Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 07:48 PM

8,234 posts, read 13,321,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanaMandamom View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to throw out there that I talked to my hubby about the Mailboxes Etc or wherever for your resume and he said it could definately hurt you even if you get an interview. He has come accross it when interviewing applicants and it pissed off management that they bs'd their way in. Yah, they got the interview but not the job.
That is not lying, you are neither here nor there. It is not like that asked you that is it was your real address or not, besides you could say you are in the middle of your 'move', they can not dispute that nor would that be lying exactly.
If a management is getting 'pissed off' about such a thing, then chances are, it is not that great of a place to work at anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 10:38 AM

111 posts, read 391,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
That is not lying, you are neither here nor there. It is not like that asked you that is it was your real address or not, besides you could say you are in the middle of your 'move', they can not dispute that nor would that be lying exactly.
If a management is getting 'pissed off' about such a thing, then chances are, it is not that great of a place to work at anyhow.
I don't know, take the chance if you want I suppose but it isn't truthful, you have to be living somewhere so you have to be either here or there. They would definately wonder what you may alter/lie about (whatever you want to call it) if they did hire you. His company just found it shifty and didn't want that person.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:19 PM

8,234 posts, read 13,321,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanaMandamom View Post
I don't know, take the chance if you want I suppose but it isn't truthful, you have to be living somewhere so you have to be either here or there. They would definately wonder what you may alter/lie about (whatever you want to call it) if they did hire you. His company just found it shifty and didn't want that person.
Almost every company I worked for lied and/or exaggerated certain facts about themselves of the jobs anyhow so it is kind of silly that a company would find it a deal-breaker after they declared having interest in the candidate.
Again, you gotta do what you gotta to get the job, you are not saying you lived there but just giving them a mailing address so I do not know what that is even 'shifty'?
I am not crazy about doing things like that but would you rather move without finding a job or having any leads? In my field, no company pays for relocation nor do they even look at your resume again if they found out that you are not a local candidate, is that fair? If so, how does a person supposed to find a job in a remote location?
My first job in Phoenix, during the phone interview, they asked me where I was living, at that point I didn't lie because they could see the area code of my phone (which I could have lied and said I kept the same number after moving for various reasons), I told them I was in the middle of my move as we spoke and gave them a specific very near future date when I would be there and they were OK with it.
The whole point I am trying to make is that find a way so they don't dismiss your application without you having a fighting chance first, get a phone interview and see if they like you and vice versa, afterwards, they company may not even care if you are not in town yet and go ahead and schedule an in-person interview to a date when you will be (assuming you would be in town in a week because a company that has interest in you would likely to see you in person asap).
Finding/accepting a job, any job just to have a job to pay the bills and then looking for a better job after you moved is another option but I don't like that at all. Why? because, even if you had the time to look for a job and get callbacks, setting up phone interviews and more so in-person interviews would be much harder. Also I hate changing jobs unless I really have to, the application process and being the new guy at a place is usually not a lot of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver