Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 12:52 PM

5 posts, read 4,631 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My husband and I moved here from Houston due to a job transfer and so far we love it! I know the snow will be bad, but it's better than 110+ heat all summer And the lack of traffic/better drivers is great! I don't feel like I'm gonna die every 3 seconds on the highway.

What hiking/walking spots would you all suggest going to first? I'm experienced but my husband is not so anything from intro to strenuous are okay. Dogs allowed is a definite plus! (although I've noticed that dogs are pretty much allowed anywhere vs. cats are barely allowed in rentals).

Any suggestions on a good burger joint? I've looked at Yelp but it never hurts to ask

Another question but not one easy to answer, I know!
My family (mom and siblings) are planning to follow us here soon, but my mom is having problems finding housing. I know the market is completely insane and out of control. Is there anywhere worth looking for an 1 bed apt/studio for under $800 a month that doesn't require 3x rent income? She's been looking every day for new rentals but she doesn't make that much where she is now (tiny Texas town). They are completely miserable where they are now and my mom wants to live closer to me (stability etc). Should they look in Colorado Springs instead or some other city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 01:02 PM

8,611 posts, read 14,925,729 times
What part of town are you in? Hiking suggestions will depend on that. Down here on the flat I personally enjoy hiking Castlewood Canyon State Park, but it's south of Parker and will be a long drive from anywhere north or west of downtown.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:15 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,952,207 times
North of town...

Golden Gate State Park- Stop at the visitors center and ask a Ranger for specifics.

Chatauqua (Boulder)- Nice meadow to start. Royal Arch or Green Mt are tough climbs, but the views are worth it.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:16 PM

698 posts, read 2,049,331 times
Roxborough State Park is really awesome, it's in Littleton. Doesn't allow dogs though.

Fowler trail in Eldorado State Park, south of Boulder. Parking is difficult, so if you have a day free on a non weekend, that's a good time to go.

South Mesa trail is really awesome and that's just before Eldorado State Park, is part of the Boulder County.

There are tons more, Denver/Boulder is really great for hiking. Here's some websites I use to find new trails:

Day Hikes Near Denver - Explore The Best Hikes In Colorado

Go Hike Colorado: Davidson Mesa Open Space, City of Louisville

https://bouldercolorado.gov/osmp/trails-and-maps

Old 08-04-2016, 08:26 PM

82 posts, read 92,054 times
I have been going to the Golden/Morrison area for runs as often as possible. There is a lot of great stuff out there.

Apex park
William Hayden Green Mountain
Lair O the Bear
North/South Table mountain
Mathew Winters park

Old 08-05-2016, 09:50 AM

686 posts, read 2,439,069 times
Get a Colorado State Parks pass and start out going to the parks near the area. Staunton State Park is great and allows dogs, as does Golden Gate Canyon State Park. Another great one not too far is Mueller State Park in Divide, which is less than a 2 hour drive. No dogs allowed there, however.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:13 PM

268 posts, read 346,048 times
Thanks to many OTHER people moving here, this is what is happening, enjoy the hikes and crowds!

Parking Lot Rage, Human Waste and Other Issues at Rocky Mountain National Park | Westword

Colorado Fourteeners: 260,000 Hikes and More Big Numbers From New Report | Westword

Old 08-05-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCurtisEstes View Post
Good thing I'm not bothered by crowds and don't park on the grass!

Old 08-05-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
What part of town are you in? Hiking suggestions will depend on that. Down here on the flat I personally enjoy hiking Castlewood Canyon State Park, but it's south of Parker and will be a long drive from anywhere north or west of downtown.
GVR, but I really don't mind driving for a hike. Always had to drive 2 hours at least before

Old 08-05-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradburn1 View Post
Roxborough State Park is really awesome, it's in Littleton. Doesn't allow dogs though.

Fowler trail in Eldorado State Park, south of Boulder. Parking is difficult, so if you have a day free on a non weekend, that's a good time to go.

South Mesa trail is really awesome and that's just before Eldorado State Park, is part of the Boulder County.

There are tons more, Denver/Boulder is really great for hiking. Here's some websites I use to find new trails:

Day Hikes Near Denver - Explore The Best Hikes In Colorado

Go Hike Colorado: Davidson Mesa Open Space, City of Louisville

https://bouldercolorado.gov/osmp/trails-and-maps
Thanks for the suggestions and the links! Eldorado SP was suggested by someone back home, I'll definitely have to check it out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver