Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 04:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,037 times

Advertisements

Hello,

my wife and I are moving to Denver and looking for places to rent. We are a same sex couple, early 30s, both in good careers with above average pay, no kids. Looking for houses with yards due to large dog. Work will be in Lakewood. We want the area we live in to be safe and relatively close to downtown (30 minutes or less). Any areas anyone recommends that is liberal, gay friendly, safe, with nice homes and yards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 05:10 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Budget?
Rent or buy?

Old 09-08-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Budget?
Rent or buy?
rent initially. budget is around 2500 for rent

Old 09-08-2016, 08:04 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Default Denver

Neighborhood in the City & County of Denver:
• Sloan's Lake
• West Highland
• Highland
• Berkeley (I am biased as I live here) http://www.3968vrain.com/English/Ber...ghborhood.html
This entire section of town could care less about your family construction.
Also, Edgewater, the town of.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:56 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,513 times
Gay guy in his 30s here.

Most of metro Denver is gay friendly. I work in the "conservative" south suburban DTC area and live in SE Denver, far away from the traditionally gay inter city. Most people here won't bat an eyelash. Denver metro is a very live-and-let-live place. There will be haters in any place, but my advice is to pick the place that you guys will love. Most of the western suburbs should easily fit the bill.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:36 AM

that is great to know, thanks for the info guys!

Old 09-09-2016, 08:31 AM

387 posts, read 637,960 times
Where in Lakewood will work be? I agree entirely with davebarnes list; but if you're looking to commute less and live closer to work, I'd also recommend looking in the Belmar area of Lakewood. There are definitely hit-and-miss pockets, so you'll have to drive the area to see the spots you'll want to focus on, but if the job is at the Fed Center or north of 285, this might be a good area for you.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:55 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,192,968 times
Denver proper has many good areas for the LGBT community. I would argue that you'd be fine anywhere. But I know there are larger LGBT populations around Capital Hill, Baker, and Uptown. Those are areas where I know there are several LGBT-friendly bars. My roommate/friend is gay, so I've been out with him a few times in the past to patronize some his favorite pubs. Those were the areas he'd spend most of his time.

It does, however, become a little more conservative, family-focused in some of the surrounding suburbs, as you'd probably expect.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:28 PM

31 posts, read 36,800 times
My partner and I recently relocated for work (gay couple here) and have had no issues in Westminster or any other parts of the metro area with gay-friendliness (we relocated from the SF Bay Area). If you want more liberal, then I would look into some of the inner city neighborhoods recommended above.

That aside, I do like Lakewood as it seems it's centrally located to everything.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:12 AM

244 posts, read 414,514 times
I am a married gay man in my mid-twenties. All of Denver is gay-friendly. The only time a gay slur was said to me was on the 16th street mall by a homeless person. Other than that, I have always had people be open and friendly to myself and my husband.

We live in City Park South, but I have also lived in Capitol Hill. I moved here from the East Coast (Buffalo, NY) and experienced a lot more hostility on a weekly basis there than I ever have in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver