Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 10,218 times

Advertisements

I've found it really hard to find professional work in Denver. I have experience and training in engineering, I did well in school (and have grad degrees from top schools, even) with skills across a spectrum of what employers usually look for in engineering types. I have sent out like 50 resumes over the past 1.5 years. I have gotten like 3 calls. And then, when I follow up, it's like they'd never heard of me. Or, they say they will get back to me, and never do. I've even talked with recruiters that were out and out rude or not very aware of basics in the engineering field OR regarding the companies they were working to place someone with. I have to say I've never seen such unprofessional behavior from employers and HR people in living all over the country. I don't know if it's Denver, me, or the times. I have had luck finding good things in the past, so it seems like the "me" part may not be it. But, who knows? Luckily I have a job now. But maybe not for much longer. To be honest, it seems like the job market is really bad and has been for a year or two, at least, in the area...at least for engineers that are not interested in drilling for oil or natural gas! (only types of work I'm seeing out there any more for engineers) I sometimes think the labor department tweaks the statistics so it doesn't look as bad as it is.

I sort of get the impression it might be more about whether you "fit in" rather than whether you "can do the job well" here than it is elsewhere. And if you're not "in" with people, they don't necessarily even give you the time of day.

Does anyone have any hard and updated info concerning the unemployment rate for various engineering fields in Denver?

Anyone with any info on engineering jobs?

I already check a bunch of online boards and some of the larger outfits in the area regularly...

Last edited by scalar; 06-12-2008 at 04:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 05:22 PM

249 posts, read 1,029,706 times
Katysalsa, congrats on your job! That's a great start - now you can keep looking for the job of your dreams WHILE paying the bills Any lessons you learned for the others looking? Where did you find the job posting?

Old 06-12-2008, 08:14 PM

380 posts, read 1,228,133 times
Be careful if you look in the advertizing and marketing field. So far I have found two different firms that say they have many big name clients. They offer $35000 plus a year, benifits, and so on. Both of them turned out to be nothing but door to door comission based jobs. I have found researching companies very important around here. I have never experianced companies that flat out lie about who they are and the jobs they are offering before. Very sad.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:19 PM

152 posts, read 617,751 times
Default Jobs

Unfortunately I don't have tips that you probably havn't heard before. I found my job through craig's list, but the job I landed was the one and only job I got a call back on, and my one and only interview. Talk about pressure. I honestly think I just got lucky. Craig's list is such a crap shoot and 1/2 the postings are fake jobs or jobs no one would want. I guess my only tip would be try to find smaller companies. Less competition maybe for the position and also contact companies even if they don't have any jobs posted. Sometimes you can get it even before they've released it to the public. Other than that, I think most of it is just luck. I know that's not what anyone wants to hear, but that's what I think.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:08 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
A good friend of mine has been in Denver since the beginning of the year and still has not found a job. He's now resorting to manual labor, which is frustrating because he moved to Denver after earning his master's degree. I just think there is alot of it going around.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:21 PM

195 posts, read 794,143 times
Default Part-time

I think it is important to consider part-time positions that are relative to the eventual full-time position that you want. The only reason I was ever considered for my current full-time position was due to my part-time experience. Heck, volunteer or intern if you have to to show people how wonderful you are.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:29 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csqui523 View Post
I, too, am starting to get concerned about the job search. We are moving to Denver without a job because we were told that no one will hire you if you are out of state. My husband is moving in the middle of March and I am following with our 9 month old in May. We were expecting that he could get a job quickly, but it looks like that might be an incorrect assumption. We are both accountants. Does anyone know if it is still difficult for accountants to find jobs in Denver?
May I ask why you (and others on this thread) are moving to Colorado without lining up employment first? Unless you're financially independent, it seems pretty risky to me.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:51 AM

152 posts, read 617,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
May I ask why you (and others on this thread) are moving to Colorado without lining up employment first? Unless you're financially independent, it seems pretty risky to me.

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I didn't have something lined up because my husband was transfered out and we only had 4 weeks to pack and move. Furthermore, it's not easy to find a job with an out of state address. It's hard to be taken seriously with out a permenent address in CO.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katysalsa View Post
Well, I can only speak for myself, but I didn't have something lined up because my husband was transfered out and we only had 4 weeks to pack and move. Furthermore, it's not easy to find a job with an out of state address. It's hard to be taken seriously with out a permenent address in CO.
So in your case you did have a source of income, your husband's. That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the folks who move here sight unseen, with no source of income, and no savings. There is some rule of thumb which I forget the specifics of, about how many months a job search will take for every 10K of income desired.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:01 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
The way I found my job was by looking at my field and related companies on the web. For example, I searched "Denver" "downtown" "law firms" and came up with tons. Then I went to each individual firm and looked for a job section.

These days, lots of profitable firms have their own websites and announce jobs you won't find anywhere else. This worked for friends of mine in other fields, including engineering, IT, and accounting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver