Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 02:25 PM

16 posts, read 16,597 times

Advertisements

Hi Denverites (is that the right term?),

My brothers and I from Minneapolis and Atlanta have been going to a new major city for a baseball/drinking beer type trip for the last 7 years or so and this year it's Denver. I'm the planner.

I'm looking for a few centrally located areas we could bar crawl relatively easily (think walk around and there are a number of places around without having to look things up on a smartphone).

The style I'm looking for would be dive bar with character.....than douchebag dive bar or Applebees frat boy type bar. Looking for unique without being pretentious. Cool people just having fun. Jukebox, live music etc...places ok. So I guess I'm wondering what those areas are in Denver.... I know I could list them in Minneapolis but can't seem to get a handle on it in Denver. Also we are closer to 40 so we know we'll be the old guys in most places.... but would like to avoid the places the early 20 somethings go.

Thanks in advance...looking forward to seeing your fine city.

Lou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 02:30 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
If you are planning to come out for a ballgame then you pretty much don't have to leave the area around the ballpark. There are a ton of bars there. That area is called Lower Downtown or LoDo for short.

Here is a link to get you started: Denver Bars | LoDo Bar | Bars In LoDo | LoDo Bar | Bar In LoDo

Old 07-06-2016, 02:37 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
LoDo is right where you will be, but I would recommend also checking out Tennyson St in Berkeley and 32nd Ave Highland neighborhood (not to be confused with Highlands Ranch). Both are very short uber rides from LoDo.if you are in to cocktails, Williams & Graham is one of the best mixology bars in the world by several publications and best bar in America by Spirited Awards.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:33 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,192,844 times
Baker Neighborhood on South Broadway.

There are a good mix of bars and breweries on the Broadway strip. Hit up Fat Sully's (NY pizza by the slice) or Illegal Pete's (great burritos/TexMex) for late night munchies.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:14 PM

556 posts, read 1,199,720 times
I would start in the ballpark neighborhood and work your way north. There are lots of good bars with character especially when you get a bit further away from lodo. Off the top of my head- falling rock, el chapultetec, star bar, great divide, larimer lounge are all a few blocks away from each other and would make for a good bar crawl.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:07 AM

All good advice. Everyone. Thank you. This gives me a few options. Is there any one specific place that is unique or a classic in Denver that I should make sure to hit?

Old 07-07-2016, 07:09 AM

Also SQL...how did you know we always are looking for NY Style pizza? We'll check that out for sure. It's almost impossible to get a good NY slice in Minneapolis.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:09 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLSMINN View Post
All good advice. Everyone. Thank you. This gives me a few options. Is there any one specific place that is unique or a classic in Denver that I should make sure to hit?
The thing we do better than just about any other city is brew great beer.

River North (RiNo) is home to the most dense concentration of breweries and is just a few minutes from Ballpark neighborhood. It could be fun to brewery hop instead of just bar hopping.

http://www.denverpost.com/2015/02/16...wing-district/

Last edited by SkyDog77; 07-07-2016 at 08:20 AM..

Old 07-07-2016, 11:32 AM

369 posts, read 966,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLSMINN View Post
Some classics: My Brother's Bar, El Chapultepec, Buckhorn Exchange (down south a bit, take light rail or uber/lyft for this one), Cruise Room at the Oxford, Terminal Bar at Union Station (new place in newly renovated Union Station)...

Wynkoop Brewery and Restaurant is just down the street from Coors Field and is the Grandaddy of LoDo, so it's usually worth a stop. Up on the fourth floor they have pool, foosball, shuffleboard, and darts, so that's kind of cool. The Cruise Room is just down the street from there...Union Station is right there too and has a great bar with shuffleboard, it's fun to hang out and watch all the people.

But really, our Breweries are the big thing. Some favs are: Great Divide, Denver Beer Company, & Prost. Great Divide's new facility on Brighton is right across the street from The Source, which has some cool places to eat and Crooked Stave Brewing, and Great Divide is kitty-corner to Mockery Brewery. Denver Beer Company is on Platte Street, which has a bunch of cool stuff - including My Brother's Bar, and has a foot bridge over I25 to Lower Highlands with Amatos Alehouse at the other side of the footbridge. Prost is just down the block from the footbridge in Lower Highlands and right across the street from Avanti, which is a incubator for restaurants made out of shipping containers.

Oh, and Biker Jim's dogs is classic and definitely worth a visit - think delicious sausages made out of exotic meats. Get "the usual" toppings of caramelized onions and cream cheese - sounds weird but so tasty.

In terms of NY Pizza, I'd go with Two Fisted Mario's on Market or Anthony's on 16th near Wynkoop. I have family from New Jersey that swear by Anthony's, but some folks don't like it...

Old 07-07-2016, 03:00 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The thing we do better than just about any other city is brew great beer.

River North (RiNo) is home to the most dense concentration of breweries and is just a few minutes from Ballpark neighborhood. It could be fun to brewery hop instead of just bar hopping.

Denver’s River North neighborhood: the brewing district – The Denver Post
This. You can't go wrong if you like really good beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver