Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 07:31 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,127,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karma123 View Post
if you find such a neighborhood anywhere in Colorado , please let me know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Mine and several others in Louisville.
Mine and many of the neighborhoods within Stapleton as well. And I know areas in Park Hill that are the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 08:38 AM

618 posts, read 1,362,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Mine and many of the neighborhoods within Stapleton as well. And I know areas in Park Hill that are the same way.
Yep. I know almost every person (children included) that lives on my block and across the alley from our block in Stapleton. We have an annual block party at the park and often have impromptu gatherings.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:38 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,507,398 times
Quote:
Wash Park. We are out on our front porches with the neighborhood kids running around almost every night. Parents sitting in lawn chairs together drinking a beer or glass of wine. We do a pretty good job of this, but Stapleton puts us to shame if this is what you're after.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:46 AM

5,531 posts, read 12,624,751 times
Quote:
My old neighborhood in Centennial.

My new neighborhood in Buena Vista.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:59 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,589,666 times
Quote:
My street in Highlands Ranch. We sit out with the kids and have been known to take in an adult beverage or two.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:17 PM

7 posts, read 12,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
Yep. I know almost every person (children included) that lives on my block and across the alley from our block in Stapleton. We have an annual block party at the park and often have impromptu gatherings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Wash Park. We are out on our front porches with the neighborhood kids running around almost every night. Parents sitting in lawn chairs together drinking a beer or glass of wine. We do a pretty good job of this, but Stapleton puts us to shame if this is what you're after.

thanks for the replies. need some help on ** Stapleton ** [ heard a lot about it :-) ]

Are there any specific neighborhoods in Stapleton which are better than others? I really liked some of the homes @ Stapleton , specially the concept of common courtyard or playground. How is the diversity?

I was a bit confused on the Stapleton Schools -- as "Redfin", "Zillow" did not specifically state the Elementary school serving the house.
-- which schools serve the stapleton area (elementary,middle,high) and how are they rated ?
-- are there any charter/magnet schools where the kids can apply to ( similar to Challenge and Cherry Creek Academy in CCSD)

I have 2 toddlers, elder one goes to preschool in CCSD, will start kindergarten in 2018. I have been in Denver for 5 years but only stayed in the Cherry Creek school district and hence do not have much info on other school districts -- so please pardon my ignorance.

Regarding homes -- we are mainly looking at < 450k range. Lower the better. We do not require a huge home or backyard as long as kids can walk safely to a playground.

Currently, in our gated apartment complex -- we have a great community feeling -- where kids and parents gather at the centrally located play area and our kids really look forward to this everyday as they love playing with their friends ( not necessarily their same age ).

We have some friends near Aurora reservoir area -- very nice homes -- but they always keep complaining about the lack of any community activity or interaction

Old 08-01-2016, 12:35 PM

7 posts, read 12,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
My street in Highlands Ranch. We sit out with the kids and have been known to take in an adult beverage or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
My old neighborhood in Centennial.

My new neighborhood in Buena Vista.

thank you for the reply. Any specific sub-area within Centennial and Highlands Ranch which are more popular with parents with elementary/middle school going kids ?

Old 08-01-2016, 12:48 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,127,107 times
Quote:
thanks for the replies. need some help on ** Stapleton ** [ heard a lot about it :-) ]

Are there any specific neighborhoods in Stapleton which are better than others? I really liked some of the homes @ Stapleton , specially the concept of common courtyard or playground. How is the diversity?

I was a bit confused on the Stapleton Schools -- as "Redfin", "Zillow" did not specifically state the Elementary school serving the house.
-- which schools serve the stapleton area (elementary,middle,high) and how are they rated ?
-- are there any charter/magnet schools where the kids can apply to ( similar to Challenge and Cherry Creek Academy in CCSD)

I have 2 toddlers, elder one goes to preschool in CCSD, will start kindergarten in 2018. I have been in Denver for 5 years but only stayed in the Cherry Creek school district and hence do not have much info on other school districts -- so please pardon my ignorance.
Stapleton has enrollment zones. So rather than being assigned to a specific school based on proximity to your house, you go through the Denver Public School (DPS) choice process and rank the schools in order of preference. There are I think 6 elementaries now (they have been building new ones to keep up with the expanding population). Many people just go with the closest one anyway, and they are all considered very good. But since there is some variation in academic approach and philosophy, some families feel strongly about being able to select the school they feel is the right fit for their family.

Middle school is the same thing - the zone extends outside of Stapleton and includes Greater Park Hill as well, but you go through the same choice process of selecting the school you want. Again, all 5 are considered very good schools.

Some kids don't get their first choice school but from what I've heard, the vast majority do get their top pick, either during the initial process or they get off the wait list for their first choice by the time school starts. You can also try to choice into any other schools in DPS, both magnets and charters, although magnets such as the Denver School of the Arts and some of the GT schools have other admissions requirements such as testing or auditions.

For ECE, it's a bit harder because there just aren't enough spots to go around. So most people are happy to get any spot at all, even if it's not their first choice. But there are plenty of private pre-K programs around too.

High School, the new Northfield HS opened up this past year, and that's the zoned school for the area. However, you can still go through the DPS choice process and try for another school such as East HS - no guarantees on getting in because it's very popular. There are also the DSST schools, that's the Denver School of Science and Technology. That's a network of charter schools and there is currently a high school in South Stapleton and a second one opening up next year in Conservatory Green in North Stapleton. If your child goes to a DSST middle school, then they can continue into the associated high school and you don't have to worry about not getting a seat.

I know that's a lot of info, please let me know if you have any specific questions. There are several of us posting here who live or have lived in Stapleton.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:52 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,589,666 times
Quote:
thank you for the reply. Any specific sub-area within Centennial and Highlands Ranch which are more popular with parents with elementary/middle school going kids ?
I would say the entire community of Highlands Ranch. The only problem with HR is the school district. There is a lot going on with it and more change can be expected in the next year or so.

Here is a good thread to go through about the DCSD: //www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ool-board.html

Old 08-01-2016, 03:33 PM

369 posts, read 964,751 times
Quote:
Wellshire/University (Slavens K-8) in Denver proper is very friendly and social - regular block/street/house parties, kids playing out in the yards, community events, great K-8 school, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver