Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 09:47 PM

135 posts, read 270,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm not that familiar with specific Aurora neighborhoods but I think there are some areas that are to the east of Anschutz that are nice and in your price range.

You could also look at Green Valley Ranch - your budget would get you into a detached single family there if you would prefer that to a townhouse.

There is an RTD stop near the campus, and a shuttle bus to and from the station from a few spots on campus, so that might be something else to check out to possibly open up more locations that might work for you.
Thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 04:11 PM

371 posts, read 365,531 times
Aurora is just BAD.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:35 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
Aurora is just BAD.
Parts of it, maybe, but much of the outer areas are well liked by our posters.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:05 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Aurora is just BAD.
Sorry but this statement is just BAD. Aurora is 150 square miles. There are some bad parts, there are some great parts and obviously lots of in between.

And no, I don't live in Aurora. But I am aware of reality vs. uninformed stereotypes.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:15 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Aurora is just BAD.
let me know when you find a clue.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:39 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Aurora is just BAD.
“Chic”? I don’t think so.
5% of Aurora is crap.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greentea323 View Post
I felt safer on areas of Federal/Sheridan than I did in the part of Aurora we recently lived in. Although...it could have been because I was a teen & the, "gang," members were my friends. But, there were way less shootings that I heard and way less scary things. I really think the difference is working class Hispanic population vs. unemployed African American, with the latter making poverty much more uncomfortable.

Within a period of 5 years I lived near Federal & Evans, Federal & Florida, Florida & Sheridan, 1st & Federal, & Alameda & Federal. The only area that felt remotely unsafe to me was near the Westwood projects on Kentucky - my friend was dating a guy there and it was out if control violent. I heard gunshots once from a house I actually lived in - Vallejo & Jewell and occasionally on Cinco De Mayo. The gang violence I saw was mostly friends. I walked to school or took the bus from 12-16 - sometimes very late at night, and despite the Mexican men who try to pick you up at the bus stop and occasional tweakers (which I just refused to make eye contact with and put on a hood) I never felt afraid.

However, after buying & living in a townhome in Aurora near Abilene & Iowa (behind the AFW) we had to get out within 6 months. There's a housing project & cheap apartments - The Carson's and certain unemployed, Section 8 receiving gang members were running some sort of crack ring getting deliveries of drugs at 11 am on a Tuesday from a guy's trunk who could barely function, every Tuesday, then heading out on their bikes to distribute it to the other unemployed African Americans in the area. There were 3 shootings behind our fence within 3 months, gunshots almost every weekend, and then even the surrounding areas had issues like a shooting in the middle of the road on Iliff last December, some sort of raid on Mississippi they closed the roads, gun man walking around Chambers gas station one night, robberies car break ins, etc. Entire group of bloods having a party in the parking lot until they got drunk & started fighting, etc. We have lived in other parts of Aurora, but this area was terrible. Thankfully we made a profit on the stupid townhome. Anyways, I doubt OP would look there anyways, but I've talked to others who have experienced similar. It gives Aurora a bad name. I was afraid in Aurora. It wasn't just the police collecting bullet shells? Behind my fence that could have hurt my child - it was visiting a Target and walking in on a homeless woman? man? shooting up, and being stuck at a gas station with my toddler in the back while a crazed man on drugs? waved a gun around, and being stuck on Iliff before Havana after hearing gun shots and finding out someone was randomly killed, or the gang members outside the Walmart/Mall/Park. We lived on 6th & Chambers as well as by the AFB before this, and it wasn't near as bad, but that one pocket and the Colfax area need help. Maybe the lightrail will help.
So you were in a gang, heard gunshots ring out from a house you actually lived in, lived near out of control violent projects, possible sexual assault with older men hitting on underage girls, and the "occasional" run in with a drug addict, but you felt safe?

"I really think the difference is working class Hispanic population vs. unemployed African American, with the latter making poverty much more uncomfortable."

Oh I see, it's because of the scary black people and you're afraid of them. There's crime and then there's UNEMPLOYED AFRICAN AMERICAN CRIME.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:41 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
It is also near Commerce City which is high crime. When I moved to Colorado and was looking for a place to live, the people at work just said "Stay out of Aurora". I ended up in Lone Tree.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:21 PM

4,030 posts, read 2,715,223 times
I lived in Aurora for 15 years, from 2000 to 2015, off of Mississippi in the stretch between Havana and 225. I think the worst problems I had in all that time were 1.) A bunch of teenage boys in my complex pulling pranks (which their parents gave them hell for when they got caught), and 2.) Panhandlers started getting pretty frequent and aggressive towards my last year or two there.

If anything, I'd have to say that things that drove me out of that neighborhood had nothing to do with Aurora in and of itself. My next-door neighbor was a major PITA (of the type where she was complaining to the HOA about *every* little things her neighbors did), and the HOA itself was asinine to deal with.

There were other reasons that added to the "OK, I'm moving" mindset, but none of them had to do with Aurora itself.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:49 AM

371 posts, read 365,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
“Chic”? I don’t think so.
5% of Aurora is crap.

I think you have your stats reversed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver