Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2016, 09:49 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
Just because you live in a bubble doesn't give you the right to be condescending and rude to me. I simply pointed out that I've accomplished everything on my own already, though admittedly, it could have probably been better had I not graduated during the Great Recession. This is a statistically supported argument.

Maybe instead of being rude to me, you could educate yourself on the facts. Yes, I get that we all have our struggles. I've just pointed out that things could have been much better given different circumstances.

And I do agree with one thing you said. I probably will be just fine over time. I had the grit and determination to make it this far on my own, so I'm sure I'll have what it takes to expand on what I've already achiieved.
And that is the point.

That and the fact that you are not the only person who has struggled.

Not sure why you keep thinking I (and presumably others in generations other than yours)live in some sort of "bubble" - you don't think your responses have been condescending?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 09:59 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,192,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And that is the point.

That and the fact that you are not the only person who has struggled.

Not sure why you keep thinking I (and presumably others in generations other than yours)live in some sort of "bubble" - you don't think your responses have been condescending?
A bubble in the sense that you don't seem to really grasp what it's like to have experienced what I have personally experienced, and hence why I feel a particular way about how things are today. I don't blame you for that, because you couldn't possibly know. However, I think that you lack empathy in this particular case. I'm not asking for a pity party. I've never been keen about asking anyone for anything. But I don't particularly appreciate being attacked either, as if I'm some entitled brat who wants handouts. I've never asked for a handout in my life. Everything I've achieved has been on my own. That said, I do recognize that it is more difficult than ever to achieve any semblance of the "American Dream", and I believe that to be a credible criticism of today's society. And as a concerned parent, I would suspect that you would be worried for your children's sake the world we are setting up for them. You can't just be average anymore to achieve an average life. If you're okay with that, fine. But I think it's ridiculous the amount of loopholes I've had to jump through just to have a life like my parents did, who only graduated from high school.

I have done a lot of research on this topic about graduating during the recession of 2008. I am fairly confident in what I have said here as being truthful, not just as anecdotal evidence, but as statistically-driven arguments that support it.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
A bubble in the sense that you don't seem to really grasp what it's like to have experienced what I have personally experienced, and hence why I feel a particular way about how things are today. I don't blame you for that, because you couldn't possibly know. However, I think that you lack empathy in this particular case. I'm not asking for a pity party. I've never been keen about asking anyone for anything. But I don't particularly appreciate being attacked either, as if I'm some entitled brat who wants handouts. I've never asked for a handout in my life.

I have done a lot of research on this topic about graduating during the recession of 2008. I am fairly confident in what I have said here as being truthful, not just as anecdotal evidence, but as statistically-driven arguments that support it.

And I could say the same of you.

You do seem to come across as if you believe are the only one who has faced challenges or that your challenges are somehow more substantial than those of others.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:12 PM
SQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And I could say the same of you.

You do seem to come across as if you believe are the only one who has faced challenges or that your challenges are somehow more substantial than those of others.
There is plenty of evidence that supports the idea that it is far more difficult now or during the recession than it was in years past. I'm not talking about anyone in particular, but overall. The only reason we are discussing this is because you commented to me. I don't know what you have personally sacrificed to make it here, because you've yet to disclose any information. Did you go through what I went through to be here? Have you had the same struggles of graduating into a recession and forefoing financial gains as a result? I have no idea if you've had a difficult life or not. You suggested that your parents paid for your college which is already significantly better than I had it. Not having student loan payments is a huge burden off your chest.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
There is plenty of evidence that supports the idea that it is far more difficult now or during the recession than it was in years past. I'm not talking about anyone in particular, but overall. The only reason we are discussing this is because you commented to me. I don't know what you have personally sacrificed to make it here, because you've yet to disclose any information. Did you go through what I went through to be here? Have you had the same struggles of graduating into a recession and forefoing financial gains as a result? I have no idea if you've had a difficult life or not. You suggested that your parents paid for your college which is already significantly better than I had it. Not having student loan payments is a huge burden off your chest.
1. Because I have no interest in taking part in a poor-me contest. Everyone here has a story. Trust me.

2. College loans are but one part of life. If that is the biggest burden you ever carry, be grateful.

From what I can tell you have a college degree from one of the nation's top schools. I'm guessing you had the good fortune to pay in state tuition for that privilege.

You have a job. One good enough to purchase a home. Even if it's a condo.

Guessing you have decent benefits.

You aren't complaining that you have a serious illness, or that your wife or child is suffering.

You are living in a city that people aspire to live in (not making a judgement on whether that's good or bad). People post about coming here without a job, just for the opportunity.

The economy is trending up and you're young. You could have been 60 and laid off in 2008. Much better to struggle when you are young, educated and employable, than when you are too young to retire, too young for medicare , yet old enough it's difficult to get hired.

Last edited by maciesmom; 10-10-2016 at 10:45 PM..

Old 10-11-2016, 07:33 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
I think you have no clue how good you've had it.

I moved here in 2007, when I was 23. My mother (my only parent) had died the year prior, and we (wife/kids) came out here from CA with $6K and a dream. No jobs, no college degrees, 2 car payments (yes, stupid), and 3 kids (one of whom was diagnosed with brain cancer 34 days after we moved to CO, my wife lost her job because of it). I worked two full-time jobs, and it was barely enough. The baby passed away the following year.

In 2009, I had to take a relocation to keep my job. I had to relocate again 6 months later (again, to keep my job).

In 2011, I was told I had to take a 20% pay cut, to keep my job. I was planning on moving to ND to work in the oil fields (to support my family, the pay cut wouldn't have kept us afloat), but my then-boss decided I was worth keeping around, so he made me a deal, and gave my wife a part-time job.

This year, I purchased the company I've been working for since 2007. Said company has grown six-fold since I started, at least partially due to my direction (prior to the purchase).

You have no place to complain. Your "post-recession" is the best economy I've participated in since I graduated high school in 2001. Your problems don't compare to ANYTHING I've faced. "Foregoing financial gains"? Top 10% of the first world problems.

Good economy or not, you have to make your own way. As much as we like to think things were better back in the day, in many ways, they were not.

If I were in my 2007-shoes today, I would not move to Denver. There is somewhere else where struggling 23 year olds can make it more easily.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:33 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
Mr Aguilar ,
Tragic and inspiring story . I would like to know more about your company.....

Old 10-11-2016, 08:51 AM

204 posts, read 201,712 times
Wow! I'm curious to see if SQL wants to come back now and double down on how bad he has it and that nobody here understands his struggle.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:59 AM
SQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
Wow! I'm curious to see if SQL wants to come back now and double down on how bad he has it and that nobody here understands his struggle.
I've responded to those whom I wanted to in private. There's no reason to make this circus about me, as that wasn't the point in the first place. I stated before that I was not seeking a pity party. This is not about one's personal struggle, but rather the overall increased difficulty to live a "middle class" life today compared to what I've seen my parents and elder relatives do in order to achieve the same. They've had significantly more opportunity at nearly half the price and effort required of my generation, and likely, future generations. They didn't have to spend $10k, $20k, $30k, $40k+ on an education, to get a modest-earning job where they live, to afford a modest home, to start a family, and to live in a safe and vibrant neighborhood. And despite all of the check boxes being checked off, me, and many others in my generation, cannot single-handedly afford modest homes/apartments in modest neighborhoods, or dream about starting families, etc.

Last edited by SQL; 10-11-2016 at 09:12 AM..

Old 10-11-2016, 09:12 AM

760 posts, read 882,541 times
It's more about the generations as a whole, and no so much about personal success/burden stories.

As a whole, this recent generation has been faced with some of the most difficult economic situations we've had in decades. So sure...SQL and myself are doing pretty well, so we personally have no room to complain about our own situation, and yes some of you have had some personal tragedies, but statistically this generational doesn't have it as well as previous generations.

The problem with college grads now is that we never had a decent opportunity to really "make it". Before it was having massive student loans with no jobs available, and now it's having a job with a stagnant wage, or having a job with no benefits, while housing costs skyrocket year after year. If wages rise and housing costs stabilize in the next few years, offering us a similar opportunity to make it in a good economy like all the previous generations, than sure, we won't have any right to complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver