Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 03:47 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrightside03 View Post
Web Developer. $55k/year. Wife stays at home with the kid.
That's going to be real rough in the Denver metro with 3 mouths to feed. Might be possible in a 1br, but you'd be living paycheck to paycheck. That might qualify you for subsidized housing though, which I'm not familiar with how much. The Springs would be a lot easier.'

Are you planning on working remotely or need to look for a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 03:48 PM

31 posts, read 61,088 times
This is really interesting to read and very helpful. But also very depressing as someone who had their hopes on Denver, Colorado...

Looking at other cities around the country, there just doesn't seem to be a place quite like it.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:51 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,108 times
Quote:
This is really interesting to read and very helpful. But also very depressing as someone who had their hopes on Denver, Colorado...

Looking at other cities around the country, there just doesn't seem to be a place quite like it.
Well at least you are finding out about it before you move here and find out the hard way.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:04 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
That goes both ways (good and bad). My experience hasn't lived up to my expectations, though living here has been great for me in every way........except socially and spiritually.

I find Colorado Springs to be a more genuine experience. If you can find a job there, I would recommend it. I've never lived there, but my wife and I go for the weekend occasionally when we need to unjade ourselves from Denver.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't even be considering Denver. There are so many more places out there that are more friendly economically. If you can get a job offer here for $75K, sure come on out, otherwise, it isn't worth the struggle IMHO.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:13 PM

82 posts, read 91,829 times
Just moved here with the gf from NJ. No pets, no kids. I make about 55K, she makes about 45K. We are both very low key and frugal in terms of spending/shopping/keeping ourselves entertained.

Currently, we are paying around 1900 ( rent, utilities, cable) for a really nice 1 bdroom a mile away from downtown.

We absolutely love it and think it is worth it. We both have a decent amount of college debt, but are okay with cutting it down only slowly.

We could have easily stayed in NJ, dealt with all of the NJ crap we didn't want to deal with anymore, find a cheap place in the middle of nowhere, and save a bunch of money to knock out our debt.

If we had kids, I think that would throw things wayyy off. That said, a family of 3 on only a 55K salary doesn't seem like the numbers would add up depending on your other bills.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:23 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,373 times
Quote:

Obviously nothing like Denver, but I would look at Knoxville, TN. COL is low, area is nice, very family friendly, has the smoky mountains, weather isn't too extreme and has 4 seasons. I have no idea about work in your field though. You get a lot for your money in Knoxville. Nashville is a much bigger city with more jobs, but housing cost in Nashville is going through the roof and pretty expensive now.

Last edited by High Altitude; 08-04-2016 at 04:31 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 05:11 PM

3,126 posts, read 5,050,140 times
I would say if you have to ask it isn't worth it. If you COL doesn't matter that much to you because you make enough and live below your means then it is totally worth it.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:33 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,508,250 times
If you are set on Colorado, check out Colorado Springs. The real estate is definitely cheaper than Denver. I think the biggest reason is that there aren't a lot of high paying tech jobs there, but if you can find one, it's a good alternative.

You have to consider that Denver is really the only major city within around 800 miles in any direction so there aren't a lot of options. Maybe you should check out Salt Lake City. It at least has Park City.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:02 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Denver is now for the "already made its".
That's a good way to put it.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:37 PM

937 posts, read 743,541 times
I'm not sure about job prospects there, but I'll throw out Roanoke, VA as a backup locale for you to consider. I think the economy is slow there. The Shenandoah Valley is enchanting and gorgeous in its own right, and the state of VA is quite the treasure trove of history and it's own proud sub-culture (concoct some story of your family line having arrived settled first in Salem or something or being distantly related to Thomas if you want to have a little social climbing fun :-). You have the mountains, coast, wineries, many very good colleges and universities, Charlottesville, revitalized historic towns, and easy access to DC. It is hot and muggy in summer, but the gorgeous green and lush rolling mountains and overall beautiful scenery across the state could make up for this. Virginia has this mix of very rural country-mountain folk, religious conservatives, highly educated, and very old moneyed, horse country- aristocratic people. The whole state has a unique vibe going on though, and it's kind of an undiscovered, sleepy gem.

Here is what you could eventually buy there when the time comes. Elementary school rated 10 and middle school a little lower.
Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgages & Home Values

Versus this in Denver- all level schools rated 2
Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgages & Home Values

Last edited by Chloe333; 08-04-2016 at 07:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver