Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 06:26 PM

19 posts, read 26,085 times

Advertisements

I know I am piggy backing on this thread, but I just want to say I appreciate all the sources everyone has listed. I am in a similar boat as the OP, in that I also work in tech and am looking to relocate to Denver in order to give my children a more out doors type lifestyle. However, currently located in Austin, not Chicago. Issue down here is that it is to dang hot to really go out for any long periods of time and do anything.

I am a Database Administrator, and well I do see plenty of job postings for SQL Server knowledge, it does also seem that HR is usually looking for someone local, and not a relo. Any other tips on how to get past HR for a potential interview other then a P.O box? We definitely plan on moving to Denver, but would like to have a job lined up prior to the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 06:07 AM

57 posts, read 202,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyupgrl View Post
Is there any opportunity to keep your Chicago job and work remote?

Hubby and I both work in tech and were able to keep our jobs while moving out here (neither one of our companies employs a lot of remote people outside of sales roles, but we were able to make it work). If you have strong knowledge of your current company's infrastructure, I'm guessing you're a valuable asset and they might make an effort to keep you, regardless of a move?
This would be the ideal situation. I have discussed this with my employer. Their attitude is that as a project manager, I need to be in physically on site with the team (50+ people) that I manage. I could move but I would need to commute weekly. I don't want to spend that much time away from my son. There is the outside chance that if I resign with the only reason being that I want to move away from Chicago, they may say okay, but it is not a gamble I want to take.
I am very well compensated with my current employer. The overall package is excellent, and I have been with them for a long time.
My challenge is do I go for a better quality of lifestyle and a lesser remuneration package, or do I stay where I am for financial reasons only?
Thank you for your response.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:57 AM

57 posts, read 202,754 times
@denver_hacker.
Thank you once again. I'll check out those links.
I've actually applied to Arrow Electronics for two positions. Heard nothing back (Shredder )
I've also applied with Kaiser Permanente. Same deal. Crickets.

I have been with smallish consulting firms (50 - 150 employees) for many years doing mostly consulting work for external clients. I've also been with large insurance companies and banks. I'm pretty comfortable in both types of environments, and with a mix of waterfall and agile approaches.

I'm going to have to network though, and actually get in front of people physically. I believe that is likely to show more results than the online route.

I will say that I am quite shocked at the unprofessional attitude of the recruitment industry in general. I have had several telephone interviews with recruiters. They seem interested primarily in hourly rate, and not much else. For the most part they have short term contracts, and they don't seem too concerned about a candidate having the appropriate experience. They seem to want to fill positions regardless of proper fit. And forget about them actually returning calls. Very unprofessional and leaves a bad impression of the industry.
I think approaching employers directly is a better option.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:10 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,473,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddabigboom View Post
I know I am piggy backing on this thread, but I just want to say I appreciate all the sources everyone has listed. I am in a similar boat as the OP, in that I also work in tech and am looking to relocate to Denver in order to give my children a more out doors type lifestyle. However, currently located in Austin, not Chicago. Issue down here is that it is to dang hot to really go out for any long periods of time and do anything.

I am a Database Administrator, and well I do see plenty of job postings for SQL Server knowledge, it does also seem that HR is usually looking for someone local, and not a relo. Any other tips on how to get past HR for a potential interview other then a P.O box? We definitely plan on moving to Denver, but would like to have a job lined up prior to the move.
That's because lots of people think it would be fun to relocate and jump at opportunities in other cities only to back out at the last minute when they realize how much work is actually involved in moving across the country. I know how painful it is, I'm in the middle of a cross country move right now.

However, if you already have a plan in place to relocate, it will make it easier for recruiters/HR to take you seriously. Assume that you've just been offered a position in Denver and they want you to start in ~3 weeks. Start writing down all the things you need to do to relocate within three weeks. If you have a checklist created and can discuss your plan to relocate in short order, you have a much better chance of the recruiters taking you seriously.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:46 AM

369 posts, read 966,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL2SOCAL View Post
@denver_hacker.
Thank you once again. I'll check out those links.
I've actually applied to Arrow Electronics for two positions. Heard nothing back (Shredder )
I've also applied with Kaiser Permanente. Same deal. Crickets.

I have been with smallish consulting firms (50 - 150 employees) for many years doing mostly consulting work for external clients. I've also been with large insurance companies and banks. I'm pretty comfortable in both types of environments, and with a mix of waterfall and agile approaches.

I'm going to have to network though, and actually get in front of people physically. I believe that is likely to show more results than the online route.

I will say that I am quite shocked at the unprofessional attitude of the recruitment industry in general. I have had several telephone interviews with recruiters. They seem interested primarily in hourly rate, and not much else. For the most part they have short term contracts, and they don't seem too concerned about a candidate having the appropriate experience. They seem to want to fill positions regardless of proper fit. And forget about them actually returning calls. Very unprofessional and leaves a bad impression of the industry.
I think approaching employers directly is a better option.
I've heard through the grapevine that Arrow hit a bad few quarters - my guess is that hiring is at a near stop.

Most of the "IT Recruiters" out there are just body shops trying to fill slots based on buzzword matching. You probably don't want those jobs anyway - if you want something at a decent software product company, reaching out directly is best as they generally don't use third party recruiters.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:09 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,043,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
That's because lots of people think it would be fun to relocate and jump at opportunities in other cities only to back out at the last minute when they realize how much work is actually involved in moving across the country. I know how painful it is, I'm in the middle of a cross country move right now.

However, if you already have a plan in place to relocate, it will make it easier for recruiters/HR to take you seriously. Assume that you've just been offered a position in Denver and they want you to start in ~3 weeks. Start writing down all the things you need to do to relocate within three weeks. If you have a checklist created and can discuss your plan to relocate in short order, you have a much better chance of the recruiters taking you seriously.
I agree with this. You should come up with some compelling reason that will assure HR you will relocate. I wouldn't even exclude a possibility of fibbing, and telling that your spouse either already has a job offer in Denver or is in the final stages of interview process for a position located in Denver.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:46 PM

50 posts, read 56,681 times
I sent you a pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver