Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 09:49 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty-Mill View Post
Until everyone is carpooling and public transportation is at full capacity Denver doesn't need expensive infrastructure improvements. We don't need to spend billions and billions of dollars so people can sleep in 30 minutes later and drive to work in their Audi.
What are you talking about? Our highway system and roadway system are a joke. Public transit is a great supplement, but it hardly serves the needs of most people in the metro area. Meanwhile, there are major arteries throughout the city that are too narrow and crumbling (Evans, Parker/Leetsdale). There are literally no public highways or wide avenues that serve the eastern part of the metro.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:52 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
Well, if you hate tax money being spent on public projects, that's when it's time to move out to the boonies where services/amenities are minimal as well as tax rates. The metro area is in severe need of improved infrastructure. Maybe I haven't been here as long as you, but I still a tax payer now, and I have as much say on this as you.
Well no, it's us who should have moved somewhere else if we didn't agree with TABOR. It was there before most of us lived here. So you move somewhere and immediately go about wanting to change the way things are and then we wonder why there is such resentment from natives. This is coming from another recent transplant.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:54 AM

268 posts, read 345,020 times
Perfect reply thank you!!

PERFECT!!

Old 07-22-2016, 09:56 AM
SQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Well no, it's us who should have moved somewhere else if we didn't agree with TABOR. It was there before most of us lived here. So you move somewhere and immediately go about wanting to change the way things are and then we wonder why there is such resentment from natives. This is coming from another recent transplant.
There are plenty of natives here complaining about TABOR. Maybe you should read through the thread before you attack me. It wasn't even me who brought up TABOR; it was LONG TERM natives who did. Also, I've lived here for nearly a decade.

But if that's what is obstructing progress in a rapidly growing city, then perhaps it needs to be re-evaluated. I bet slave owners in the south didn't like it when the Yanks told them that their slave laws were immoral. Sometimes you acknowledge that pre-existing laws are not very good and they need to be changed.

Last edited by SQL; 07-22-2016 at 11:02 AM..

Old 07-22-2016, 09:59 AM
SQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCurtisEstes View Post
Perfect reply thank you!!

PERFECT!!
Going by your post history, you don't even live or work in Denver. So I'm not really sure how this is relevant to you. On the other hand, I pay property, sales, PIF, and income taxes here.

Last edited by SQL; 07-22-2016 at 10:08 AM..

Old 07-22-2016, 10:09 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
What are you talking about? Our highway system and roadway system are a joke. Public transit is a great supplement, but it hardly serves the needs of most people in the metro area. Meanwhile, there are major arteries throughout the city that are too narrow and crumbling (Evans, Parker/Leetsdale). There are literally no public highways or wide avenues that serve the eastern part of the metro.
Denver has above average public transit as in buses, light rail, bike trails etc. When it comes to the quality of roads, the capacity to handle traffic, the amount of highways and freeways which I put emphasis on, I would rank them below average. What CDOT should do/could have done in my opinion that would help alleviate traffic if they had the proper amount of funds, I would estimate at least $50 billion.

- Widen I-25 between Castle Rock and Monument to 8 lanes.
- Remove the toll lanes from south/northbound from 58th Ave to 20th Ave.
- Increase the speed limit on I-25 from 55mph to 65mph from 104th Ave to Broadway St. in Denver.
- Widen I-25 northbound from US36 to Longmont, 10 lanes. CDOT did a half-arse job just adding in toll lanes from US36 to 120th Ave.
- Widen I-25 from Colorado Springs to Pueblo to 6 lanes.
- Widen I-25 from Longmont to WY border to 8 lanes. HOV on inside left lanes (non-toll)
- Widen I-270 to 10 lanes
- Widen westbound I-70 from I-25 to C470 to 10 lanes.
- Widen I-76 from I-25 to I-70, 6 lanes.
- I-70 eastbound from I-25 to Colorado Blvd will be worked on starting in 2017. Viaduct will be removed and replaced below grade.
- Widen C470 to 10 lanes.
- Widen US 36 to 10 lanes.
- 6th Ave east of I-25 to I-225 should have been a non-stop freeway before homes were constructed around it through Aurora during the 1960s. There are no east to west freeways between I-70 and I-225.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:12 AM

268 posts, read 345,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Denver has above average public transit as in buses, light rail, bike trails etc. When it comes to the quality of roads, the capacity to handle traffic, the amount of highways and freeways which I put emphasis on, I would rank them below average. What CDOT should do/could have done if they had the proper amount of funds.

- Widen I-25 between Castle Rock and Monument to 8 lanes.
- Widen I-25 northbound from US36 to Longmont, 10 lanes. CDOT did a half-arse job just adding in toll lanes from US36 to 120th Ave.
- Widen I-25 from Colorado Springs to Pueblo to 6 lanes.
- Widen I-25 from Longmont to WY border to 8 lanes. HOV on inside left lanes (non-toll)
- Widen I-270 to 10 lanes
- Widen westbound I-70 from I-25 to C470 to 10 lanes.
- Widen I-76 from I-25 to I-70, 6 lanes.
- I-70 eastbound from I-25 to Colorado Blvd will be worked on starting in 2017. Viaduct will be removed and replaced below grade.
- Widen C470 to 10 lanes.
- Widen US 36 to 10 lanes.
- 6th Ave east of I-25 to I-225 should have been a non-stop freeway before homes were constructed around it through Aurora during the 1960s. There are no east to west freeways between I-70 and I-225.

A fancy monorail to Vail may be cheaper than this.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:12 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty-Mill View Post
Until everyone is carpooling and public transportation is at full capacity Denver doesn't need expensive infrastructure improvements. We don't need to spend billions and billions of dollars so people can sleep in 30 minutes later and drive to work in their Audi.
You've faithfully bought into the madness. That's exactly the type of thinking that the goverment officials want for the obedient and subservient masses.

No, for one thing, that's a pipe dream to expect "everyone" to carpool. It's never going to happen, and it shouldn't happen. Maybe forcing people into carpools and onto public transportation is the way to in communist countries, but this is America. America loves cars. Besides, we pay enough for them, we should be able to use them.

Being able to sleep in even 30 addition minutes is not a ridiculous or trivial matter; even that would add value to everyone's life. Since there are on average 5 work days a week, and 52 weeks in a year, adding 1 hour (30 minutes both ways) would add 260 hours of additional non-drive time to each our lives a year. That would be like adding almost 11 days of free time to your life each year! In ten years, that would be 110 extra days. Economically we benefit too. Companies are able to process matters quicker and more timely, less gas is consumed and wasted, etc. So this helps everyone - no matter what kind of vehicle you drive - and, helps business and economics.

Instead thinking like the inept and dysfunctional government officials, and siding with the few who don't give a damn about improvements and adding quality to our lives, you need to start thinking about the big picture. As stated before, this is a non-issue in most states and cities. If you look at other cities, expansions are done naturally with growth, usually without any fanfare or hassle. But in CO and Denver, people have bought into the nonsense for so long that the necessary improvements and upgrades continue to not happen.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 07-22-2016 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-22-2016, 01:52 PM

74 posts, read 85,067 times
I see all these posts about infrastructure needing this or that, which is true but yet I see no mention of the housing shortage along with why is there no new suburbs being built, only apartments? Apartments are supposed to be temporary yet thats pretty much all thats being built in denver outside of high dollar homes that most people cant afford. And how did this stray from Denvers appeal to millenials? Id like to get back to THAT coversation.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:39 PM

369 posts, read 966,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jHolman91 View Post
I see all these posts about infrastructure needing this or that, which is true but yet I see no mention of the housing shortage along with why is there no new suburbs being built, only apartments? Apartments are supposed to be temporary yet thats pretty much all thats being built in denver outside of high dollar homes that most people cant afford. And how did this stray from Denvers appeal to millenials? Id like to get back to THAT coversation.
Where would the city of Denver create a new suburb?

Also, not everyone thinks apartments are temporary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver