Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 05:29 PM

12 posts, read 30,337 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Firestone and am interested in finding a homebuilder who can build a house with a mother-in-law suite above the garage. I'm thinking that to get this feature, I will have to find a semi-custom builder. Is this correct? Or do you know of any communities in this area that allow for that to be added? I'm pretty certain that the community that we live in now would not allow this addition onto our house, although I haven't checked into this option.

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 06:26 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Some homebuilders have built this model. Lone Tree comes to mind. Right now, Lennar is building a two residences in one building in Stapleton - Stapleton New Home Community - Denver, Colorado | Lennar Homes There is an outbuilding in this listing - go to recolorado.com enter in 9480404 as the MLS # or this townhome with a mom in law suite # 6819039

Old 07-16-2016, 08:16 PM

698 posts, read 2,046,473 times
We have them here in Bradburn Vilage--Westminster. We call them carriage houses, but they are officially called accessory dwelling units (ADUs). In my neighborhood the primary builder was New Town Builders, now called Thrive builders. We had multiple custom builders who added them also but I don't believe any of them are still in business.

The ability to add these units is determined by zoning and by the city's regulations, also HOA rules if you have a HOA. Here in Westminster you are only allowed to have an ADU with a full kitchen if you are located on a corner lot due to accessibility during a fire. You probably have already, but check with your city (or county if applicable) if they allow ADUs. As mentioned, Stapleton has them also, as does Prospect New Town in Longmont, also Belle Creek in Henderson. They are super cool and great to have for an aging parent, a home office, or boomerang kids. Or to rent for extra income. My neighbors do all of those with theirs here.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:55 PM

194 posts, read 273,061 times
Lewis Pointe in Thornton has a cool model home, Next Gen. Not above the garage though.... Grantham New Home Plan in Lewis Pointe Grand Collection by Lennar

Old 07-16-2016, 09:41 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default GJ Gardner - Denver

Home Builders in Denver | G.J. Gardner Homes

They were the GC for my house -- 3968 Vrain Street, Berkeley, Denver, CO 80212-2251 USA
Good quality.
Excellent warranty service.

Highly recommended.

Mention my name and I will get a free beer at Call to Arms Brewing Company | Denver, Colorado |

Old 07-17-2016, 02:44 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,144,961 times
People who are looking to buy a home with space for their parents look for designs that have accessibility for mobility issues. You probably will have to go with a custom builder if you want a space with stairs over a garage. You might want to consider the downside of stairs if you plan on having an elderly parent live with you.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:47 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradburn1 View Post
The ability to add these units is determined by zoning and by the city's regulations, also HOA rules if you have a HOA.

More than that, there are structural requirements to allow a second story dwelling that a large percentage of average garages can't meet. Garages that are on the side or detached from the main house will typically be on 6-8" slab construction without adequate depth or the necessary footers to support the additional load that is created by adding an entire second story apartment on to them. Don't be surprised if, even if they are allowed by zoning, your local building department requires a structural analysis by an engineering firm before granting a permit to begin such work. Then, don't be surprised if their recommendation is to demo the entire garage to redo the foundation before proceeding with building.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:29 AM

698 posts, read 2,046,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
More than that, there are structural requirements to allow a second story dwelling that a large percentage of average garages can't meet. Garages that are on the side or detached from the main house will typically be on 6-8" slab construction without adequate depth or the necessary footers to support the additional load that is created by adding an entire second story apartment on to them
That is an excellent point I had not thought of. Many people in my neighborhood are looking at adding carriage houses above detached garages that do not already have them, they are very popular. Will have to ask them about this specifically.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:16 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
People who are looking to buy a home with space for their parents look for designs that have accessibility for mobility issues. You probably will have to go with a custom builder if you want a space with stairs over a garage. You might want to consider the downside of stairs if you plan on having an elderly parent live with you.
That was my thought as well, I would be concerned about the stairs.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:00 PM

618 posts, read 1,365,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiesue View Post
I currently live in Firestone and am interested in finding a homebuilder who can build a house with a mother-in-law suite above the garage. I'm thinking that to get this feature, I will have to find a semi-custom builder. Is this correct? Or do you know of any communities in this area that allow for that to be added? I'm pretty certain that the community that we live in now would not allow this addition onto our house, although I haven't checked into this option.

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions!
Parkwood builds above garage carriage homes in Stapleton. McStain also built those in Stapleton, but they are no longer working in the neighborhood. In addition to Stapleton, Lennar offers its NextGen models in Leyden Rock in Arvada, Lewis Point and Amber Creek in Thornton and coming soon to Longmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver