want but they will likely be released the same day and back in the same area.

It just doesn't seem bad to me in Denver. It seemed worse in 2010, it's likely a bigger issue then historically but I don't notice it as much when I am down there.

Salt Lake City and Las Vegas seem to be at more of a breaking point from my experience then Denver.

Denver is really, really good at keeping bad behavior at bay compared to most cities, especially in the public eye.

I heavily doubt a desperate homeless person really cares want visitors, residents, workers and the police think. They feel isolated from society largess so they don't really care if people feel uncomfortable.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:31 PM
SQL SQL started this thread

1,337 posts, read 1,193,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

It just doesn't seem bad to me in Denver. It seemed worse in 2010, it's likely a bigger issue then historically but I don't notice it as much when I am down there.
Trust me, it was bad. I don't know how much time some of you people spend downtown (it really doesn't sound like much), but I have noticed a significant change in atmosphere since I moved here in 2008. It was definitely getting worse.

I actually thought to myself how clean and clear the Cherry Creek bike path looked this morning on my commute in. The coppers must have cleared it out, because I didn't see a single vagrant at all.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:29 PM

135 posts, read 153,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
Trust me, it was bad. I don't know how much time some of you people spend downtown (it really doesn't sound like much), but I have noticed a significant change in atmosphere since I moved here in 2008. It was definitely getting worse.

I actually thought to myself how clean and clear the Cherry Creek bike path looked this morning on my commute in. The coppers must have cleared it out, because I didn't see a single vagrant at all.
It flooded last night too.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:09 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
Another attack on 16th street mall.
Video shows man violently attacking people on 16th Street Mall | FOX31 Denver

Old 06-29-2016, 09:24 PM

977 posts, read 1,328,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Attack? More like hoodlum street brawl.

The police and additional security making like miserable for these lowlifes can't come soon enough.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:31 PM

92 posts, read 98,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr1995 View Post
It flooded last night too.
They were still out in force between 13th and where the trail splits into bike/pedestrian today. It's been the worst I've seen on the trail in the 3 years I've been commuting daily on it.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:01 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
They put dogs down for less. Just saying.

16th street mall sucks. Its a tourist trap full of idiots and bums. There are some decent spots around Denver but the city itself....not sure what the big deal is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver