Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 11:17 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times

Advertisements

Looks like drought is starting to take place again in CO. I recalled in 2012, most of CO was in the dark red.

Regional Drought Monitor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 10:33 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
^^^

I suspected as much. It's been a very dry fall here in the SW quadrant of the state. Normally, a person should be able to go out and take a look toward the San Juans and the La Platas by now and see them begin to grow white with the coming winter's snow pack. I was doing some mountain gazing today and everything up in the mountains just looked a sort of dreary grey. Let's all hope that the snow gods will dump a bunch of white stuff up there soon. Your link also noted that the Estimated Population in Drought Areas: 43,623,109. That's almost 44 million Westerners who stand to be impacted by on-coming drought.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:25 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Fourth-warmest October recorded in Denver | FOX31 Denver

Old 11-01-2016, 03:04 PM

1,950 posts, read 2,298,854 times
[ This global warming thing is for reals, folks. You can tell by the fossil record - ie the memories of old people like me. I've been enjoying the pleasant fall days out here in the Four Corners, but what we really need are a few good snow storms and some cold weather. I hate to think of what next year's fire season will be like if this continues.[/quote]

ha ha " the fossil record " . I have been talking to colleagues from all over , Arkansas , New Mexico , Texas , Arizona , everyone agrees this is the warmest Oct. they can remember . Someday we may become like Saudi Arabia where every day is " 129 F " because if it is higher they have too send everyone home from work ...

Old 11-01-2016, 03:14 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
We are indeed in an unusually warm and dry spell, and if it continues it could be cause for concern. It may be spring now before we have a chance for some good moisture - November - February tend not to be very wet for us. I've seen frost only once this season so far, and only snow high on the mountains a few times that isn't lasting - that is not typical for here and not a good sign. I do appreciate the cheap heating bill, but warm weather when it isn't supposed to be can mean bad things - like pine beetle infestations killing more trees, drought, fires, stressed wildlife, alpine habitat loss, higher water supply demands in a state where water is already a problem, etc.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:46 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
fwiw, it's also been really warm here in Chicago this fall. Today is November 1st and it's 75 and Sunny in Chicago!

Old 11-01-2016, 04:28 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
We are indeed in an unusually warm and dry spell, and if it continues it could be cause for concern. It may be spring now before we have a chance for some good moisture - November - February tend not to be very wet for us. I've seen frost only once this season so far, and only snow high on the mountains a few times that isn't lasting - that is not typical for here and not a good sign. I do appreciate the cheap heating bill, but warm weather when it isn't supposed to be can mean bad things - like pine beetle infestations killing more trees, drought, fires, stressed wildlife, alpine habitat loss, higher water supply demands in a state where water is already a problem, etc.
Otowi's words are all too true. Finally today is has become cooler and cloudy out here. And - good news! The weather forecast says to "expect accumulating snow above 10kft early Saturday morning. The San Juans should see the brunt of precipitation with gefs still honing in on that area, with the possibility of 3-6 inches of snow above 11kft." You go, Telluride! Actually maybe folks can come out here pretty soon and hit the slopes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver